Driving Mode no longer working...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cclcal

When i push the Mode button the 3 options come up on the screen but are no longer highlighted. When I touch "information" it's just a blank screen.

Touchscreen is fine, something happened to Mode function. Not happy. Anyway to reset? Ive turned the car on and off more than 5 times. No luck.

I have had the car all of 4 days.

Also how to release the hatch? Dealer said just push the button on remote. All that does is flash my car lights. I understood the trunk is not auto open but mine doesnt even unlatch. I still have the push the VW logo to get it to open.

thanks guys and gals!

JoulesThief mentioned the same thing happening on his car. I don't know if he had to take it to the dealer or if it fixed itself.

Re the hatch, German cars don't have a separate hatch release. If the car is locked but you have the key with you, just operate the VW logo as usual. If the car is unlocked, no key fob is needed.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief mentioned the same thing happening on his car. I don't know if he had to take it to the dealer or if it fixed itself.

Re the hatch, German cars don't have a separate hatch release. If the car is locked but you have the key with you, just operate the VW logo as usual. If the car is unlocked, no key fob is needed.

The glitch reset itself. I have to believe it was on some sort of timer, as it cured itself overnight, and hasn't repeated itself since. This seems to be a common hiccup, I read about it again on facebook also.

At 2600 miles now. Very, very happy so far at 3 months of ownership with my 2015 SEL... hope I continue to have many, many thousands of trouble free traveled miles with my e-Golf. But then, I do tend to baby it.

I found the same issue. It appears to be that the computer gets "confused" on starting the car. To be more precise, upon starting the car the UI has a boot-up routine that takes about 45 seconds for all functions to become available. On occasion, if you try to do too many things during this period, like select modes, plug in your CarPlay phone, futz with the car settings or energy display the system will lock out certain functions.

I did this at one point and when I went to press the window button for the driver's window to open, it turned on the parking sensor function.

Please remember that the environmental and passenger functions of this car are all "by-wire" and a glitch in the software will show up in unpredictable ways.

I called VW about the possibility of a software upgrade and they said there is none at this time.

The short-term fix is to just let the system boot up for a minute before changing anything. After that time it responds normally. As well, powering off the car for 30 seconds with the door open resets the system and will cause another re-initialization where it may resolve any problems until the next time it happens.

Geoff

I think you guys are right.
I started car this morning and everything back to normal.

I did push the mode button as soon as I started the car yesterday, car must have gotten confused.

I also had the parking brake engage when I tried to put car in reverse as soon as I started it. It asked me to release parking brake even though I never engaged it. I heard it engage while both my hands were on steering wheel...

thanks for the insight!

HighTestElectrons said:
Please remember that the environmental and passenger functions of this car are all "by-wire" and a glitch in the software will show up in unpredictable ways.

More specifically, VAG products since the MkIV generation (starting with the '98 Passat) have electrical systems that are all tied to the central computer. It saves on wiring: for example, rather than two sets of wires that feed a dual filament bulb for taillight and brake light functions, this system allows a single set of wires to control a single filament bulb. Brake lights get full voltage, tail lights get reduced voltage. On newer North American spec cars where the turn signals are integrated with the brake lamps, this same computer turns the voltage off then fully on again for the turn signal function.

This sort of computerized control can make for annoying problems that can be difficult or even impossible to solve. Unfortunately it appears VW still hasn't fully gotten a handle on this nearly 20 years later.

RonDawg said:
HighTestElectrons said:

More specifically, VAG products since the MkIV generation (starting with the '98 Passat) have electrical systems that are all tied to the central computer. It saves on wiring: for example, rather than two sets of wires that feed a dual filament bulb for taillight and brake light functions, this system allows a single set of wires to control a single filament bulb. Brake lights get full voltage, tail lights get reduced voltage. On newer North American spec cars where the turn signals are integrated with the brake lamps, this same computer turns the voltage off then fully on again for the turn signal function.

This sort of computerized control can make for annoying problems that can be difficult or even impossible to solve. Unfortunately it appears VW still hasn't fully gotten a handle on this nearly 20 years later.

Are you referring to their CAN-Bus system?

A classic example would be the turn indicator / emergency lights clicker relay going bonkers and running all the time, when the contacts for the turn indicator contacts in the steering column stalk, are worn out and partially arcing. You think it's the blinker /flasher relay module that's gone bad, when it's really the turn indicator switch contacts. A whole new turn indicator is necessary, plus pulling the steering wheel, air bags, and clock mechanism. Pulling a steering wheel that is press fit on a VW is a major PIA, even with the correct extractor tool.

Back