Replacing the 12 volt battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uscpsycho said:
The egolf doesn't have a standard size battery? I would think you can buy batteries with different capacities but that they all have to be the same physical size in order to fit in the battery space?

Are they always 59 Ah EFB? What about CCA? Does that have to match the former battery as well?

CCA (cold-cranking amps) is probably irrelevant since it's just closing a relay and not cranking an engine.

f1geek said:
Sure. I’ll wait for someone to purchase an LFP 12 V battery for me. 😁

I wouldn't put a LiFePo battery in the place of any lead-acid battery. LFP batteries are full at 12.8vdc while lead-acid is full at 12.6vdc. As sensitive as VW electronics seem to be, I wouldn't risk it. Also, the LFP batteries I have require a special AC charger, or setting the solar charge controller with alternate parameters.

What I would be interested to see is whether a much-lighter scooter battery does the trick.

If you're going to replace the battery and dont' want to lift it, you're much better off going to somewhere like autozone than the dealer.

I would probably get one from walmart or costco if i wanted a new one.

.2 volts probably isnt' a big deal.. it probably charges at 13 volts anyway.

Lithium batteries are better for sitting around but they're not worth the expense. Better off buying a lithium jump start box/kit whatever you call it..

if you're going to leave your car sitting for a while, have it hooked to a battery tender to keep the 12volt good.

I do recommend getting a VW based car scanner though. VW is one of these EV's that will disable driving when it sees certain error codes pop up.. and it can save you from being towed.. clearing the codes when just disconnecting the battery wont. Autel seems to have a few models. Make sure it does BMS reset. My 2015 se wasn't driveable until i cleared the code related to the 12v. definitely want to keep that in the car.

Back