Will not accept charge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ejessup

I have an expensive problem. I have had an e golf for 3 years. It is a 2016 model. I almost always charge it from my home charger never had a problem. Been doing that for the last couple of years. Then last week my work colleagues said to use the work charger as work would pay for my charge. So this ac 7 kw charger plugged into my egolf and immediately I got abnormal readings on the indicator lights go green yellow intermittently with a clicking in bonnet then after 30 seconds or so flashing red light occurs. From that moment car will not accept any charge from any charge unit. Vw Germany are sending a new €1980 unit that say something needs replacing. The question is why did using a more powerful charger blow something of this enormous cost in my Vw. Surely there is a design fault if this charger has blown something this expensive. I really need answers as this has made me seriously question ever getting a Vw again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is there still a power train / high voltage system warranty on your car?

I agree charging at higher amps (13 amps at home vs 30 amps at work?) should not cause a problem. Has anyone else used the charging station at work after you did and have an issue?

Yes my colleague has a fancy new Toyota Rav hybrid which charges it with no bother. I didn’t know there was a high voltage system warranty. I assumed warranty only covered the batteries.

Yes, in the USA the e-Golf has a 5 (6? - I need to check the booklet in the glovebox) year high voltage system warranty in addition to the battery itself. You should check.

Just checked the warranty manual for my car: USA e-Golf has 5 year / 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty, which covers high voltage system in car.

Back