Performance e-Golf Forum Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KebsE60M5

Hi,

I have had a 1999 Honda Civic Si, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R, a 2003 M3, and a 2008 M5, while just picking up a used 2015 e-Golf.

It's fun and peppy, but it can be better.

That said, for the performance enthusiasts out there:

1)Has anyone added a front strut tower bar yet? Is there room for it?
2)Any chance of chipping it to release the top speed limiter? I find the 85mph top speed limiting, especially because I use downhills to coast, charge, and get better mpg/mpg-e.
3)Any chance of upgrading the batteries for low range? I think there was some German outfit, but they wanted $10,000 which was ridiculous. A $3000-$5000 option would make sense.
4)Has anyone tried putting non-e-Golf rims on? What are the offsets, bolt pattern, and sizes that would fit? 18's? 19's?
5)I tried to put GTI mats in, dont' fit. the e-Golf has less floor area, so the Euro e-Golf mats are the only things that fit.
6)Added the monster mat for golf, but it was too small by a few square inches in each corner closest to the back bumper.
7)Briefly entertained door sill metal guards, but it's so slim, there seems like no point.
8)Anyone tried racking it factory-style?
9)I would like to get the suspension tighter. Anyone tried springs and shocks that worked better? I don't want to lower, but it's not as secure as either of my M cars, in fact it feels like a low-end BMW 328i on bumpy roads, unsettled. Anyone have a setup that works?
10)Adding leather would be great for my SEL Premium. The damn pleather is hot and makes the nether regions run a lot hotter and sweatier. I miss real German leather, and I would like seat coolers. Katzskin seems to have a heater/cooler option for $1300 front and back. I kind of just wanted the front, hoping they'd do it for like $800ish.
11)The e-Golf has more interior volume than a 3-series. Sadly. It can more easily take a Recaro ProRide in any of the three seats because the middle seat is not too narrow.
12)I tried to buy a faster level 2 charger, with a MaxPower2 from Bosch 40amp, which charges at 9.6kw. Apparentely e-Golf level 2 charging maxes out at 7.2kw (nooooooo) so I got extra charging capacity for nothing.
13)Wife drove in B mode, and came back after 40 miles of driving with only minus 10 miles on the day. Because wife mode.
14)None of the factory spoilers can be placed without buying primer version and spraying it down. Pacific Blue just isn't in the catalog.
15)Some sick 18's would really make the car. Ideas?
16)Rear strut tower bar would be nice too. Ideas?

Discuss performance options!

KebsE60M5 said:
Hi,

I have had a 1999 Honda Civic Si, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R, a 2003 M3, and a 2008 M5, while just picking up a used 2015 e-Golf.

It's fun and peppy, but it can be better.

That said, for the performance enthusiasts out there:

1)Has anyone added a front strut tower bar yet? Is there room for it?
2)Any chance of chipping it to release the top speed limiter? I find the 85mph top speed limiting, especially because I use downhills to coast, charge, and get better mpg/mpg-e.
3)Any chance of upgrading the batteries for low range? I think there was some German outfit, but they wanted $10,000 which was ridiculous. A $3000-$5000 option would make sense.
4)Has anyone tried putting non-e-Golf rims on? What are the offsets, bolt pattern, and sizes that would fit? 18's? 19's?
5)I tried to put GTI mats in, dont' fit. the e-Golf has less floor area, so the Euro e-Golf mats are the only things that fit.
6)Added the monster mat for golf, but it was too small by a few square inches in each corner closest to the back bumper.
7)Briefly entertained door sill metal guards, but it's so slim, there seems like no point.
8)Anyone tried racking it factory-style?
9)I would like to get the suspension tighter. Anyone tried springs and shocks that worked better? I don't want to lower, but it's not as secure as either of my M cars, in fact it feels like a low-end BMW 328i on bumpy roads, unsettled. Anyone have a setup that works?
10)Adding leather would be great for my SEL Premium. The damn pleather is hot and makes the nether regions run a lot hotter and sweatier. I miss real German leather, and I would like seat coolers. Katzskin seems to have a heater/cooler option for $1300 front and back. I kind of just wanted the front, hoping they'd do it for like $800ish.
11)The e-Golf has more interior volume than a 3-series. Sadly. It can more easily take a Recaro ProRide in any of the three seats because the middle seat is not too narrow.
12)I tried to buy a faster level 2 charger, with a MaxPower2 from Bosch 40amp, which charges at 9.6kw. Apparentely e-Golf level 2 charging maxes out at 7.2kw (nooooooo) so I got extra charging capacity for nothing.
13)Wife drove in B mode, and came back after 40 miles of driving with only minus 10 miles on the day. Because wife mode.
14)None of the factory spoilers can be placed without buying primer version and spraying it down. Pacific Blue just isn't in the catalog.
15)Some sick 18's would really make the car. Ideas?
16)Rear strut tower bar would be nice too. Ideas?

Discuss performance options!

I still have a 200SX SE-R in storage. Where are you located? I'm in the SF Bay Area. I'll answer the questions I know the answers to.

4) 5x112. Any rim for the GTI or R will work on the E-Golf too. It has been done before. You can expect to lose 15-25% range, given a combination of increased rotating mass located further from center, wider tires, increased wind resistance, and a lack of LRR tires in larger diameters.

5) The regular Golf / GTI mats don't fit because of the battery bump close to the seat rails. But VW does sell an OEM all-weather mat for the E-Golf.

6) Trunk mat (I believe) assumes that trunk's floorboard is in the upper position.

9) I've heard that there is no off-the-shelf setup that works well. All aftermarket springs are designed for the GTI and R that have different weight / weight distribution.

13) Do not believe the range meter. The range is calculated based on the last few minutes of driving.

15) I always liked the OEM Pretorias or the Durbans myself.

Until they are more popular any performance from tuners, etc will be minimum. I do believe they have an e-Golf cup in Europe though. Might have to find some brains to pick over there. I just found the Facebook group so I will do some digging . I have brought mine to an 1/8th mile drag strip and did a road course track day with it. Very consistent in the 1/8th mile, just very slow to first motion after letting off the brake and slow overall, ran 10.8-11.1 seconds over 10 passes.

There are e-Golf rubber mats out there, I have a set from a VW dealer off e-bay.
Aftermarket wheels are fine-just get the right offset and bolt pattern.

There are other threads and forumns (vwvortex) where folks have done suspensions and aftermarket wheels. The guys at the VW Fastivus event also had a demo one last year or 2015 that they did some modifications on and it was pretty sharp. Definitely have to stay with lightweight, low air resistance wheels though unless you don't mind a drop in range.http://www.fastivus.com/project-evolution/

Well, if there is a performance forum then have fun talking to yourself. Most buy EV's for the green aspect or like myself just like the electric concept. Most like the car asis or like in my case the car is leased so major mods are out of the question. I plan to turn in the car at lease end .

I WILL autocross mine in Solo 2 when I get it. I have a feeling that instant torque and low CG will kick butt on the short Solo 2 (parking lot) tracks. Just need a set of sticky road tires.

The closest Solo 2 events from my place is about 5km away. So I'll just swap the tires in my garage, eco+ over to the events, do a few runs and eco+ back home to swap back to low resistance tires.

I don't think I'll be doing any mods beyond swapping tires for the day.

95GLX said:
Race Car Specs from the Hong Kong E-Touring Challenge utilizing the e-Golf.

http://e-touringcar.frdsports.com/en/car_info.php

So I'm reading the specs. The tires are 245/40 ZR18. Really? 245 can fit? Interesting!

p10.png

Also of note:

p11.jpeg

RevoZport Razor 7E Aerokit
Custom Design for e-Golf Race Car, named as Razor 7E
All components are produced in carbon fibre
Increase 20% downforce, efficient breaking and improves traction at high speeds
Reduce aerodynamic drag and consequently, stabilise the race car especially when cornering.
-Razor 7E Front Splitter
-Razor 7E Upper Front Bumper Canard
-Razor 7E Lower Front Bumper Canard
-Razor 7E Side Skirt
-Razor 7E Rear Diffuser
-Razor 7E GT Roof Spoiler

So the part I find interesting is: "Reduce aerodynamic drag". So the eGolf from the factory still isn't as good aerodynamically? Does this mean that with those aero add-ons, we could reduce drag even more for better mileage? Probably not the rear wing, but the front/rear splitter/diffuser and side skirts?

Now, I'm intrigued.

Zeuser said:
So the part I find interesting is: "Reduce aerodynamic drag". So the eGolf from the factory still isn't as good aerodynamically? Does this mean that with those aero add-ons, we could reduce drag even more for better mileage? Probably not the rear wing, but the front/rear splitter/diffuser and side skirts?

Now, I'm intrigued.

Aero is about compromise. So an E-Golf will be as aerodynamic as possible given a specific cost target, styling target, wind noise target, and expected operating conditions. Most of the body kit on that race car is for looks because an E-Golf doesn't hit speeds high enough to make a significant difference. The cost of adding the kit is far higher than mileage gain. For proof of the kit's effectiveness, how much clean passing did you see in the youtube video of that race, even when comparing one car with mangled/dragging body panels vs. a car that was undamaged?

Most buyers want a quiet electric car that can climb over speed bumps and driveways without scraping, so by default, the E-Golf from the factory isn't as good aerodynamically as it could be.

Back