Transporting eGolf from SF to LA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billsup

Hi Everyone, I'm soliciting lease bids from several dealers this weekend for a 2016 SE w/DC Fast Charge. I live in So Cal, and most of the vehicles and deals seam to be in the SF/San Jose area (about 380 miles).

On the plugshare site, it shows a map of charging stations between the bay area and LA, with the longest distance about 65 miles between stations.

Question: Am I crazy to thing I can drive it back home, if I lease in the bay area? Should I even consider 8+ quick charges in a day, on a brand new egolf?

Has anyone done this drive in an eGolf?

Has anyone used an auto transport company, or towed on a flatbed trailer?

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Of course, my search may yield the best deal is in So Cal, but planning otherwise, just in case.

I found my used 2015 eGolf SEL online at BMW of Bakersfield. The salesman I worked with said the dealership 'had a guy' that transported cars for them all the time - a retired gentleman and his wife with a flatbed pulled behind his diesel pickup.

I paid $500 to have the car transported to my front door in Scottsdale, AZ from Bakersfield, CA, with none of the hassle of working with some anonymous corporation. The gentleman sent me photos when he left the dealership and kept me updated on his progress throughout the trip. It was a fantastic experience, and I highly recommend it (especially considering your described alternative).

BTW, I LOVE my eGolf and can't wait until the ID or the Buzz come out in ~2022!!!

Thanks Spektre. You wouldn't happen to have the contact info for the transport gentleman?

I'm glad you're enjoying your SEL!

If you shop around you should be able to find smaller operators that can move cars between NorCal and SoCal for $350 to $450. When I bought my RAV4 EV in Oxnard the dealership wanted to dispatch a dedicated flatbed tow for $750. I said no thanks and drove it back by myself. The lower cost operators use regular pickup trucks with 5th wheel trailers that can carry 3 cars. Much more efficient than using an expensive flatbed tow truck to move one car at a time.

There's a thread around here about a guy who did it. SF to LA
Took him 3 days was very very stressful.

You might want to sink in the $450 to bring it down.
Does AAA tow that far?

The dealerships in Northern California, San Diego, and Murrieta were all willing to transport it to me at whatever they claimed their cost was going to be. I think they ranged from $300 to $700. They will even load one up, bring it to your door with the lease/purchase paperwork, and then hand you the keys so you don't even have to leave your living room until they arrive!

We ended up getting ours from Murrieta and spending the night with some family friends in El Cajon while we charge overnight for the final leg home. LeAnne was willing to match the best realistic price (not the one with "this is only pertaining to a single VIN on our lot and other fees *may* apply"--but an actual printed out bottom line quote from Sunnyvale). If you decide to contact her let me know and I will refer you because she said she will give you and me $50.

If you decide to work through Mossy stick with Escondido because I've had some recent sour experiences with the El Cajon one. They also came in a full $1,000 dollars higher than Murrieta and claimed it was for a non-existent lighting package on the SE. Two in Orange County said they would match any written offer, too. I spent a few days before I got the deal I felt comfortable with finalizing. I know JoulesThief did, as well. Benefit from our hard work :)

bizzle said:
The dealerships in Northern California, San Diego, and Murrieta were all willing to transport it to me at whatever they claimed their cost was going to be. I think they ranged from $300 to $700. They will even load one up, bring it to your door with the lease/purchase paperwork, and then hand you the keys so you don't even have to leave your living room until they arrive!

We ended up getting ours from Murrieta and spending the night with some family friends in El Cajon while we charge overnight for the final leg home. LeAnne was willing to match the best realistic price (not the one with "this is only pertaining to a single VIN on our lot and other fees *may* apply"--but an actual printed out bottom line quote from Sunnyvale). If you decide to contact her let me know and I will refer you because she said she will give you and me $50.

If you decide to work through Mossy stick with Escondido because I've had some recent sour experiences with the El Cajon one. They also came in a full $1,000 dollars higher than Murrieta and claimed it was for a non-existent lighting package on the SE. Two in Orange County said they would match any written offer, too. I spent a few days before I got the deal I felt comfortable with finalizing. I know JoulesThief did, as well. Benefit from our hard work :)

What he said /\

Sorry to thread jack but do you guys mind share the deals that you are getting from Norcal?

I was offered a pretty good deal last month but I snoozed on it and ended up missing the deal entirely.

Thanks in advance.

Mine was a little over a year ago so it wouldn't be applicable and the current deals are better from what I've seen.

But for reference, I drove away with a 2016 SE with nothing more than a signature and pay $199/month (pre-tax) with an $11K residual.

My summary for Hayward to SD drive:
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=9929
Subtract 3x FCs and 1x Level 2 charge, and it will get you to Sherman Oaks.

For me, the 2 offers I narrowed down to were VW Hayward (NorCal) at ~$7500 for 7.5k mi/year @2.5 years, and VW Kearney Mesa (SD) at ~$8700 for 10k mi/year @3 years. I got a run-around at Serramonte VW (NorCal), and Pacific VW in Torrance(?) wouldn't match Kearney Mesa's number. Mossy El Cajon (SD) was the worst, and their second offer was actually higher than their first at $10.5k for 7.5k mi/year @3years. And then I was offered a pen as if I was going to sign that second offer sheet. :roll:

Hayward and Kearney Mesa offers were pretty much even when the cost (not cost/mile) was distributed over the lease term. I wasn't concerned about the mileage limit, but Kearney Mesa added $600 option for clear tape on the door edges that I couldn't decline. (Why is it called an option when I can't opt to not have it?) So I went with the NorCal deal since it was shorter and without that dumb option, and it still qualified for the same state rebate.

Anyways, Bizzle's figure seems to be ~$1k lower than my Kearney Mesa offer:

fkxxqp.jpg

When all was said and done, after my 7500 tax credit and 2500 state of CA rebate, I was at about $15,200 before taxes and registration fees. There were no other added fees. Car was a brand new 2015 SEL, and I qualified for VW owner Loyalty of $2000 that month, October, 2015, which is included in the price paid above.

VW was pretty much at the height of diesel gate crisis discovery when I made that deal. They were in a bad spot so I made them an offer they couldn't refuse. I knew it was a good deal, but until I came around here, I didn't realize how really, really good a deal it was.

I am enjoying driving it, and after having it a year, it's really an exceptionally loaded with goodies car. The car net and the infotainment center don't really bother me, but they shouldn't, not for the price I paid.

So I spent the last 4 days soliciting proposals from dealers for a 2016 egolf SE w/DC Fast Charge. I live in So Cal, but saw all of the inventory in the bay area, so I reached out to them as well. By Saturday, the best quote was from my local Cardinale Way VW in Corona. When called them back to finalize everything in writing, they went back on the deal. Even though I was clear that I was not a VW owner nor recent college grad, they said the original deal included these. To top it off, their sales manager emailed me to say he would take $500 off my best deal. In the end, it was smoke and mirrors, and typical car salesman tactics.

I also had a great deal from Serramonte. They, however, are 450 miles from my home, hence the question about driving a new egolf that distance, and possibly shipping. Thanks daeofcal for the great summary. Your experience told me that, while it's doable, it was going to take a chunk of time, and in the best scenario, would take 13-14 hours. So, I decided to tighten up the net, and reach out to only local dealers.

I called 4 local dealers yesterday mid-morning, and by 1 PM, had what I consider an excellent deal from Bozzani in Covina. Here's my deal:
2016 eGolf SE w/DC Fast Charger, Pacific Blue
30 month lease
12,000 miles/yr
$2500 down
$149/month, including tax

I picked it up last night.

Derek and Robo at Bozzani were great to work with. The deal was exactly as he had communicated on the phone and through email. No hassles, just an easy deal.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. This is a great forum!

That's not a bad deal at all. I forgot to mention mine is for 10K miles/year and it would have been around $10/month to bump it up to 12K. Mine also doesn't have the fast charger so that looks reasonably comparable.

@Billsup - did u need the loyalty discount to get this deal? New graduate discount? The $2500 was what you had to pay to leave with the car and included the first months payment?

My deal did not include the loyalty discount nor the recent college grad. I think I caught the right dealer at the right time (end of month).
$2500 is what I paid up front. That included tax, title, license, fees, and first months payment. I have 29 additional payments at $149.31 (including tax).

billsup said:
My deal did not include the loyalty discount nor the recent college grad. I think I caught the right dealer at the right time (end of month).
$2500 is what I paid up front. That included tax, title, license, fees, and first months payment. I have 29 additional payments at $149.31 (including tax).
Wow so that's $220 with DCFC OTD. What a deal!

Since California is going to pay me $2500 to drive the eGolf, it will drop to $144.33/mo. Good times...
So far, loving the car!

Congrats! That's like $600 less than mine over the lease's lifetime for a lot more mileage, minus the hassle of driving down in 1 hour increments! I didn't take it all that seriously, but it seems like people do get sweeter deals at the end of the month.

In that line of thinking... if I somehow had the patience to hold off leasing a 2016 model until the 2017 showed up...

daeofcal said:
Congrats! That's like $600 less than mine over the lease's lifetime for a lot more mileage, minus the hassle of driving down in 1 hour increments! I didn't take it all that seriously, but it seems like people do get sweeter deals at the end of the month.

In that line of thinking... if I somehow had the patience to hold off leasing a 2016 model until the 2017 showed up...

I bought my 2015 after the 2016's had showed up. Sooo worth it. Maybe I'll buy a 2018 after the 2019's show up.

If you think your car is slightly cheaper and lighter then you can choose the open transportation because it will cost less charges in comparison to the enclosed transportation. The car will be completely exposed to the damage and the pollution and the owners are responsible for the repercussions of it . The auto shipper that i use are Citizenshipper because they provide good service.

One important thing that you can take care of is before transporting your car it is important to have proper insurance coverage for the car. The insurance will help the customers to get the amount of damage if it happens during the movement of the vehicle.

Back