Those 24kwh BMW/Chargepoint CCS chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HighTestElectrons said:
Stretch2727 said:
I used my first CCS DC charger today with the eGolf. The charge rate was 20KW. This is a big improvement over the 7.2KW charger and allowed me to do 180 miles today in 30 degree weather.

Does anyone know what the max charge rate is with the CCS charger? Was the car limiting it to 20KW?

I checked the manual and cannot find anything that specifies the max rate the car will accept.

The dealer mentioned 42kW is the max it will pull from a CCS line. The rate of charge is dependent on the state of depletion when the charger is connected and will reduce over time to what is appropriate for that state of charge, tapering as charge approaches 100%.

The 50kW EVGo combination CHAdeMO/CCS charger near me is rated at 385V and 130A. Unsure if CCS runs at full power.

Geoff
Actually, currently available CCS and CHAdeMO connectors are only rated to 125 Amps. Also, most DCFC units are rated to output up to 500VDC. However, the e-Golf will only pull max current up to 80% SOC which is about 355VDC. The e-Golf goes into constant voltage charge taper at 360VDC. If a charging station can really push 125 Amps it will be running at up to 44kW. The ABB charger I tested with only pushed about 109-110 Amps, so it didn't even reach 40kW.

I did not try to monitor volts/amps at the 50kW Veefil station, but my e-Golf was initially pulled 41 kW (for first 10 minutes) then 42 kW for at the 15 minute timepoint then it tapered down to 39 kW for the final reading. I got a total of 14kWh in 22 minutes, which equates to an average 38.2 kW over the duration of the session. Assuming 360 Volts, the maximum rate yields a current of 116.7 amps.

miimura said:
Actually, currently available CCS and CHAdeMO connectors are only rated to 125 Amps. Also, most DCFC units are rated to output up to 500VDC. However, the e-Golf will only pull max current up to 80% SOC which is about 355VDC. The e-Golf goes into constant voltage charge taper at 360VDC. If a charging station can really push 125 Amps it will be running at up to 44kW. The ABB charger I tested with only pushed about 109-110 Amps, so it didn't even reach 40kW.

CCS spec - Type 1 is rated up to 600V at 200A.

Source: http://insideevs.com/what-are-the-power-limits-of-available-dc-quick-charging-standards/

HighTestElectrons said:
miimura said:

CCS spec - Type 1 is rated up to 600V at 200A.

Source: http://insideevs.com/what-are-the-power-limits-of-available-dc-quick-charging-standards/
That article is a year old and still nobody has deployed connectors with that spec. Everybody is still using the 125A version. The 600V spec on the connector is meaningless unless and until somebody makes a charger that can output more than 500VDC. Also, there are no passenger EVs with more than 425VDC packs, which is what really limits the charging rate. There are some buses that use CCS connectors and they could be using more than 125A and/or more than 500VDC, but those are not public charging stations.

Deployment of EVs and charging stations that exceed 125A is definitely coming. We know major DCFC manufacturers already have prototypes of these in testing.

I was just over at the EVGo charger and reminded myself to look at the signage again.

Miimura is correct: CCS at 500VDC / 125A and CHAdeMO at 500VDC / 120A.

Sorry for the confusion.

Geoff

Back