What’s a “good” miles/kWh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it is possible to average 7.8 miles/kWh, weather you drive on the highway or not. If you are really efficient around town, you could probably get 6 mi/kWh, but even that tough to achieve. What are the efficiency units you chose? mi/kWh, km/kWh, or kWh/100 km? If the units you are reporting are km/kWh, then 7.3 to 7.8 km/kWh makes sense and you are doing a decent job driving efficiently.

I just don't see how it would be possible to average above 6 miles/kWh over the long term, unless maybe you're always driving downhill. Over 7 seems impossible in any sort of normal driving situation. Maybe you mean kilometers/kWh?

The best I've ever done for a single driving session was 6.3 miles/kWh for local driving, and I can regularly get around 6 in the right weather and terrain conditions with no highway driving. My long term average since May in New England has been 5.2 miles/kWh; winter driving last winter, I averaged 4.0 miles/kWh. Over 2 years and 20,000 miles, I've averaged just shy of 4.5 miles/kWh in all seasons. I have a 2018 SEL with a heat pump, by the way, and my mix of driving is like 75/25 local roads/highways.

finamore123 said:
the infotainment center will show me that im averaging 7.3-7.8kWh? a few weeks ago it was between 6-6.8kWh.. Im wondering what this means since I'm new to EV, I haven't been able to figure it out..

I also recall that after I charged it was at 4.3? but the whole way home it just rose up to about 7.8kWh. Im usually driving on the freeway.

It's important to include your units. Based on the numbers it sounds like you're talking about kilometers. 5 km/kWh would be around the low you would see in hard winter conditions, 8 km/kWh would be a summer time city driving number. Sounds like you're doing fine.

manybees said:
I just don't see how it would be possible to average above 6 miles/kWh over the long term, unless maybe you're always driving downhill. Over 7 seems impossible in any sort of normal driving situation. Maybe you mean kilometers/kWh?

The best I've ever done for a single driving session was 6.3 miles/kWh for local driving, and I can regularly get around 6 in the right weather and terrain conditions with no highway driving. My long term average since May in New England has been 5.2 miles/kWh; winter driving last winter, I averaged 4.0 miles/kWh. Over 2 years and 20,000 miles, I've averaged just shy of 4.5 miles/kWh in all seasons. I have a 2018 SEL with a heat pump, by the way, and my mix of driving is like 75/25 local roads/highways.

The 2017, 2018 and 2019 do not seem to be capable of the miles per kwh that the 2015 and 2016 versions get, due to the more powerful motor, being less efficient at slower speeds. I have test driven the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models, and i struggled to get much better than 5.4 or 5.5 miles per kwh doing my best city driving at 35 to 40 mph in Blvd traffic, in weather that normally gets me 6.0 to 6.3 Miles /kwh in my 2015 SEL.

manybees said:

Exactly the same experience with my 2019 SE with 15K. Add to that, with studded snows in the winter the efficiency drops to 2.9-3.4 miles/kWh. Alas this is our around town/errand/appointment/shopping car.

I got 3.2 miles/kWh yesterday in -6 F weather. All I had to do was not turn the heat on.
Let's just say I'm really looking forward to getting a car with a heated steering wheel.

Back