Now I've seen the worst charger design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbin404

Seen on a Toyota Rav EV.
Note : This is for the Chademo charger, the Level 2 Charging port is on the right rear.
Link if you can't see it
https://ibb.co/mxv1en

OMG He has to open his hood every time to plug in the Chademo?
IMG_20180318_153400.jpg

Toyota only provides J1772 charging with a Tesla 40 amp 10kW on-board charger on the RAV4 EV. The car has a 41.8kWh battery. The CHAdeMO port shown is aftermarket. That's why it's under the hood like that. It makes the car much more useful for regional travel like around the SF Bay Area or the LA-SD area. Without the fast charger added, you can drive for two hours then you have to charge for at least 4 hours to drive for another 2 hours. On a normal 30 amp 208V charging station, it's more like 6 hours to add 100 miles. With the CHAdeMO a 30 minute charging stop can add 60 miles and if you arrive pretty empty, you can add 90 miles in 45 minutes without the charger slowing down at all. That's much better than a 2015/2016 e-Golf. The Tesla battery in the car has active cooling too, so you can drive like that all day long.

In case you can't tell from my sig, I have one too.

I don't have much problem adding 80 miles to my 2015 SEL in 20 minutes with CCS, provided my battery is down to the Red Reserve portion of the dash gauge, with 10 or less miles miles left on the guess-o-meter. But I keep my speed at or under 55 mph at all times, and try to stay off of the freeway as much as possible. I also really try to stay away from those DCFC 20 to 30 minute chargers completely, if at all possible. Not worth it, hard on a 24 kWh e-Golf battery in the 2015 and 2016 models. The 35.6 kWh batteries from the 2017 and later models, having more battery capacity, are more forgiving, I believe, with DCFC.

Back