manybees

Re: Help! My car won't go into reverse (just moves forward)...

f1geek wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:09 pm Exactly. I have forgotten to press the brake pedal occasionally and instead of the green Ready indicator on the dash, I see a yellow EPC indicator on the %PWR gauge face and the needle will also be pointing to “Off”. When you press the brake and then the start button, the needle will point up to 0.
On the Digital Dashboard on my SEL, the word "Ready" actually appears in green in the lower left of the "cluster" area.
2018 VW e-Golf SEL Premium (w/ DAP) - Silver White w/ black interior
Sparklebeard

EPS

From what I understand, the real purpose of this indicator light is not to indicate a power steering system failure, but instead to elicit a response of "WHY ISN'T THE CAR WORKI... oh I need to press the brake..." :mrgreen: :lol:

I don't notice the READY light so easily, but I have got used to noticing the EPS light to tell me that it's user error!

Edited: because I accidentally wrote EPC, as if Electronic Power Cheering were a feature of the vehicle....
Last edited by Sparklebeard on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
⚡️2016 e-Golf SEL in Deep Black Pearl⚡️ (The Handsome Boy 1.0)
⚡️2019 e-Golf SEL in Indium Gray ⚡️ (The Handsome Boy 1.1)
f1geek

Just forgot to press the brake pedal today. Got “EPC” light (not EPS), as before.
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior, purchased in early 2018
2015 e-Golf SEL leased for three years, returned in early 2018
sarsonj

Happened to my wife today. 2007 e-golf. I called dealer and they told me, that there is no such problem reported in VW problems system. Does anybody has other reply from dealer?

Jindrich
f1geek

I looked over this thread and saw so many times the phrase "this happened to my wife...". Seems to be happening mostly to women. I wonder why? Did your wife see the EPC indicator on the dashboard or the Ready indicator? Can YOU reproduce this? Can you watch what your wife does to have this problem?
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior, purchased in early 2018
keuller

f1geek wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:12 pm Seems to be happening mostly to women. I wonder why?
Husband with a penis here, I have had the reverse-results-in-forward-movement issue occur twice after periods of driving, NOT immediately after startup.

The first was at a light when the car in front of me started to backup to make room for a turning semi. I shifted into reverse but when applying pressure to the accelerator pedal the car began to inch forward instead of backwards. I immediately stopped, shifted to neutral, then shifted back into reverse and the car reversed as expected.

Today was the second time when I was in line to drop my kid off at school. I put the car in park but did not power off while she hopped out. The car in front of me was taking their time with no other cars around so I shifted into reverse to back up and go around. Everything seemed right, back up camera turned on, car beeped, I look behind and slow apply pressure to the accelerator and the car moved forward (flat ground) under power, not rolling, definitely matched the power I was applying.

I stopped this time and DID NOT shift or power off the car. Instead I waited until the car ahead of me left to experiment. I sat with my foot on the brake pedal until they left. Then slowly accelerated and the car continued forward while the reverse gear was physically selected and the dash indicator showed I was in reverse. I stopped but did not shift then I tried accelerating very quickly and the car proceeded forward still.

At this point I stopped, shifted into park, turned off the power, exited the vehicle to talk to the principle (since I was clearly doing something strange in the drop off zone). After entering my vehicle and powering up, everything behaved as normal when I tested reverse again and I went on my way.

The greatest lesson I learned from this thread today is to take a video. I'm going to do that next time.
f1geek

Great to hear (it seems) the e-Gilf does not malfunction based on the driver’s gender! 😊

Clearly this is a software or hardware (switch) issue that needs to corrected ASAP. Best of luck!

Return to “Technical Discussions”