Delayed Charging issue FIXED by software update TSB 2040470

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmonkfish said:
Just wanted to report that I have an LCS-25 for my 2016 Golf SE and I'm having the same problem. ... Looks like I'll be calling Clipper Creek to let them know.
Clipper Creek customer support was excellent. Person who answered the phone said VW is aware of the problem, and are developing a fix for it. I asked if the VW software fix would be within 30 days, or 6 months, and his answer was: Much less than 6 months but not sure if it would be within 30 days.

love driving the car, hate charging it.

this delay charging issue needs to be remedied asap.

Im using Juicebox40 not clipper creek.

VW should pay me the difference in $ for all the times I charged at not off-peak times due to terrible software

Cclcal said:
love driving the car, hate charging it.

this delay charging issue needs to be remedied asap.

Im using Juicebox40 not clipper creek.

VW should pay me the difference in $ for all the times I charged at not off-peak times due to terrible software
I got monetary compensation from VW USA when delay charging wasn't working on my car. Of course, mine was actually broken, not just the baseline terrible working "as designed".

miimura said:
Yes, the Departure Time setting works by calculating the time it will take to charge and figuratively setting an alarm to wake up and start charging.
BrianMoffet said:
At the moment, I don't have a timer and I tell the car to start charging when I go to be.
jmonkfish said:
It would be nice if VW simply had a "Start" time. And the start time would be right when Off-peak rates start.

Is it possible to create a small app that automatically logs into Car-Net and clicks "Start Charging" at a specified time? I'm sure VW would be the more appropriate party for creating this, but if all I want is a "start time", I think I need to just do it myself.

jmonkfish said:
Is it possible to create a small app that automatically logs into Car-Net and clicks "Start Charging" at a specified time? I'm sure VW would be the more appropriate party for creating this, but if all I want is a "start time", I think I need to just do it myself.
It is likely possible. People have done it for other EVs. For example, the Toyota Entune App for the RAV4 EV is missing a lot of features and the on-board timer system is not programmed well, so somebody did exactly what you propose. He connected his phone to his home WiFi network and sniffed the packets that the app was sending to the server. He figured out how to format those requests and built his own server and web front end to it. He implemented several new features.

The RAV4 EV also uses departure time based charge timers, but the calculation is way off and starts too early. So, one of the new features he implemented was Charge Start Time based timers. When the time to charge arrives, his server sends a Start Charging message to the Toyota server, which sends the request over the cellular network to the car. Also, the Toyota App only has remote climate that can Start Now. So, he implemented Remote Climate timers too.

Anyway, it may be harder to implement for the e-Golf if the authentication mechanism between the app and the server is more robust.

There is an update!

Clipper Creek mailed me back with an update that said that CC and VW have worked out something to deal with the 2015 model and delayed charging. VW Germany Engineering says:

Please advise your customers to visit their local Volkswagen dealer, they are aware of the problem under the following description.

“Vehicle does not charge using delay charge/departure. Clipper Creek chargers.“

They also said VW Customer care knows about it, too.

Still no joy for me.

When I went in for the HV Battery safety recall, I asked for them to apply the new Clipper Creek related TSB. They just heard "delayed charging" and not "New TSB, not 2040470" and reapplied 2040470. Of course, no joy for me over the weekend attempting a delayed charge.

Front line VW Customer Care couldn't find any TSB that was Clipper Creek related, so I opened a case with them today.

Clipper Creek has told me that a few of you have gotten the new TSB applied, but nobody (including a local VW dealer) has forwarded to them what the new TSB # is.

If that's true, can you successful folks forward the new TSB number to me and to Clipper Creek? Thanks!

Just a heads up, I believe this issue may be 2015 only related. I just got a HCS-40P and it has been working fine with delayed charging on my 2016 SE out of the box for the last few nights.
Fingers crossed.

When I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago I asked them about a clipper creek fix but they couldn't find anything.

I first set up delayed charging in the infotainment center. Off peak 12-5 am and departure time 8:00 am. I have changed it via carnet as well and both seem to take. The car automatically starts charging at midnight and finishes around 4 am since I usually only charge about 60 miles worth.

Back