Negotiating a 2019 SE...Service Contract and GAP Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianoble

When I got my numbers today they included about $3k Service Contract and $895 GAP Insurance. How necessary are those and should I negotiate those out of the contract? With $10800 off MSRP I don't want to spoil the deal!

ianoble said:
When I got my numbers today they included about $3k Service Contract and $895 GAP Insurance. How necessary are those and should I negotiate those out of the contract? With $10800 off MSRP I don't want to spoil the deal!
I didn't have to take either for my purchase from DTLA VW but I only got $10K off MSRP due to not having any other qualifying discounts.
I wouldn't accept them.

ianoble said:
If you're buying the car, you should think about whether you want the Service Contract or not. That's mostly an assessment of the reliability of the expensive EV specific components in the car and how long you plan to keep it. In any case, the price is WAY inflated. You should be able to negotiate it to almost half that price

I have Gap Insurance on my Tesla Model 3 because I took a 7 year low interest loan (at the same interest rate as 5 years and I can pay it off any time without penalty). I only pay my insurer an additional $24/year for the Gap Insurance.

If you don't want them, just say "No, thank you" and don't sign anything until it's off the contract.

$3000 is too much for the service contract, regular maintenance over the first 50k miles shouldn't run you more than $1000, even taking it to VW dealerships for the services. Look at the maintenence schedule for the e-golf, and you'll see that the 10k, 20k, 30k, and 50k services are basically check the 12v battery and make sure that there's no abnormal wear and tear on the vehicle. The 40k service is a little more extensive, but not $3000 extensive.

With GAP insurance, $895 is too much for a 5, or even 7 year loan. Contact your Auto Insurer, and they'll sell you GAP insurance for something like $25-40 a year, or $125-280 over the lifetime of the loan.

The Service Contract and GAP insurance is not requisite to get the deal that the dealership is offering you. If they try and force it down your throat, go to another dealer, and they'll happily give you the same discount without strings attached.

Back