Looking to buy e-golf in next few months

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dd123

Hello form Sunny San Diego,
I want to replace my wife's 2013 civic with e-golf.
Per day miles needed are 15 or less
Hence would go for 7.5Kmiles/year or 5K miles/year
I already have ICE car...

Looking for base SE model only
No hurry to buy and can wait few months for the best deal.
Also curious about Leaf

1) How does e-golf compare with Leaf ? Price wise ?
2) heard e-golf still has lots of s/ware glitches when it to charging
3) I can wait few months for the best deal... as not in hurry.
4) any one knows a good dealer local to san diego ?
5) Not really need fast charger...

Thanks

Best deals might be tomorrow. Go to or email every dealership and ask for the best price out the door.

Currently VW only subsides the ES so right now you are golden. Next month who knows. Either you take today's deal or you bet it will go down. Unless you have a crystal ball it is in the air.

I recently bought an SEL. Currently there is no VW support but I had to have drive assist. Some on this forum got a subsidized deal and criticized my deal. It comes down to this. Can you afford the payments? If so, ignore the loud mouths.

I have found over the years that someone out there will criticize every deal. You might have VW paying you to take the car but someone will claim an even better deal.

GlennD said:
Currently VW only subsides the ES so right now you are golden. Next month who knows. Either you take today's deal or you bet it will go down. Unless you have a crystal ball it is in the air.

I recently bought an SEL. Currently there is no VW support but I had to have drive assist. Some on this forum got a subsidized deal and criticized my deal. It comes down to this. Can you afford the payments? If so, ignore the loud mouths.

I have found over the years that someone out there will criticize every deal. You might have VW paying you to take the car but someone will claim an even better deal.

These people didn't BUY an e-Golf, they all leased it, or rented it, for a time period. Buying it implies you are paying to title it and own it, free and clear with possession of the title, or pink slip, not rent or lease it.

I'd call and ask to speak to 6 dealers that handle internet sales, first thing tomorrow morning, that have in stock exactly what you are looking for. Leave your email address with them, tell them you'd like to do the deal today, Sept 30th, month end. Have them email you their best offer. Give them the stock number, give them the miles /year, what you want to pay for down payment (zero), what your payments will be, and what the residual will be, as well as return lease cost. Let them all bid, see who responds by 6 pm with the best offer, print all the offers out that you get, and go do the deal Friday night, the 30th, with the dealership that earned your business. Don't try to get a local dealer to match your best price... give the business to who was the most honest with you, that earned your business.

If need be hold on to all of your offers. Come back 2 weeks before the end of October and do it all over again. You must have patience to get the best deal. Dealerships that are close to quota's will move more aggressively to earn your business, price wise, the closer they are to reaching their quota or exceeding it. You have to find those dealerships to get a great deal. It takes a lot of work. You receive the savings from the work you perform to achieve the best deal.

GlennD said:

It's not so much a criticism of your deal as it is an expression of shock that you paid as much as you did.

RonDawg said:
GlennD said:

It's not so much a criticism of your deal as it is an expression of shock that you paid as much as you did.

My Mercedes is 634 tax included with 6K down. so I am OK with my 1K down payment.

Yes, I realize I missed out on VW supported prices but I got drive assist that was not on the dealers ES cars. It was a must have deal breaker. The sales manager really tried to talk me into an ES.

GlennD said:
RonDawg said:
GlennD said:

My Mercedes is 634 tax included with 6K down. so I am OK with my 1K down payment.

Yes, I realize I missed out on VW supported prices but I got drive assist that was not on the dealers ES cars. It was a must have deal breaker. The sales manager really tried to talk me into an ES.

There seems to be some confusion in your Posts. SE is for Sports Edition, SEL is Sports Edition either Lux, or Limited. I'm not familiar with the "ES" model. Perhaps you are swapping the letter arrangement or dyslexic on occasion?

"SE" and "SEL", at least for VW, have no specific meaning behind them. They're made up marketing terms like "SkyActiv" or "PureDrive" or "Earth Dreams." I've rented a Mazda with "SkyActiv" and trust me the sky has nothing to do with it. Anybody who's driven a Nissan with "PureDrive" on the trunklid knows the proper term should have been "PureCrap" due to the CVT's in those cars. Speaking of which, any environmentalist will tell you that Honda is full of crap if they think the earth dreams of its engines.

In other countries, VW uses different designators for the different trim levels. VW UK uses "S", "Match BlueMotion Edition", "Match Edition", "GT", and "R-Line." Performance Golfs like the GTI and Golf R are a separate model lineup in the UK.

There's nothing "lux" about fake leather.

RonDawg said:
"SE" and "SEL", at least for VW, have no specific meaning behind them. They're made up marketing terms like "SkyActiv" or "PureDrive" or "Earth Dreams." I've rented a Mazda with "SkyActiv" and trust me the sky has nothing to do with it. Anybody who's driven a Nissan with "PureDrive" on the trunklid knows the proper term should have been "PureCrap" due to the CVT's in those cars. Speaking of which, any environmentalist will tell you that Honda is full of crap if they think the earth dreams of its engines.

In other countries, VW uses different designators for the different trim levels. VW UK uses "S", "Match BlueMotion Edition", "Match Edition", "GT", and "R-Line." Performance Golfs like the GTI and Golf R are a separate model lineup in the UK.

There's nothing "lux" about fake leather.

Yet VW has versions of Touaregs, that are Sport, Lux and Executive. Sure seems to be a lot of the same letters designating something in the US market. Passat SEL has leather. Jetta SEL has leatherette, as does the Golf. SEL is top of the line in a VW car model. Nothing states anything about any top of the line being leather, although the Lux Touareg does have leather seats.

There is nothing luxurious about leather. It's a PIA to maintain, it cracks, it dries out, in the Audi lineup, it's so thin that sitting on your wallet will stretch out the leather set covers on A5, A7 and A8 models, in short order. It's cold as the dickens in winter, and hotter that blazes in the summer, and it with absorb the sale from your sweat, causing it to dry out and crack.

Back