Rear tire wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarEV

The inside part of the tread of each of my rear tires on my 2019 has worn significantly faster than the rest of the tires (stock Ecopias, about 20k total, 15k on rear). I haven’t been diligent about tire rotation, but this still seems abnormal. Is it a known issue? Any recommendations (in addition to rotating every 4000-5000 miles)?

I have 50,000 miles on my OEM Ecopias and I have rotated them once a year or about every 10,000 miles, and they have worn evenly.

Maybe your car needs an alignment.

Improper inflation pressures may have contributed. If the tires are under inflated, they are flatter and put a greater load on the sides of the tread.

When I've had tire service at the dealer or a tire shop, they typically underinflate the tires, probably to the levels of an ICE Golf. I always need to top the pressures off at 41 psi, after anyone else deals with the tires on my e-Golf.

Thanks @f1geek and @Jeff4. I always keep my tires inflated correctly, and from what I can glean online it isn't common (possible?) to adjust the camber alignment on rear wheels of the e-golf. Some others have reported the same issue in other forums, but it doesn't seem like a widespread issue. I will probably just rotate more often in the future to spread out the excessive wear evenly between the four tires.

Come to think of it, at my 10,000 mile service at the dealership, they told me that the front wheels needed alignment. I didn't pay attention to the details and grumbled a bit about it, but perhaps this is consistent with your experience, except my issue was corrected before tires experienced excessive wear. :roll:

Back