Recommend a level 1 charger to replace defective Delphi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli1171

Hey all,
Proud new owner of a 2015 E Golf here. Seems Carvana sent it to me with a defective Delphi level 1 charger, and I'm looking to replace it asap. Can anyone recommend a brand that works with the eGolf and has been good to you/cost effective?

Thanks!

Get UL or Intertek listed for peace of mind. Also, Carvana owes you a working L1.

Maybe get a Clipper Creek L1 or used OEM unit from a Leaf, Volt, Bolt, etc.?

Yeah, I agree they owe me one. Getting them to give me one without wasting my time taking a completely functioning car to a repair place that they designate and then waiting days to receive one? NOPE. I need the charger now, so I'm sucking this one up.

Thanks for the tips on the brands to get!

Suggest that you consider a L1/L2 EVSE unit such as: MEGEAR Level 1-2 EV Charger(100-240V,16A). It is available from Amazon @$199. With this unit you would benefit from a higher charging rate if you connect to a 240V outlet. I have a Siemens L2 unit; thus, no experience with the Megear unit. You can read the reviews on Amazon, however.

I wouldn't purchase one of those non-safety certified units if you care about your property. You will pay more for a UL or Intertek unit, but that is cheap insurance to prevent a home fire or to damage your e-Golf.

The recommended MEGEAR unit says "16 amps at 120V" and shows a NEMA 5-15 plug. This is a BIG red flag - you should never pull more than 80% of a circuit's rated amperage, so 12 amps is the maximum safe value for a 15 amp circuit. If this thing pulls 16 amps, the breaker will trip every time to try to use it. If it were safe, it would have a NEMA 5-20 plug because it is safe to pull 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit.

I have no financial interest in any EVSE company or safety certification, but I would hate to see an e-Golf or your house destroyed by fire.

I recommended as used OEM unit because many offer dual voltage capability, and they are all safety certified for EVs sold in the USA, and because typically new ones (like a new LEAF dual voltage EVSE) are extremely expensive.

As a follow-up to f1geeks comments, the EVSE unit I suggested would require a 120V 20A outlet service. This would need AWG 12 wiring with a 20A protection device (CB/fuse).

The whole point of the NEMA plug system is to ensure people can’t do things that are unsafe. MEGEAR and all the other crap EVSE brands can’t bother to spend another 20 cents to install the correct plug. You can only imagine what other corners were cut making this piece of junk. Caveat emptor!

Back