New owner - 2 things I'm trying to solve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWx2

Hi all-

I've found lots of good info in these forums - thanks to all of you who take the time to contribute! I'm a new e-Golf owner (2016 SE). So far, so good. Very happy. But I have two things that I haven't figured out yet.

First, every time I turn the car on, it sets the A/C to 72. I want to avoid running the A/C most of the time. I prefer to turn it on manually, when required. I looked around and it seems like the only way to do this is by using the most economical driving mode which means that the top speed is limited to 60mph. I prefer not to go that route but if that is my only choice, I'll consider it. Is there another way?

The second thing that I'm trying to solve is charging times. I want the car to start charging at 10pm, without regard for my departure time or my charging level. That's when my super low electricity rates kick in. Currently, I plug the car in and use the app to stop charging. Then I use the app to start the charging again at 10pm. I tried departure times but it didn't help. Any ideas? The only thing I care about for charging is starting at 10pm, even if the car does not fully charge during the night.

Thanks!

Brian

VWx2 said:
Good info on the automatic A/C 72 issue - thanks JoulesThief!

Note what you need to say to the service writer, very carefully. Get it right, the first time.

VWx2 said:
First, every time I turn the car on, it sets the A/C to 72. I want to avoid running the A/C most of the time. I prefer to turn it on manually, when required. I looked around and it seems like the only way to do this is by using the most economical driving mode which means that the top speed is limited to 60mph. I prefer not to go that route but if that is my only choice, I'll consider it. Is there another way?

The second thing that I'm trying to solve is charging times. I want the car to start charging at 10pm, without regard for my departure time or my charging level. That's when my super low electricity rates kick in. Currently, I plug the car in and use the app to stop charging. Then I use the app to start the charging again at 10pm. I tried departure times but it didn't help. Any ideas? The only thing I care about for charging is starting at 10pm, even if the car does not fully charge during the night.

Thanks!

Brian
For #1, it isn't setting the A/C at 72, it's setting the Heater at 72. Slight difference. Unless the A/C light is lit on the bottom right, the A/C isn't running.

For #2, the only way is getting a Charger that supports timed charging (And The EGolf Supports it). I believe the Chargepoint charger is the only one that can do that. I'll post the link when I find it.

Thanks Forbin404 for that info - good to know. I may end up just manually doing the charging through the app. I use the standard 110v outlet and cable. I've considered a charger but I don't have a requirement for one. I can charge up partially a couple of days a week with my current driving so it is hard to sell myself on a big chunk of money to get the scheduled charging. Looks like that ChargePoint charger with cables (and an electrician) is going to run me about $1250. Probably not worth it since I won't actually recoup any of that cost in the future!

But I am going to look into solving the 72 degrees issue at the dealer!

Thanks!

Brian

VWx2 said:
Thanks Forbin404 for that info - good to know. I may end up just manually doing the charging through the app. I use the standard 110v outlet and cable. I've considered a charger but I don't have a requirement for one. I can charge up partially a couple of days a week with my current driving so it is hard to sell myself on a big chunk of money to get the scheduled charging. Looks like that ChargePoint charger with cables (and an electrician) is going to run me about $1250. Probably not worth it since I won't actually recoup any of that cost in the future!

Thanks!

Brian
On a charger a few things you might not know. The Charger runs about $400 and if you have room in the panel, it's about $300 to install. And about 50% of that is tax deductible.

#1 I solved by taking it to the dealer.

#2 I solved using my clipper creek HCS 40p and setting the off peak time to midnight and departure time to 8 am in the infotainment system on the e-golf. It charges at midnight every day and stops when it's full around 4 am. Set min charge to 10%. Make sure it goes blink blink blink when you plug it in.

If you are using the 110v esve then you might have to set the departure time to later to make it think it doesn't need to start right away.

VWx2 said:

Thanks!

Brian

Hi, your car should be charging when you tell it to, mine was having a lot of problems and eventually they bit the bullet and replaced the AX4 charger module. An ~$1800 part and a new 12V battery. Charges perfectly now no matter what charger I use, I have a Siemens Versicharger at home and have had no problems. I had the electrician put a new 40 amp outlet in the garage when he upgraded my panel for solar, added about $200 to the main panel replacement.

The techTip for the 72° issue is easy and fast to get done, the resetting to 72 after 20 minutes was quite annoying.

Happy Charging!

Back