NurStrom

Re: Battery charge port cover (door) latch INOP and charging socket locking INOP

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Negative DCFC on both vehicles

NurStrom

Re: Battery charge port cover (door) latch INOP and charging socket locking INOP

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:02 pm

If another non DCFC owner could verify what I think might be by design that would be helpful. Perhaps there are no locking pins in the socket.

cctop

Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 am

I can confirm that the 2016 SE without DCFC doesn't have a locking pin, so the handle does not lock while charging.

I never had a problem with sparking when removing the handle during L1 or L2 charging. I think the locking pin is just a safety feature when using DCFC.

And honestly I'd like to disable it on my 2019 SE. I regularly have to plug in the handle 2 or 3 times before the locking pin engages properly. When it engages on the first try it feels like winning the lottery, or having every stoplight timed perfectly on the commute home.
2019 eGolf SE w/DAP Indium Gray Metallic
2016 eGolf SE Limestone Gray (Lease returned)

f1geek

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am

Good to hear. That means VW properly implemented the J1772 protocol on cars without DCFC. Based on comments in this forum, the protocol is not correctly implemented on cars with a CCS port. I doubt there is an easy way to disable locking and since the protocol requires locking to prevent sparking, I don't think it is a good idea to stop the lock from working.

Did you try lubricating the locking pin?
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

cctop

Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Yup, I've tried lubricating the locking pin with silicone spray and using compressed air to clean out the pin, per other threads here with the problem.

What happens is that the 1st or 2nd time I plug it in, I hear quiet clicks from the charging port then the light turns steady yellow indicating that no current is flowing. After two or three attempts, I'll hear a loud click from the engine compartment, then the locking pin will engage and the car will start to charge.

This behavior has been consistent across a variety of L1 and L2 chargers for the two years I've owned my 2019 SE.

I'll take it in to the dealer to get checked out before the warranty period runs out next year. I've just been waiting until I've had to take it in for a regular service.
2019 eGolf SE w/DAP Indium Gray Metallic
2016 eGolf SE Limestone Gray (Lease returned)

Return to “Technical Discussions”