CA sales numbers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skryll

I see a ton of tesla model S, Nissan Leaf, and also some other brands a bit less frequent on the streets of San Francisco and the East Bay area, but I am yet to see another eGolf. How come? I think it's such an awesome car, for the price all performance, looks and convenience wise.

Maybe the owners of northern california should organize themselves and show some presence to ramp up the interest, because I think people are missing out...

Maybe I should buy another one and put it on getaround.com :)

I'm over in Oakland and also see very few. In fact, only one other eGolf where I live (Montclair area). Don't forget, the car is fairly new, only being introduced in November while Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) have been out for years.

Same here in NY. I have yet to see another egolf, and some of the local dealers appear to have the same car for sale since November. It's like owning a 43K bmw 328i for 27K. They really should be flying off the shelves. Also bev articles and non-egolf forums constantly mention Tesla, i3 and leaf but rarely egolf. Very puzzling.

Ron

There are a few in the Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito area where I live. I regularly see a blue one in North Berkeley and a silver one in the Albany area. I have a white one. I think there have only been about 1500 total sold in the U.S. so far (roughly 1200 this year with about another 300 or so, I think last year). There's been an upward sales trend recently with may having the highest sales numbers yet (410 sold in May). Here's a link to this year's U.S. sales numbers through May. http://insideevs.com/may-2015-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

All that said, I agree that the marketing of the car could be better. It's such a great car and I feel like nobody even knows it exists.

I think part of the problem is that the car is so low key. I do a PEV count during evening rush hour every few months a few cities south of Oakland, and I've ID'd precisely one e-Golf in the wild. In a two hour span from say 4:30 to 6:30 I'll typically see 60+ PEVs, with PiPs/LEAFS/Volts in double figures, 2-4 Model S, maybe 1-2 500es, 1-3 Fusion Energis, a C-Max, and the occasional RAV4/Focus/Soul/Spark/Smart/i3/i8/Fit. I've seen a single iMiEV and a single B-Class too.

The thing is, I may well have missed many e-Golfs, because in massed traffic its distinguishing marks require too many mental cycles to ID. By comparison, LEAFs/Volts/Model S/i3s/i8s are obvious; PiPs and 500es easy from most angles; Fusion and C-Max easy from the sides; from the front Souls, Sparks (very tough from any other angle), RAV4s and Fits; and the B-class is rare and not difficult. The e-Golf is unquestionably the hardest to ID at a glance. From the front you've got to spot the thin chrome, the tiny e-Golf on the grill or (best bet in heavy traffic) the closed off upper grill. From the sides, two tiny badges on the fenders. From the rear, the name on one side only. None of these are particularly high up and easy to see when there's other cars around it.

VW has achieved what they appear to have aimed at, a BEV almost indistinguishable from other Golfs.

Back