Can't get e-Golf trip data in CarNet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings fellow e-Golf enthusiasts.

I have owned my Pacific Blue e-Golf for less than two weeks now, and can't figure out what I need to do on my end to get the trip data to record and display. It's not showing in the car, on the CarNet web portal, or in the iPhone app. All I get between the X and Y axes is "No data available."

I've seen YouTube videos and other stuff online showing what this feature does, and as a data geek, I really want to see this information for my driving.

I called the CarNet support two nights ago, but the pleasant person on the other end wasn't a tech, and he said the tech support department closed 20 minutes before I called. He said he'd put in a ticket for me, and I should expect a response in 48 hours or less.

Well, I received a "Welcome to CanNet" email the next day, but nothing else. I thought that was odd because it's pretty clear to myself and the CarNet phone rep that I have a CarNet account already. I need to call them back, but wanted to post this question here in case (a) another forum member can point me in the right direction, or (b) I get a resolution from CarNet and can reply to myself in case another new e-Golf owner has the same difficulties in the future.

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue, but worse. I couldn't set any profiles, couldn't do remote air conditioning, couldn't set charging schedules, no trip data, nothing. Battery status was accurate, but it always listed as "2 hours remaining" for charge duration, even if I was near topped-off. All I could do was see battery status, flash the lights, and unlock the doors.

I hit the "i" button in the car over lunch one day and the front line folks transferred me to tech support. Tech support logged in as me and was able to reproduce the problem I saw and called it "weird". They promised to call me back, but never did, however they did fix it. The next day I started getting trip data, and was able to set profiles and charging schedules, and turn on the A/C remotely. It's as if my initial setup by the dealer went wrong.

Car-net in general has been a disappointment, especially on charging schedules. So far it's 0/3 on charging going as planned. Twice, even though I set the departure time at 7am, charging didn't START until 7am, and this morning, an absolute failure to charge. The saving grace this morning is that initial plug-in last night, it charged to the minimum level I set as it should. However, overnight, it never woke up to finish the charging.

Thanks unbeliever- a call to the CarNet folks is what it took for me too.

The tech on the phone said they needed to push a software update down to the car, although they couldn't tell me which version that was being pushed down.

I purchased my e-Golf about a week and a half ago. Car-Net was closed when I got the car so I created an account and activated it the next business day. Since then, vehicle status from the app is delayed or nonexistent. Battery status shows but is often delayed by hours. When I'm plugged in and charging, the app doesn't show it, and trying to refresh, I get an error message. I've been charging at work for over 2 hours, yet the app still says, "Charging plug not connected" and the last refresh was 12 hours ago. Trying to refresh does nothing. I have also yet been able to see driving data in the app- a refresh does nothing and the app just says "No data available."

I pressed the "i" button this morning and spoke to a car-net rep who took note of my issues but then transferred me to a VW rep. She verified my personal info and then put me on hold and came back to tell me that there were no recalls on my new vehicle. That's not what I called for, but I wanted record of me calling and reporting the issue. She said she would take notes and send them to my dealership.

I have a service appointment scheduled for later this afternoon (for another unrelated issue) and will address the car-net issue, as well.

Hetz8500,

Can you post your results from the service appt? It looks like the other folks who got issues resolved by calling in had success in early April. I tried the same route (calling Carnet) but all I got was acknowledgment that it's broken and a promise for $200. Other people on the forum have reported $400, so maybe you can get some cash.

IndigoZ said:
Hetz8500,

Can you post your results from the service appt? It looks like the other folks who got issues resolved by calling in had success in early April. I tried the same route (calling Carnet) but all I got was acknowledgment that it's broken and a promise for $200. Other people on the forum have reported $400, so maybe you can get some cash.

Will do. Do you have a paid car-net subscription or just the free account with the e-Golf features?

Hetz8500 said:
Battery status shows but is often delayed by hours. When I'm plugged in and charging, the app doesn't show it, and trying to refresh, I get an error message. I've been charging at work for over 2 hours, yet the app still says, "Charging plug not connected" and the last refresh was 12 hours ago. Trying to refresh does nothing.
I have a trick to get the charging status to update in the iPhone App:
First, go to the Remote page and select Doors & Lights. This will force communication with the car. It will sit there "Loading Data" until it gets the reply from the car.
Next, go back to the home screen and go to the e-manager page and touch the update button in the upper right hand corner. This will load the updated Charging Status from the server that was sent with the Doors & Lights data set.

I hope this works for you too. It's so lame that these tricks are needed.

I was having this same problem via CarNET, essentially the trip and performance data and battery status wouldn't load- I also could not remotely stop charging. I found a post somewhere here where it was recommended to disconnect the 12V battery, the post warned that some weird things would go on with dash lights but after a few hundred feet of driving all would be well, I was nervous to try it but had relinquished all hope and was ready to do it this evening.

However, I was ready to do so but found a fellow eGolf owner at a stop light. We talked a bit about the experience and he recommended -THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART- To make the discussed features work, contact CarNET via the "i", tell them you have the described problem and ask them to transfer you to CarNET technical support so they can push an update to your car via air. Absolutely true, an hour later...voila...all works!

Important note - the first CarNET reps do not know much about technical problems so you may hear crickets on the other end as they'll be stumped...have them connect you with CarNET technical support...they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Back