Torn leatherette seat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1815

Hello fellow e-Golf owners!

The driver seat of my 2016 e-Golf SEL has developed a tear along the stitching that is growing ever longer. This is disappointing. Is there any advice for repair/replacement at a reasonable cost? Are the e-Golf seats the same as those used in the ICE Golf Mk VII?

Thanks!

Jeff4 said:
Hello fellow e-Golf owners!

The driver seat of my 2016 e-Golf SEL has developed a tear along the stitching that is growing ever longer. This is disappointing. Is there any advice for repair/replacement at a reasonable cost? Are the e-Golf seats the same as those used in the ICE Golf Mk VII?

Thanks!

Other than the fabric/stitching I think the ICE Golf and the E-Golf have the exact same seats.

To follow up:

I got a couple of quotes. The vinyl panel can be replaced for about $250-$300, but the replacement panel will likely be subtly different from original (one upholsterer said, "You'll know the difference, but nobody else will."). I decided instead to purchase the entire OEM bottom seat cover, which is shared by several Golf Alltrack and Golf SportWagen models. I found it online for about $200, and the upholsterer will remove the old and install the new for about $130, giving me a final cost of less than $350. Not surprisingly, my local VW dealer gave me quote for the same (replace with OEM cover) at over $600.

I bought a 2015 SEL e-Golf. It too has some slightly torn "beige" leatherette seats. The developing tear in mine is in a section of the perforated portion of the butt of the seat. Is yours on the side? How does the replacement look to you now that you've had the work done?

I bought a 2015 SEL e-Golf. It too has some slightly torn "beige" leatherette seats. The developing tear in mine is in a section of the perforated portion of the butt of the seat. Is yours on the side? How does the replacement look to you now that you've had the work done?

Yes, my tear was also where I sat. With the old cover removed and an OEM seat cover installed, I cannot tell the difference between it and all the other seats. BTW, I did try a cheap vinyl repair kit, but it looked awful.

Back