Honda Clarity - 90 miles $199 / with $899 down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbin404

Looks liike Honda is getting in the game a little late (because all cars can do 100+ now) but in case someone needs it.

$199 month with $899 down. I guess good until dec 31st.

Here's what I saw.
LONG - 1.5' longer than the VW
Push button Shifting
Toggle shifters on steering wheel
QUIET Parking Brake...haha
Brake Hold...if you push this while stopped (say at a drive through) it holds the brake down until you touch the pedal.
No regen settings that I could find.
Lane Departure
Cruise Follow assist (Keeps a certain distance from other cars)
RIGHT TURN Camera....oooo I fell in love with this (Lets you see right side blind spots in the center console)
3 Backup cameras (A wide, normal, and extreme low on the bumper)
DCFC - Located in front of drivers door
10" (I think) center console

Just pointing it out for people who like to compare cars...with the $7500 pretty much gone, it's time to get a car in before the end of the year.

The spec that stands out the most is the 89 mile EPA range. That is very disappointing for a car released in 2017. Our e-Golf lease is up in April 2018 and my wife asked about the Clarity Electric after she saw a billboard for it. I mentioned the range and all she could say is "Really? Is that all?". Scratch that off the list...

miimura said:
The spec that stands out the most is the 89 mile EPA range. That is very disappointing for a car released in 2017. Our e-Golf lease is up in April 2018 and my wife asked about the Clarity Electric after she saw a billboard for it. I mentioned the range and all she could say is "Really? Is that all?". Scratch that off the list...

Mitsubishi dropped their golf cart with doors off production too - small target of customers i-MiEV works downtown core - lack of range keeps it there ... jmho , most ICE vehicles will run 5 hrs before needing a fuel stop - I wonder if most BEVs will reach that time frame of use - TESLA is there on their high end and electric busses / heavy trucks have to be - the Mrs has not been at a gas station since July 15 - more smiles per mile in a BEV

I looked at this at the LA Auto Show earlier this week. 89 miles is indeed disappointing, but that's why Honda is giving them away so cheap. When you can't compete on features, you compete on price. For a lot of people, this is do-able as a second car.

It is easily the largest of the EV's for sale in recent memory other than maybe the Tesla Model S/X. Much bigger than the eGolf, Bolt, or Leaf, and will sit 5 people more comfortably, based on my impressions. Not a hatchback though, so cargo space isn't as useful.

RonDawg said:
I looked at this at the LA Auto Show earlier this week. 89 miles is indeed disappointing, but that's why Honda is giving them away so cheap. When you can't compete on features, you compete on price. For a lot of people, this is do-able as a second car.

It is easily the largest of the EV's for sale in recent memory other than maybe the Tesla Model S/X. Much bigger than the eGolf, Bolt, or Leaf, and will sit 5 people more comfortably, based on my impressions. Not a hatchback though, so cargo space isn't as useful.
Did you happen to notice the MSRP on it?

There is no MSRP for the Clarity, it cannot be bought. It says 'CVA CVA' on the sticker.

forbin404 said:
There is no MSRP for the Clarity, it cannot be bought. It says 'CVA CVA' on the sticker.

I looked at one Friday night at Keyes Honda in Woodland Hills, CA. MSRP sticker is about $37500. it is a very nicely appointed fully loaded Honda inside. I am afraid VW is going to lose lease deals on their Golfs to these new Honda Clarity's. It is more a mid sized car, has a full sized trunk, and space under the front hood is truly cavernous, for the amount of electrical motor, transmission and charging hardware cradled inside there.. I'm not sure I like the body lines, though. It's a car that screams it's an electric. That and closed end lease, no buy out option at the end. Seems to me like Honda is using folks as beta testers, while the beta testers pay to drive the car. Test Marketing.

I was hunting around and when you lease here's the numbers

MSRP $32777
Residual $30370
Depreciation 6152
Rent 1011
Total Payments 7164

So basically, you are renting this car from Honda, it's not even really a lease.

forbin404 said:
I was hunting around and when you lease here's the numbers

MSRP $32777
Residual $30370
Depreciation 6152
Rent 1011
Total Payments 7164

So basically, you are renting this car from Honda, it's not even really a lease.

And in the end, you got nothing.... I think it's a 2 year lease, doesn't even qualify for $2500 CAlifornia state rebate?

JoulesThief said:
I think it's a 2 year lease, doesn't even qualify for $2500 CAlifornia state rebate?

No it's a 36 month lease. But curiously, I cannot find any mention of a mileage cap.

https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-electric

Back