Tesla HPWC to J1772 adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ws6

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I became the owner of a 2015 Lime Stone Grey e-Golf SEL premium, $18,500 with 12,000 miles on it.
My main place to charge will be at work since I live in an apartment. My work currently has an L2 charger and a Tesla HPWC. Obviously, I can use the L2 charger, the HPWC, however, needs an adapter. Something like this, https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com/ . My question, Tesla HPWCs use 240v 80A, assuming the adapter works perfectly fine, would I be able to take advantage of the extra amperage or would the onboard charger scale back to 30 amps like a standard L2 charger.

Any thoughts are welcome.

The charger in your car determines the amperage. The VW e-Golf charger takes 30 amps maximum so you won't gain any charging speed by connecting to the HPWC.

I hope you enjoy your e-Golf and it sounds like you got a good buy.

Thank you for the clarification.
I might end up buying the adapter if the L2 chargers are too congested. I work at a resort, so the chargers are to be shared between employees and guest. I am however the only employee with an EV.

Ws6 said:
Thank you for the clarification.
I might end up buying the adapter if the L2 chargers are too congested. I work at a resort, so the chargers are to be shared between employees and guest. I am however the only employee with an EV.

You'd be better served getting your own designated EVSE at your place of residence, and charging elsewhere besides a resort parking lot, where the charger is for the resort guests. Talk to your apartment manager about providing a NEMA 14-50 outlet for you to provide your own EVSE and plug in to. It's one thing to park and charge at home over night vs at a resort when a customer comes through, away from home and really needing a recharge for their BEV battery only powered car.

Mooching electrons while owning an electric car tends to get old fast, best to provide your own means of recharging. I can see many Tesla owners getting upset with your 30 amp charger pack on board tying up an 80 Amp capable Tesla EVSE station at a resort, as being a poor use of a limited resource.

Ask your employer to also provide a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and you provide your own 30 amp capable 240V EVSE.

Otherwise, perhaps a conventional car would better serve your transportation need, if recharging a BEV is going to be problematic.

Charging at home is the most convenient, but I would not expect an apartment to provide a plug for you unless you could be billed for the electricity. For your charging at work I would suggest that, at a minimum, you leave a note on your car that indicates how to reach you to release the plug from your car or to move your car so they can charge.

Enjoy!

If he gets the adapter, they can probably just unplug him, grab a quick charge, and then plug him back in.

bizzle said:
If he gets the adapter, they can probably just unplug him, grab a quick charge, and then plug him back in.
The J1772 charge handle would remain locked to his car, whether it is the Tesla adapter or the captive cable on the standard charging station. The Tesla adapter could probably be disconnected from the HPWC at any time without his involvement. As you say, they could unplug him and use it as long as the HPWC cable is long enough to reach their car.

I would recommend that he use the J1772 charger whenever available since he would be wasting the extra capacity of the HPWC while connected to it. If a non-Tesla EV came to the resort, they could call him to move or disconnect his car. Of course, he could just move over to the HPWC if it was available at that time and he had the adapter.

I like the idea of leaving my contact info for guest, after all, I work in a service oriented​ environment​ even if I'm​ in the IT department​. In case all of the chargers are occupied, a DC fast charger is available within a two-minute drive. Thank you all for your opinions.

Ws6 said:
I like the idea of leaving my contact info for guest, after all, I work in a service oriented​ environment​ even if I'm​ in the IT department​. In case all of the chargers are occupied, a DC fast charger is available within a two-minute drive. Thank you all for your opinions.

Read your owners manual carefully about fast charging. VW does not recommend use of it more that very infrequently. The terminology was phrased as "sparingly". My definition of sparingly is 5% of the time or less, once every 20 recharges.

The only use of the term "sparingly" in the 2015 manual:

Apply cleaning and conditioning materials sparingly and always with a dry, lint-free cotton or wool cloth. Do not apply cleaning and conditioning materials directly to the leather.

Here is what it says about DC charging:

Frequent and consecutive high-voltage charging (including DC charging) can permanently de- crease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Battery capacity will decrease if you frequently and consecutively charge your vehicle at a DC charging station. Therefore always alternate high-voltage charging (including DC charging) and low-voltage charging. For example, you can charge your vehicle overnight at an AC charging station or use an AC Wallbox if the vehicle was charged at a DC charging station during the day.

"Frequent and consecutive" is the phrasing, and the example used is no more than 50% of the time.

Back