$199 annual fee to do delayed charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnett

Before I bought the e-Golf, the sales reps assured me that delayed charging was possible from the infotainment screen. Only after I bought the car did I learn that the only way to do delayed charging was through Car-Net, which requires a $199 annual fee. I think that is unacceptable. My 2002 RAV4 EV has on-board delayed charging (and it's very simple).

I have complained to VW and people are looking into it. But I urge all e-Golf owners to complain about this. Delayed charging is not a feature one should pay for, it is fundamental to an electric car. If enough people complain maybe they will do something about it. I went to the VW home page, found Contact Us and sent an email. I also complained to the dealer where I bought the car. Incidentally, the sales rep there didn't understand what I was complaining about because he said just do delayed charging through the infotainment system. He himself didn't believe the only way to get delayed charging was through Car-Net.

I agree it should be a function from within the car, as should the ability to set the charge level.

As solace, we do get free 6 months trial, and I believe 3 years free of e-settings or e-mnager. which may include these functions

Ron

There are two separate Car-Net trial plans that is provided with the new car that independent of each other. The Car-Net services comes with a free trial and costs $199 per year. This one is independent from ability to control charge on the eGolf. This gives you the 911 service and live operator assistance for information and navigation services. You can opt out of this and the eGolf plan features will still work. I know I'm not paying for the service once the trial lapses. I'm on month 2 and I still haven't used the service.

The second is the eGolf plan which comes with 3 years free. I don't know how much VW is going to charge for the eGolf features after year 3 is up, but at this point since it doesn't work reliably at this point, I can't say that it matters.

Tuningin said:
There are two separate Car-Net trial plans that is provided with the new car that independent of each other. The Car-Net services comes with a free trial and costs $199 per year. This one is independent from ability to control charge on the eGolf. This gives you the 911 service and live operator assistance for information and navigation services. You can opt out of this and the eGolf plan features will still work. I know I'm not paying for the service once the trial lapses. I'm on month 2 and I still haven't used the service.

The second is the eGolf plan which comes with 3 years free. I don't know how much VW is going to charge for the eGolf features after year 3 is up, but at this point since it doesn't work reliably at this point, I can't say that it matters.

I also do not plan to continue the 6-month trial past it's expiration. Though I fully expect managed/delayed charging via Car-Net to be fixed before too long, and some permanent method of making it functional at no charge implemented before the 3-year trial ends, I agree with the OP that we should all be making noise to make sure it happens ASAP.

Today I tried to do remote heater turn on. Got a new one, login failure. When I called to ask what was going on, they eventually decided the server had crashed.

Leads to the obvious question: Are the timers actually running on the vehicle, with the server just providing UI, or does it take a call from central every night to turn on the charger, so a server failure or spotty cell service means my delayed charge doesn't start?

Back