New Nissan leaf debuts tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much nicer body lines on this generation. Has a bit of a Golf hatchback set of lines to it, overall, but not in the minute details. And at last, it doesn't look like an oddball electric car, more mainstream just another vehicle.

With VW's 35.8 kWh battery vs a 40 kWh battery, and entering the market so late with it... it's going to be more problematic than ever, especially at VW's entry level price point. I'm wondering if the value is even there.

Agreed it's much better looking than the Leaf Gen1, about on par with the Prius Prime. Hopefully the interior has been improved as well. I sat in a Leaf for about 10 seconds before deciding it was not the car for me.

Apparently the horsepower also has a significant upgrade going from 107 to 147. The 2017 e-Golf only has 134.

Reserved a 2018 Leaf at http://www.nissan.ca/en/future-and-concept-vehicles/2018-leaf-reservation/#!

If VW doesn't deliver my eGolf before the end of 2017. I'll cancel the order. Then I'll just wait a bit longer to get a better EV with the new Leaf. The price for the base model is EXACTLY the same as the eGolf. But you get more with the Leaf.

Yes... I'm basically hedging my bets. I wouldn't have to if VW wasn't so damn slow to deliver the goods.

Zeuser said:
Reserved a 2018 Leaf at http://www.nissan.ca/en/future-and-concept-vehicles/2018-leaf-reservation/#!

If VW doesn't deliver my eGolf before the end of 2017. I'll cancel the order. Then I'll just wait a bit longer to get a better EV with the new Leaf. The price for the base model is EXACTLY the same as the eGolf. But you get more with the Leaf.

Yes... I'm basically hedging my bets. I wouldn't have to if VW wasn't so damn slow to deliver the goods.

useable range is better than the power bump , the more range , the more people can daily commute with it to get savings ..

Kosta said:
Zeuser said:

useable range is better than the power bump , the more range , the more people can daily commute with it to get savings ..
Agree with wholeheartedly.

I just got a call from my Dealership in Ontario (Canada). Apparently I won't be getting a 2017, I'll be getting a 2018. In the springtime. Well then Volkswagen, this opens you up to competition. The new leaf is coming in springtime and it's exactly the same price. I think I'll be paying Nissan a visit this weekend to finalize the reservation.

Since the timing for both cars is the same, I think the Leaf may get the upper hand as far as value vs price.

So disappointed in VW right now :x

Zeuser said:
I just got a call from my Dealership in Ontario (Canada). Apparently I won't be getting a 2017, I'll be getting a 2018. In the springtime. Well then Volkswagen, this opens you up to competition. The new leaf is coming in springtime and it's exactly the same price. I think I'll be paying Nissan a visit this weekend to finalize the reservation.

Since the timing for both cars is the same, I think the Leaf may get the upper hand as far as value vs price.

When and where did you reserve the e-Golf (I know you mentioned in another thread but can't find it right now)?

flyboy320 said:
Zeuser said:

When and where did you reserve the e-Golf (I know you mentioned in another thread but can't find it right now)?

June 2017, Georgetown VW. I was told "maybe" as early as November. Could be Jan 2018.

I buy what's already there, on the show floor, in inventory. No sense in getting ones hopes dashed.

Hard to do that in Canada for EVs. They're notoriously difficult to find.

You have to pre-order them.

Models I've asked about that must be pre-ordered:

- eGolf
- Bolt
- i3
- Leaf
- Volt (Most dealerships)
- Ioniq

Even when they do have one, it's usually a demo they won't sell or some customer's car they just put in the showroom, with locked doors, that they're going to deliver in a few days.

The Bolt, for example, is harder to get than a corvette. 2 dealers around my place have plenty of vettes in inventory. One of them actually has 2 in the showroom. But ask for a Bolt? Sold out for this year (2017) and we're not taking orders for 2018s yet. This was back in May 2017.

It's so bad in Canada that it has spawned sites like this: https://www.desmog.ca/2017/09/12/where-are-canada-s-missing-electric-cars

Back