2015 e-Golf - broken CCS combo port / charging fault??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJCyclist

Anyone else experience a broken CCS combo port? What I mean by broken is I can charge just fine using the normal 1772 port. But any time I plug into a DC fast charge CCS charger it times out and I get error codes. The EVSES are unable to communicate with the car.

Any idea what is wrong? It's weird that I can charge using one port but not the other. No check engine or fault lights come on in the car either.

My car is a 2015 but I just got it new, it was left on the lot so it did sit a long time. I'm wondering if the dealer let the battery get too low and something became damaged? I've used fast chargers before so whatever is broken now only just happened within the last 48 hours.

YES on 3 different stations, 2 different Chargepoint stations and 1 EVGO station. All in very different locations.

That's very helpful, thank you.

I've used it "sparingly" by my definition. I wish VW would have actually provided data or would tell my in the cars systems. Right now there is no data, nothing....

I used DC Fast Saturday morning for 20 min. That was the first time in a week that I had used it.

Before that I used it maybe 3 or 4 other times, sadly I've had to travel long distance for work but that was only that week.

So I drove back to the dealer that I dropped the car off with....ran my VAG COM on it and there are SO many fault codes. This is insane!!

Looks like "Charger module 2" has failed completely, and there are 13 fault codes associated with the AC compressor and electric AC drive motor. Plus some faults in the Brake Booster!?

Here is a link to the .txt file for your own reading:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dFyFUr70_neVlKaVROSDNSdWZZdWxnVVNDcWN4ZFd5UHBB/view?usp=sharing

Probably just needs a reset, clear it, and drive it some more and see if any CEL's come back.

JoulesThief said:
Probably just needs a reset, clear it, and drive it some more and see if any CEL's come back.

Actually no, the charging modeul 2 has completely failed along with most of the A/C system.

I have filed a case with VWoA and have a regional rep contacting me daily. I've also contacted a law firm to pursue Lemon Law if they cannot completely clear all of the faults and fully repair the car.

I'll report back as to how the rest of the process goes and if they can fully repair it or if I have to use the Lemon Law.

SJCyclist said:
JoulesThief said:

Actually no, the charging modeul 2 has completely failed along with most of the A/C system.

I have filed a case with VWoA and have a regional rep contacting me daily. I've also contacted a law firm to pursue Lemon Law if they cannot completely clear all of the faults and fully repair the car.

I'll report back as to how the rest of the process goes and if they can fully repair it or if I have to use the Lemon Law.

VIN ending 6 digits? Early VIN 2015's have a known upgrade, and reflash for the AC problem... do a search for it here in the technical section. or search on Google

JoulesThief said:
SJCyclist said:
JoulesThief said:

VIN ending 6 digits? Early VIN 2015's have a known upgrade, and reflash for the AC problem... do a search for it here in the technical section. or search on Google

Thank you Joules! That is actually very helpful and makes me feel much better to hear. I've been searching based on what you told me and can't seem to locate a thread, maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms. The last 6 of my VIN are 902758 where could I look that up?

SJCyclist said:
Thank you Joules! That is actually very helpful and makes me feel much better to hear. I've been searching based on what you told me and can't seem to locate a thread, maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms. The last 6 of my VIN are 902758 where could I look that up?

You have a very early model 2015, the AC update applies to your car. probably an August or September 2014 build. Go use google. use the correct terms "2015 e-Golf air conditioning" Until you find something.

JoulesThief said:
SJCyclist said:

You have a very early model 2015, the AC update applies to your car. probably an August or September 2014 build. Go use google. use the correct terms "2015 e-Golf air conditioning" Until you find something.

Thanks again.

So I got my car back today from the dealership. A few things to note:

VWoA corporate was amazing throughout the process. They had a regional case manager on the case from day 1 and they called me on time every day to give me updates.

The regional rep (Jennifer) was AWESOME. She noted every concern I had and relayed the info to the service manager each day.

They replaced 2 charging modules on my car and addressed the A/C faults along with the Thermal Management faults through 2 TSBs. VW TechLine was also communicating with them throughout the process.

They test drove the car and took it to the DC Fast charger near the dealership to test, it passed with flying colors. :) My AC runs cooler now and after the TSBs they told me the car will drive differently now. The regen levels are more prominent and overall the acceleration feels better too. I am very happy with how it turned out! :)

Back