Heated windows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWDave

Hello and sorry if this has been posted. Most of my driving the egolf was in the day time, so a hardly notice the heater filaments in the windshield. But I drove it at night a few times and I cannot see a thing. People's headlights look like a giant fireball coming at me. I found it highly distracting and a safety issue. Just wondering if it's just me, but my vision has always been 20 20. Wondering why the filaments were not placed elswhere, like around window or under the dash. I understand it's not gasoline engine and cannot just blow hot air from engine, but feel they could have placed them in a less distracting location. I know some range rovers have this and drivers complaining about it on their forums. Ok, it's off my chest :)

VWDave said:
Hello and sorry if this has been posted. Most of my driving the egolf was in the day time, so a hardly notice the heater filaments in the windshield. But I drove it at night a few times and I cannot see a thing. People's headlights look like a giant fireball coming at me. I found it highly distracting and a safety issue. Just wondering if it's just me, but my vision has always been 20 20. Wondering why the filaments were not placed elswhere, like around window or under the dash. I understand it's not gasoline engine and cannot just blow hot air from engine, but feel they could have placed them in a less distracting location. I know some range rovers have this and drivers complaining about it on their forums. Ok, it's off my chest :)
No idea, today when I was driving my window was covered in dew, the heaters did nothing..haha.

And change your title to Heated Windshield. There's a difference

VWDave said:

I've never had a problem seeing through the windshield, day or night. Is it possible that your windows were slightly foggy? As for the best placement of the lines, I think they have to be there to do their job. I like the idea, but the fact that the side windows still fog up somewhat defeats the purpose.

The first morning I had my 2016 SE, there were noticeable ripples in the windshield that I was amazed I hadn't seen on my test drives.

I was ready to take the car back the dealer thinking I got a bad windshield until I realized it was likely from the heating element.

Of course I never saw it in the afternoons, and after a few days of driving I didn't pay attention to it in the mornings any more.

I've never seen such severe artifacts as mentioned in this thread, though.

Back