Recent regressions in Car-Net functionality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voidstar

In the past few weeks, I've noticed a couple annoying regressions in Car-Net functionality (in both web app and iOS app) and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing these too:

• Inaccurate/out-of-date battery charging state — even after hitting "refresh" to get an updated status. I have delayed charging set up, even though it doesn't actually work as it should (I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40P). I set delayed charging so I can plug in the car but prevent it from charging. At 11pm, I start charging from the iOS app. But lately, this has been completely unreliable because the charging state is inaccurate in Car-Net. Several times, I've gone down to the garage (several flights of stairs) thinking that the car was not charging, only to find when I arrived that the car actually was charging.
  • Charging stops in the middle of the night. I don't know why this happens. I start charging at night, but somehow the car is only partially charged in the morning. One morning, it had only charged to 25 miles. This morning, it was 47 miles. So it's not stopping at a consistent level. This issue is far worse than the first, because I don't have the range I expect to have in the morning.

Has anyone else seen these problems?

Car-Net was flaky and unreliable before these things stopped working. Now it's even less reliable, which I didn't think would happen. The mechanical awesomeness of the car makes the awfulness of the software even more aggravating, because the car would pretty much be perfect to me if Car-Net didn't suck so hard.

Yes, I have observed some of this too. I was helping someone on the Facebook group to get his delayed charging working and I discovered that I could no longer get the e-Manager page in the app to refresh new data from the car. I had to revert back to the Doors & Lights page to refresh to actually get new data from the car. Before they changed the graphics in the app, it used to work properly - well, at least more properly.

Honestly, since I got the delayed charging set up the way I wanted, I only look at the app for kicks to see how efficiently my wife has been driving. If I hadn't been poking around in the app trying to help someone, I would not have noticed.

Yes, I can confirm that I can no longer rely on Car-net to show me the charging status like you said. The app lets me start or stop charging but the app shows a communication failure and refreshing does not show the charging status.

voidstar said:
Inaccurate/out-of-date battery charging state — even after hitting "refresh" to get an updated status. I have delayed charging set up, even though it doesn't actually work as it should (I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40P). I set delayed charging so I can plug in the car but prevent it from charging. At 11pm, I start charging from the iOS app. But lately, this has been completely unreliable because the charging state is inaccurate in Car-Net. Several times, I've gone down to the garage (several flights of stairs) thinking that the car was not charging, only to find when I arrived that the car actually was charging.

I can also confirm this statement (other than a wind noise annoyance from the passenger window and from the non-acoustic windshield):

voidstar said:
Car-Net was flaky and unreliable before these things stopped working. Now it's even less reliable, which I didn't think would happen. The mechanical awesomeness of the car makes the awfulness of the software even more aggravating, because the car would pretty much be perfect to me if Car-Net didn't suck so hard.

I'm having the same issue. For me, I plug the car in and am told a false time remaining until charged. Refreshing does nothing. When i try to update the car settings i get an error message that the car is not reachable.

The shop foreman at the dealer has been great. Vw appears to be working diligently to resolve it. But this is frustrating.

miimura said:
I had to revert back to the Doors & Lights page to refresh to actually get new data from the car.
FWIW, this (silly) incantation also works for me to get an updated charging status. Time remaining is still inaccurate, but at least charging status and battery level are updated. Beggars—or captive customers—can't be choosers, amirite?

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but this evening I'm noticing that charging status is updating properly, starting charging from iOS and web is faster and actually succeeds on the first try, and Car-Net service responses to the iOS and web apps are faster. Fingers crossed that this is real.

Back