EVSE cable shows fault after 1:10 seconds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchofla

I have just purchased a 2016 egolf SE and it came with a 240/120 EVSE. I have plugged it into both 120 with gfci 120 without gfci, 240 circuit and in all instances the behavior is the same red light, green light then a little over 1 minute in to the test phase it throws the fault light (yellow) and it does two slow flashes and 5 fast flashes. Also display's the fault triangle and a 25 next to it. Have not been able to find anything about the error online. Took the car to a public charging station and it charged just fine no errors or code (of course using the stations equipment). Before I buy a new EVSE is there anything else I can do. I have pictures but being a newbie not sure it is allowed yet or how to on this forum.

Thanks

Rancho

Ranchofla said:
I have just purchased a 2016 egolf SE and it came with a 240/120 EVSE. I have plugged it into both 120 with gfci 120 without gfci, 240 circuit and in all instances the behavior is the same red light, green light then a little over 1 minute in to the test phase it throws the fault light (yellow) and it does two slow flashes and 5 fast flashes. Also display's the fault triangle and a 25 next to it. Have not been able to find anything about the error online. Took the car to a public charging station and it charged just fine no errors or code (of course using the stations equipment). Before I buy a new EVSE is there anything else I can do. I have pictures but being a newbie not sure it is allowed yet or how to on this forum.

Thanks

Rancho

Go to a known good 120V 15 amp dedicated circuit outlet with a proper ground, and see if the EVSE your car came with works fine there. If it does, you have a wiring or ground problem with it. I don't believe the stock EVSE that it comes with will function on 240V, only 120V? If you managed to plug it in to 240V and it doesn't work on 240V, you fried the unit, time to buy a new one.

We have no idea what make and model your 2016 e-Golf came with since you bought it used. Post up make and model of the unit. You have provided incomplete information to help you.

If it’s the “Delphi” branded EVSE, it is NOT compatible with 240 volts out of the factory. So there’s a good chance it got fried.

It’s definitely not the car if it charges from a dedicated public L2 station.

If you need a new 120 volt EVSE, the Delphi is basically a Clipper Creek PCS-15 built under license: https://store.clippercreek.com/pcs-15-portable-ev-charging-station There are cheaper (sub-$200) units but I don’t know how good they are.

Go to a known good 120V 15 amp dedicated circuit outlet with a proper ground, and see if the EVSE your car came with works fine there. If it does, you have a wiring or ground problem with it. I don't believe the stock EVSE that it comes with will function on 240V, only 120V? If you managed to plug it in to 240V and it doesn't work on 240V, you fried the unit, time to buy a new one.

We have no idea what make and model your 2016 e-Golf came with since you bought it used. Post up make and model of the unit. You have provided incomplete information to help you.

The EVSE that came with the car is not the original Delphi unit, there is no manufacture information on it and it does come with an adapter to change the 240 plug to a 110 plug. The circuits I have plugged into have been tested and they are do not have a wiring fault. I would love to be able to go to who ever made the EVSE that I have and ask them about the fault but in many hours of googling I have found about three or four different companies who's units look the same and the bag that came with matched each of those companies when I was able to search them down. All of course are based in foreign countries.

thanks for the reply...

Rancho
North Florida

My new EVSE came in yesterday and it works as it should. Left the house this morning with 101 miles showing on dash YEAH!! :D :D :D

Ranchofla said:
My new EVSE came in yesterday and it works as it should. Left the house this morning with 101 miles showing on dash YEAH!! :D :D :D

What make and model EVSE did you end up buying?

JoulesThief said:
Ranchofla said:

What make and model EVSE did you end up buying?

I bought this one... DUOSIDA Level 2 EVSE Portable Electric Vehicle Charger (240V, 16A). Drove the car to work and to lunch then home had 50 miles left though if you take the 20% off only had 30, but that is still plenty of cushion. Charging tonight to do errands tomorrow.

Back