Extra battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmeister

Anyone heard of an extra, range-extending battery for eGolf? Not the crazy
trailers, however--just a battery to load into
hatchback area to add a few miles?

ohmeister said:
Anyone heard of an extra, range-extending battery for eGolf? Not the crazy
trailers, however--just a battery to load into
hatchback area to add a few miles?

Nope.

I know some things like this exist for the Nissan Leaf, but as I understand the state of the art, this isn't a simple plug-n-play modification, it requires some careful work to the wiring of the car. I'm not surprised these don't exist yet in the US for the e-Golf, the car is only in its second model year here and is only available in a few states. There just aren't that many of these cars in the US. A battery add-on like this would need time for design and testing, even if was an individual owner hack and not a commercial product.

If the e-Golf community ends up with some active hacking and tinkering, we may see things like this in the future.

kirby said:
I know some things like this exist for the Nissan Leaf, but as I understand the state of the art, this isn't a simple plug-n-play modification, it requires some careful work to the wiring of the car. I'm not surprised these don't exist yet in the US for the e-Golf, the car is only in its second model year here and is only available in a few states. There just aren't that many of these cars in the US. A battery add-on like this would need time for design and testing, even if was an individual owner hack and not a commercial product.

If the e-Golf community ends up with some active hacking and tinkering, we may see things like this in the future.

I'm in the wait and see category... will VW come up with a 30 or 34-35 kwh traction battery that will occupy the same footprint as the existing battery pack in a few years, as lithium battery design and production make more improvements in power density per pound of battery.

VW is going to have to come up with something huge or big in this department, with the Chevy Bolt and 200 mile range BEV's showing up in 2017 model production. http://longtailpipe.com/2016/01/06/gm-unveils-production-2017-chevy-bolt-at-ces-30k-after-tax-credits-200-mile-range/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheLongTailPipe+%28The+Long+Tail+Pipe%29

There is a 12v outlet in the back. It would be interesting if someone made a large enough battery that can reverse charge through that. Might be useful if you're parked somewhere for a long time. Let's say airport parking or even camping somewhere.

While interesting, these are all relatively useless applications. A battery large enough to matter is going to be too heavy and bulky to load into the cargo space and take up all the useable room even if you could.

Airports have charge stations, at least the ones I've been to.

Camp sites often have some kind of outlet or RV hookup, but if you wanted to go out into a remote area you'd be better off with a generator loaded up on a trailer rather than trickle charging (I'm certain the 12v system doesn't flow in reverse to the traction batteries like that anyway).

Airports have charging stations but if you're gone for a week you probably don't want to occupying that spot for that long.

My guess is that the 12v outlet will only charge the lead acid battery up front. In 3-5 years, if enough e-golfs are sold, there's potentially a retrofit higher capacity battery available but that's really the reason I lease. In 3 years, there will be much better electric cars available. The technology is progressing rapidly and price points falling.

FlyPenFly said:
Airports have charging stations but if you're gone for a week you probably don't want to occupying that spot for that long.

My guess is that the 12v outlet will only charge the lead acid battery up front. In 3-5 years, if enough e-golfs are sold, there's potentially a retrofit higher capacity battery available but that's really the reason I lease. In 3 years, there will be much better electric cars available. The technology is progressing rapidly and price points falling.

I am in to my 2015 SEL e-golf for $15300, before taxes. I doubt I will ever be in to another electric car for that price, the incentives are going to be vaporware soon enough that the govt won't be subsidizing any more BEV purchases. From a value POV, I think that will forever be untouchable again in my lifetime. That, plus I'll probably always own a TDI for those longer mileage trips. yes, my VW TDI is that good and worth holding on to, because I baby mine, and don't abuse them, in the name of "fun" or "sport".

Late December, I was at LAX parking lot and some of the folks had pulled the cable from the EV charging section to the regular, longer term parking section, such that you could unplug them and charge in the "EV parking only" for a few hours section with the plug from the regular parking area car, once it was topped off.

FlyPenFly said:
My guess is that the 12v outlet will only charge the lead acid battery up front.
I can't see this ever working.

You cannot charge a higher voltage battery (the traction battery) from a lower voltage source (the 12V plug) unless VW has a circuit to step up the 12V to over 300-400V. Also I believe the 12V ports are typically limited to 15A, so 180W. I think you would be adding about 0.6 miles of range per hour of charging.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. Just noticed that Tesla's Power Wall
meets the specs very closely (350v output, 10kW, 220lbs, $3500) to merit
consideration as a hard-wire range extender, if it can put out
enough current--likely so for a device designed to run an entire household!
Theoretically one could look for about 25-30 more miles if
able to install and optimize.

I know this isn't for the e-Golf, but These guys have cracked the Leaf market in Europe. Adding extender packs or even a complete 40kw swap . They have even added a 40kw extender pack into a 40 kw Leaf van making it 80kwh

Check out MUXAN on youtube. they have lots of vids showing the whole business from the early days

Back