Departure time is ignored and starts charging immediately

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vwsickness said:
Short of trying the disconnect the 12V battery trick, I have tried all variations of setting and resetting charging locations as well as minimum battery settings and come up with two way to get the delayed charging to work.

1. Turn off off-peak feature in the charging locations profile. This will charge based on the departure time. I set mine for 5:00am as I don't leave until 6:30am. so far every morning the car is charged and ready to go.

2. You can set the off-peak time to start at 12:00am. I know most people's off peak starts at 11:00pm but by making it 12:00am.....it will once again behave as it did back in 2015...albeit an hour later.

Good Luck

car has been charged when i check it in the morning.
I did #1, turned off off-peak feature and just use departure time.

unnecessarily complicated.

I tried the suggestion above.

Turn off 'peak / off peak' and left the departure at 7am.

Plugged in, was in scheduled mode....after a few , the doors locked at it went to immediate.

I wonder if there is some link between doors locking and immediate charging. I noticed that the moment I lock the doors the immediate charging goes into play.

Just want to say it's confirmed.

when I plug my car in at night, it goes into schedule mode (The lower light is lit)
The Moment I lock the car (Either auto lock , door lock, or remote lock) the scheduled light goes off and it goes into immediate charge.

Funny thing, I logged into Car-Net to turn off my charging (With the intent to turn it on at 10pm). some time later between 15mins and 1 hour it starts charging again without me doing anything.

/sigh. Owells time for a visit to the dealer to fix.

...the only way I got this to work is to use the "One-Time" use one and set it everyday.

Other than that, mine starts charging immediately too...same as the others in every way with all work around attempts. Next best choice is to leave it off and rely on your Level 2 Charger to do the timer if yours is capable.

But in the "One-Time" use mode and setting the departure times and such, that worked 100% of the time. Just a hassle to do everyday. It should just work as advertised.

How exactly does one disconnect the 12v battery, btw? I assume this is the battery located in the upper right of the electric motor compartment, with the negative terminal closest to the windshield. I loosened the connector bolt on that terminal, but the connector didn't simply come off easily. Do I need to pry it off, or am I doing something else wrong?

Evnoob said:
How exactly does one disconnect the 12v battery, btw? I assume this is the battery located in the upper right of the electric motor compartment, with the negative terminal closest to the windshield. I loosened the connector bolt on that terminal, but the connector didn't simply come off easily. Do I need to pry it off, or am I doing something else wrong?

If this is too complex for you, perhaps you should take it in to your dealership to resolve. Seriously. I've not seen the 2016's needing the battery disconnected yet to clear things up, it was a 2015 SEL reset feature that cleared up some Car-net problems, which the 2016, not having Car-net, doesn't have.

I can only assume that what you mean by
not having Car-net
is that Car-net is not necessary to setup charging schedules now that this can be done from the infotainment unit in the car, since I absolutely do still have Car-net access to the car and many features of it work fine, but many don't. In particular, none of the scheduling or profile features work, nor can I start/stop the car charging remote. While these are not absolutely necessary, it'd be nice to have them working like they are supposed to, which strikes me as a very low expectation for a new car.

If the 12v disconnect hack is very unlikely to fix this then I agree that it's not worth me figuring out how to do it.

Evnoob said:
I can only assume that what you mean by
not having Car-net
is that Car-net is not necessary to setup charging schedules now that this can be done from the infotainment unit in the car, since I absolutely do still have Car-net access to the car and many features of it work fine, but many don't. In particular, none of the scheduling or profile features work, nor can I start/stop the car charging remote. While these are not absolutely necessary, it'd be nice to have them working like they are supposed to, which strikes me as a very low expectation for a new car.

If the 12v disconnect hack is very unlikely to fix this then I agree that it's not worth me figuring out how to do it.

Let's defer to someone with a 2016 SEL to perhaps answer your questions. I'm a bit more familiar with the 2015 SEL's. You can try the reset, loosen up the bolt 2 or 3 revolutions on the negative connection, stick a flat blade screw driver between the bolt and nut, into the slot, and twist slightly to open up the gap a bit. Lift the terminal off the battery post. Wait 10 seconds. Reinstall and tighten down. Plan on a bunch of christmas tree lights in your dash when you turn it back on. Take a short drive, see if all the lights are now clear.

Reattempt to delay charge with a departure time being set only.

Some EVSE's are not conducive to departure timed recharges... Clipper Creek comes to mind as one that does NOT work.

sirshan said:
...the only way I got this to work is to use the "One-Time" use one and set it everyday.

Other than that, mine starts charging immediately too...same as the others in every way with all work around attempts. Next best choice is to leave it off and rely on your Level 2 Charger to do the timer if yours is capable.

But in the "One-Time" use mode and setting the departure times and such, that worked 100% of the time. Just a hassle to do everyday. It should just work as advertised.

I've tried every other suggestion on getting delayed charging to work (save 12V disconnect) with no luck; tried the one-time w departure set at 7 am and it also started charging immediately. I then turned charging off via the app - charging stopped, app said ready to charge, and the indicator lights on the charger port went out. Checked later and charging had initiated at my off peak time of 11 pm start, but not sure if it was coincidence. Given the various difference results of everyone here I'm hesitant to try the 12V disconnect in case I really screw things up. We all need a fix to this stupid problem.

synergy said:
sirshan said:

I've tried every other suggestion on getting delayed charging to work (save 12V disconnect) with no luck; tried the one-time w departure set at 7 am and it also started charging immediately. I then turned charging off via the app - charging stopped, app said ready to charge, and the indicator lights on the charger port went out. Checked later and charging had initiated at my off peak time of 11 pm start, but not sure if it was coincidence. Given the various difference results of everyone here I'm hesitant to try the 12V disconnect in case I really screw things up. We all need a fix to this stupid problem.
Did you notice your doors locking like I did? If unlocked, it stays on schedule. The moment the doors lock (Which it does on mine 5 min after plugging in I think) it goes to immediate.

forbin404 said:
synergy said:
sirshan said:

Did you notice your doors locking like I did? If unlocked, it stays on schedule. The moment the doors lock (Which it does on mine 5 min after plugging in I think) it goes to immediate.

I disabled auto lock in settings and I think the doors remain unlocked, but I will recheck all tonight to see if this approach works for me.

I've tried every other suggestion on getting delayed charging to work (save 12V disconnect) with no luck; tried the one-time w departure set at 7 am and it also started charging immediately. I then turned charging off via the app - charging stopped, app said ready to charge, and the indicator lights on the charger port went out. Checked later and charging had initiated at my off peak time of 11 pm start, but not sure if it was coincidence. Given the various difference results of everyone here I'm hesitant to try the 12V disconnect in case I really screw things up. We all need a fix to this stupid problem.[/quote]
Did you notice your doors locking like I did? If unlocked, it stays on schedule. The moment the doors lock (Which it does on mine 5 min after plugging in I think) it goes to immediate.[/quote]

I disabled auto lock in settings and I think the doors remain unlocked, but I will recheck all tonight to see if this approach works for me.[/quote]

Kind of works:

Set departure time (one time) for 7 am & made active and synced via carnet app (need an ~3 hr level 1 charge to go from 98 mi to 114 mi full)
Off peak time 11 pm set for charging location.
Doors are unlocked.
Plugged in at 9 pm, started charging immediately, pressed ‘stop charging’ on carnet app.
Lights went to short green flash and yellow timer on plug indicators and went out several seconds later.
At 10 pm still ok - not charging
Started charging at 11 pm - much earlier than needed to get to full charge by 7 am, but at least it started at off peak time.
YMMV

synergy said:
Did you notice your doors locking like I did? If unlocked, it stays on schedule. The moment the doors lock (Which it does on mine 5 min after plugging in I think) it goes to immediate.[/quote]

I disabled auto lock in settings and I think the doors remain unlocked, but I will recheck all tonight to see if this approach works for me.[/quote]

Kind of works:

Set departure time (one time) for 7 am & made active and synced via carnet app (need an ~3 hr level 1 charge to go from 98 mi to 114 mi full)
Off peak time 11 pm set for charging location.
Doors are unlocked.
Plugged in at 9 pm, started charging immediately, pressed ‘stop charging’ on carnet app.
Lights went to short green flash and yellow timer on plug indicators and went out several seconds later.
At 10 pm still ok - not charging
Started charging at 11 pm - much earlier than needed to get to full charge by 7 am, but at least it started at off peak time.
YMMV[/quote]

Think about this for a minute... you either get to select the time it starts charging, ie "off peak time" or the time it ceases to charge "time of departure" that you want charging completed by. You don't get to choose both.

So take your pick, one or the other. Off peak time, or time of departure... the software programs start time backwards for time of departure, and if you set it to "off peak" time, the time of departu.re doesn't matter.

Once you've selected what you want, go plug in the J-1772 handle of your EVSE, and at the charge port, push the lower button that shows a clock ICON on it. That's for time selection charging, either starting time or "off peak" or ending time, "time of departure". The green charging light should turn off.

Of course, if you opportunity charge, plug the J-1772 handle in, and press the upper button on the charge port, which will then activate immediate charging and the green light should come on immediately.

JoulesThief said:
Think about this for a minute... you either get to select the time it starts charging, ie "off peak time" or the time it ceases to charge "time of departure" that you want charging completed by. You don't get to choose both.

So take your pick, one or the other. Off peak time, or time of departure... the software programs start time backwards for time of departure, and if you set it to "off peak" time, the time of departu.re doesn't matter.

Once you've selected what you want, go plug in the J-1772 handle of your EVSE, and at the charge port, push the lower button that shows a clock ICON on it. That's for time selection charging, either starting time or "off peak" or ending time, "time of departure". The green charging light should turn off.

Of course, if you opportunity charge, plug the J-1772 handle in, and press the upper button on the charge port, which will then activate immediate charging and the green light should come on immediately.

That's the way it should work, but for me (and others) it would always start charging immediately regardless of departure time or off-peak setting, with regular daily schedule setting on. Only with one-time setting, and then turning off the charging after plugging in (with delay clock indicator lit) would it settle in to actually delay charge.

synergy said:
JoulesThief said:

That's the way it should work, but for me (and others) it would always start charging immediately regardless of departure time or off-peak setting, with regular daily schedule setting on. Only with one-time setting, and then turning off the charging after plugging in (with delay clock indicator lit) would it settle in to actually delay charge.
What is your Min Charge setting on Carnet showing? It's at the bottom of the 'Emanager'

JoulesThief said:
30%. But I am rarely at or below 30% for SOC when I plug the j1772 in.
So I took it into the dealer, they set my min to 10% (It was set at 100% for some reason) and now the car charges at the proper times.

They said no updates were applied.

Odd.

kirby said:
Just to confirm a few things:
- miimura has it right. When you plug in, the car figures out how much power is available from the EVSE, how much charge the battery needs to get to the set "maximum charge level", and how much before "departure time" to start charging.

- My M-F setup has a 6:30a departure time and 11p-7a peak hours set. This appears to work for me for the last several weeks. There have been times when I plugged in at 7pm, needed at least 12-13hrs of charge (I was on a 120V EVSE at the time), but looking at my PG&E usage charging did not start until 11pm that night.

- The other factor is "minimum charge level" setting. When you plug in, if your battery is below that level, charging will start immediately, ignoring the peak rate settings.

- The calculations the car does when you plugin are not perfect. Several of us have seen it start charging from a 120V source too late (consistently about 30-45min in my case) to actually finish by the departure time. I haven't seen this problem with the few days of 240V charging I have done so far.
I would like to thank all of you for your great input on this topic that *should* not even exist. I tried all of these things and couldn't get my delayed charging to work. What finally worked for me: Lowering the "minimum charge level" to 10%. Why the default setting is 100% is beyond me.
For those who don't know:
->Log in->e-manager->Departure Time (lower right corner)->gear icon (top right corner).
DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE :)

My 2019 e-Golf SE has the same problem, only these modes have never worked on my car. I've owned the car for two months.

I'm trying to get the "departure time" and or the "off peak" charging to work. Below is what I have set and the car starts charging as soon as I plug it in even though the timer light is on (inside the charge door). I'm plunging it in well before 11PM.

Departure time box selected and set to 9:00AM for all days of the week. (With or without the box selected I get the same result).
Off peak time selected and set between 11PM and 8AM. (With or without the box selected I get the same result).
Minimum charge level set to 20%.
Maximum charge level set to 90%.
Thank you in advance for your help.

I have followed the manual exactly and this just doesn't work. There seems to be some piece of information missing?? Judging from my purchase experience the dealer won't be any help either

I've gone the route of programming the charger. In my case, I have a Flo. I set the output schedule & rate in kW. I'm a flat rate in VT, however my power bill has our household using most kW in the evenings. So I have the charger at 25% output til Midnight & then the Flo ramps up to 100% output. From a couple of experiments, at 3kW (Eco+ :? ) to 80%, the car is still charged by 4AM (from experience).

Great part about that unit is I have multiple schedules in blocks M-F. Example, I have it at 0% from 8-4 when I am at work. I'm not home? So is my charger...

And at any point I can override the schedule with my phone App.

I've read similar stories with other charge units.

Back