CarPlay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm terribly late to the party with getting Apple CarPlay setup in the eGolf, but after trying 2 or 3 times back when first I got the car & not succeeding, I figured it wasn't too necessary. Now, I'm just curious if I can get it to actually wok in my car. I have a 2016 VW eGolf SE & about the same age iPhone 6S with (very old software) iOS 13.3. I've tried everything to get the infotainment system to recognize my iPhone and the iPhone to recognize my infotainment system, both wirelessly and using the charging cord--ALL WITH NO LUCK. I've even watched numerous YouTube videos and none of it seems to work with my car.

I was just going to ask the service department next time I brought it in for service, but that isn't til November.

Any suggestions?

Does your car have a CarPlay compatible infotainment system that isn’t working or as you asking how to swap in a CaPlay compatible system?

Not entirely sure if my infotainment system has compatible CarPlay (I assumed it did). It doesn't ask to connect to my iPhone when I have the phone in Bluetooth mode or when I have my iPhone plugged into the eGolf via the charging cable. Perhaps it is not compatible. Would infotainment software update fi that?

If you plug in your iPhone and there is no message about the connection, then I suspect your infotainment system does not have CarPlay. Software update from VW for e-Golf? Very unlikely, I think. Call up VW and ask.

I am using old iPhone too. A 6s. However it's on iOS 14 and does do car play. I even see the plugshare app. Very nice.
Did you ask 800aplcare what ver iOS needs to be running?

FYI, I owned a 2016 VW eGolf SEL, and it had CarPlay (that I used every day). I am pretty sure that ALL 2016 Golfs and e-Golfs are able to do CarPlay. I had one software update on the 2016 e-Golf for security, and CarPlay worked before the update (and after).

I would check that (i) your iOS is updated to the most recent version available for your iPhone, (ii) you have a known-good USB-Lightning cable (test it out on a computer beforehand, if possible; it needs to be able to transmit data and not just charge), and (iii) your Lighning port on the phone is clean (use a toothpick to gently pick out any accumulated fuzz). If still no luck, try restarting the infotainment system on your e-Golf. Press and hold the power button on the display until the screen goes blank and shows the VW logo as it reboots. If the infotainment system does not detect your phone, there is also the possibility that the USB port in your e-Golf is faulty.

Good luck and report back!

My carplay wasn't working when I got the car. The USB was charging but not sending or receiving data. They installed a new USB on warranty.

CarPlay is supported on your e-Golf:
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

CarPlay is supported on your iPhone/iOS version (iPhone 5 or greater, iOS 7.1 or greater).
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/apple-carplay

So neither your car nor phone is the issue.

The e-Golf uses a 'hard wire' integration. It does not support wireless CarPlay. So before heading off to the dealer, you might want to be certain you're connecting your iPhone to the USB port located in the cubby under the infotainment unit. Second, be certain you're USB cable is not the issue. I had a been using a cheap lightning cable that only worked when inserted into the phone one way, but not the other. I swapped the cable for a real Apple cable and it worked just fine. Not wanting a white cable in the car, I had located a short black lightning cable and it worked just fine too. I'm still using this cable.

If after confirming you're connected to USB with a good cable and it still doesn't work, then consider reaching out to the dealer for assistance.

Hope you find this helpful.

I picked up a used 2015 eGolf with a MIB2 part number of 3Q0 035 866A recently, and was able to "hacktivate" Carplay on it based on the following online information. Do it at your own risk, of course.

Tutorial by Youtuber Mr Fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uwYmBPc1Q
Project Github: https://github.com/olli991/mib-std2-pq-zr-toolbox

My unit has the smallest 6.5" touchscreen, my next attempt will be retrofitting a 9.2" touchscreen from a MK7.5, will report here if I have any progress.

I had a weird case concerning carplay. My car has it but didn't work when I bought the car. USB didn't see the phone at all.
It was still under warranty and the dealer found it had a wrong (not faulty) USB slot. It did charge but not transfer data. Can't understand how it's possible but now it works.

I still don't use carplay unless a really special case. IMHO it looks like crap and UI is far from stock system. Only real advantage is better traffic information than stock navi. But I don't really need it where I live.

I love CarPlay and use it every time I drive. Great for navigation, podcasts, ABRP route planning, EA and Chargepoint status, etc. love it.

Also use CarPlay but didn’t like the hardwired only option so I bought a usb dongle that uses blue tooth and connects automatically when I get in the car. Very nice for texts and phone calls hands free as well as ABRP and music apps.

Also use CarPlay but didn’t like the hardwired only option so I bought a usb dongle that uses blue tooth and connects automatically when I get in the car. Very nice for texts and phone calls hands free as well as ABRP and music apps.
Agree it is great for texts and phone calls, too. Which dongle do you use?

I have gotten so used to plugging in every day that it is almost second nature for me. Does the phone drain a lot while you use GPS?

the dealer found it had a wrong (not faulty) USB slot. It did charge but not transfer data. Can't understand how it's possible but now it works.
That's pretty common for USB sockets designed for charging to have dummy data pins (not connected to anything). e.g. The socket in your charging AC adapter. Someone in VW's supply chain probably ordered the wrong part, and it got installed in a bunch of cars before they noticed it was wrong.

UPDATE to my November post. Applecare did not know why, but my ver 14 stopped working. So by updating to ver 15 it fixed problem! That's not the first experience where apple OS & iOS versions build-in a self obsolete time point where something just stops working.

UPDATE to my November post. Applecare did not know why, but my ver 14 stopped working. So by updating to ver 15 it fixed problem! That's not the first experience where apple OS & iOS versions build-in a self obsolete time point where something just stops working.
Great to hear. Thanks. I have never had CarPlay issues on my 2017. Currently running latest iOS software.

Back