Socal Owners - Grapevine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psykokid

Anyone made it over the grapevine from the DCFC in Santa Clarita or the L2 Station in Castaic to the DCFC EVgo in Bakersfield? Shows about 70 miles and I know I could get some regen on the back side of the grapevine, but worried about how much i'd loose going up. Any thoughts?

That's super sketchy. I was trying to figure out exactly how long the ascent is, and far it is, but can't find concrete data. All I know is it's SUPER long with a 5-6% grade for a lot of the way. The only thing I can compare it to is the Castaic Grade in SLO which is 7% and climbs 1500 odd feet. At around 60 mph I lost almost 10%. Going down it on my way home I gained 2-3%, but I knew the Castaic Grade would take a lot so I charged in SLO before I continued to Paso. I would honestly be worried about taking the Grapevine and would instead go around to the 14 and stop to charge in that area.

What year e-Golf are you driving and how fast you plan on going, and how far is your destination? It would be very problematic in a 2015 or 2015 e-Golf. Might just be easier to rent a gasoline based car for the trip, a lot less planning needed to get 'er done.

I bought my eGolf in Santa Rosa and drove it down to Orange county. Had to stop 5 times but made it. The app abetterrouteplanner was fantastic for planning this and it was pretty accurate. In one leg I drafted a semi and that allowed my to go 70 mph instead of the suggested 56 and I still had more range at the end.

I was easily able to ascend the Grapevine from a DCFC on the western side of Bakersfield "Countryside Market"/Shell to Pasadena. I set my cruise control to 60mph and was able to regenerate about 30 miles on the downhill into Santa Clarita. I made it to my Pasadena destination with 10miles left.

Back