12V outlet - is it always live even when car is off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

presto8

[Sorry for posting this again, I realized I posted it in the wrong place so I deleted it over in the wrong place and posted it here which I think is the correct place. My apologies! I am a new user and still getting used to the system.]

Recently, the 12V outlets in my 2015 eGolf stopped working. I checked the fuse and it was blown. (As a side note, finding the fuse diagram/table was very difficult as it was not included in the owner's manual nor on any sticker that I could find in the car.)

I replaced the fuse and now the outlets are working fine again. But I noticed that they are always live (turned on), even when the car is off. I could have sworn that this was not the same behavior as before, where the 12V outlets would turn off when the car was switched off. The owner's manual says that the outlets switch off when the car is off. It's a little bit of a nuisance, if I happen to leave something plugged in, it will slowly drain the battery.

I was wondering if others can share the behavior of their outlets? I'm wondering if I have some problem in my car now that should be checked out by the dealer.

Thank you!

Yes, there are two positions for the blade fuse. Yours is in the lower position, enabling the 12v outlets (front & hatch) to be powered constantly.

Here is a rough depiction:

| - Switched +12v
| - Ground
| - Constant +12v

Verkehr said:
Yes, there are two positions for the blade fuse. Yours is in the lower position, enabling the 12v outlets (front & hatch) to be powered constantly.

Thank you! I hadn't noticed this subtle difference and put the fuse back in the wrong spot. I moved it a 1/2 spot and now everything is back to normal! I really appreciate your help and useful info. Next time I will take a picture before changing anything so I can be sure to put it back correctly.

Speaking of fuses, what is the deal with VW and the lack of fuse diagrams/maps? How are end users supposed to replace fuses without this information? It's completely ridiculous. The owner's manual makes it worse, claiming that things change so quickly that they can't be expected to document it! Unbelievable. I had to Google the info on the 12V outlet fuse from a gas-powered Mk7 Golf web site and hope that it was close enough.

All three fuse panels are described in great detail in the wiring diagram document available from erWin. The information does change rather quickly, as the document I have from May 2015 has a chart for the inside fuse panel "C" for cars built after March 2014, and then again for cars built after November 2014. I suspect there were running changes along for 2015 and 2016 as well.

Regardless, it is a bit silly that they can't put a basic diagram in the owner's manual. The chassis circuits are basically the same for all MQB models. There's nothing special about the e-Golf in that respect.

HabemusQuattro said:
All three fuse panels are described in great detail in the wiring diagram document available from erWin. The information does change rather quickly, as the document I have from May 2015 has a chart for the inside fuse panel "C" for cars built after March 2014, and then again for cars built after November 2014. I suspect there were running changes along for 2015 and 2016 as well.

Regardless, it is a bit silly that they can't put a basic diagram in the owner's manual. The chassis circuits are basically the same for all MQB models. There's nothing special about the e-Golf in that respect.

I am not sure how to get these documents from "erWin". It seems essential to have the fuse box diagrams and I am surprised that I can't find it anywhere on line. Can someone help?

HabemusQuattro said:
erwin.vw.com

Sorry - I created an account but the website seemed to indicate that to get data I would have to pay $35 for one day access. Did I do something wrong?

fyfchu said:
HabemusQuattro said:
erwin.vw.com

Sorry - I created an account but the website seemed to indicate that to get data I would have to pay $35 for one day access. Did I do something wrong?

No, it costs $35 for the information, have your printer ready, full of ink and paper and start printing. Service manual information is not free.

In case others find it useful, here is a scan I found using Google of the fuse table page from a Mk7 GTI owner's manual. It may not be fully accurate for an e-Golf. But at least it is a start in the right direction.

http://i.imgur.com/LEbB2AF.jpg

Back