always 72!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svento

Every time I "start" my car it seems to default to a climate control temp of 72. For a while I blamed this on a whole bunch of reasons like forgetting what I last set it to, or maybe my wife changed it last time she drove, etc. But I am now carefully watching and in fact every time I get in the car I set it to 70, and then every time I get in next it is back to 72. A while back I changed the car-net default temperate to 70, and I can't find anywhere else in the app or web site where I can change temperature. Has anyone else noticed this???

(To save our poor east coast friends some frustration, I'll leave out a discussion of how it may be 78 here today so I need the AC on :) )

Yeah.. car always sets to 72 when you start it. If you recently turned the car off, it will keep your old settings, but most of the time it just sets it to 72. What's worse.. even if you used Carnet to preheat (or cool) the car, when you start it, it goes back to 72.

Ugh I was afraid that was the answer. I'm starting to feel like a pilot when I drive... I have a checklist of things to do before I can pull away: 1) set temp, 2) set desired eco mode, 3) put in reverse, 4) push back up camera park assist hide button (so I can actually see the left side of what I'm backing into on the screen), 5) put into drive, 6) hit shifter left 3 times to enter recuperation level D3!

Only 2 of those 6 steps should be required in any car where I'm the only driver and always want the same driving style and comfort every time!

I was hoping to find a different answer to this as well... I wonder if there is a possible fix, software update or something. It's always things like this that annoy you as an owner but you would never think of during a test drive. :x

Same issue here, bought the car two weeks ago. Brought the car in because the heat didn't work at all, and thought they might look at this quirk too. Turns out there was an HVAC software update campaign released in the last 2 weeks but it did NOT resolve either problem.

This is the answer I received back from VW about this issue:

+72 °F is the optimal temperature for the HVAC system to operate when it comes to range. If it is too much warmer or colder, it will make the system work harder, and therefore use more of the charger and lower the vehicle's range.

The system may also revert to +72 °F if you are in Eco or Eco+ mode, as those driving profiles adjust the HVAC system for maximum efficiency. Also, CarNet will not change anything in the vehicle unless instructed by the driver.

I find it very hard to believe that heating the vehicle to 72 uses less energy than heating it to 70 (when it's 50 degrees... or -20 outside). But even if it did, my point was that the vehicle resets to 72 every time I start it and I almost never want it set to 72. I feel like I'm explaining such basic concepts to these folks. I'd suggest anyone who has a problem with this writes to [email protected] . Eventually (I'd hope) they will get tired of the complaints and fix it!

Moreover I would imagine that OFF would be even better for range than ON at 72. Living in a wonderfully temperate climate, I often prefer the HVAC completely off, yet it will just turn itself back on again. Thanks for the tip, will write into VW.

This is good information to know - I will be looking for a fix on this, too. Give me a fresh air vent by default please! Or, whatever I leave it on, should be where it is set, when I turn it back on.

How obnoxious! I don't own an eGolf (yet, anyway), but both my Leaf and my Insight remember the temperature to which the climate control was set.

This feature *should* have nothing to do with the drive train. Does anyone know if the other Golf variants have this issue as well?

Same issue with the climate control here in Belgium : it always reset auto to 22,5 C°. I did notice it to the VW network... with same reply .. same issue with the ECO or ECO plus system which turns back to normal, as well as the GPS audio volume which goes back to low when ignition is off.
It is a matter of fact that driver has to set a number of switches and controls before starting, compared to a 'petrol' engine car. Price to pay for environmental care ? It is somewhat harassing....

This control should come on to the setting it was left at when the car is shut off. It should be "sticky" to use the parlance.

Here's the email I sent to VW Customer Care:

Greetings,

I am really enjoying driving my new e-Golf. I really like that coasting is the default driving mode.

However, I do not like that each time I turn on the car, after it has sat for a while, it turns on the HVAC to 72F. I would MUCH prefer that it stay on whatever setting I left it, when I turned off the car. This control needs to be "sticky".

I run with only fresh air vent about 99% of the time. I almost never use the heat - if I need to be warmer, I use the seat heater. I almost never use the A/C - I crack open the windows and run the fan on the fresh air vents. Which is not what other people do, I am sure.

Which is the point - the car should keep the previous setting, whatever that is; rather than always reverting to 72F setting. You need to let the driver decide what to do. I want to drive the car in the most efficient way possible, and I don't want to have to shut the system off every time I start the car.

On the My VW eGolf forum, there is a thread on this, and nobody who has posted there like the way it works, now.

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=222

Please make this change to the programming - or, at least allow the driver to select a "sticky" mode for the HVAC.

I got a reply from VW, and was told that I could turn of the "Climatronic" system, by hitting the Menu button. The thing is there are two Menu buttons, and neither one has a way to shut it off. The only options in the Menu button below the Auto button is to turn on the direct heating defroster, and to recirculate the air.

I have not gotten a second reply, yet.

Any updates on this issue? Or we stuck with 72 degrees?

Not a deal breaker but as I'm reading through the other issues (charger lock, car sleep, sub-par infotainment/navi system, car-net, etc.) I'm starting to have my doubts about getting this car :(

This will only be fixed by a software update, and it has not been fixed as far as I know.

Do we have to go to the dealer for these, or do they happen direct to the car?

oftheseven said:
Not a deal breaker but as I'm reading through the other issues (charger lock, car sleep, sub-par infotainment/navi system, car-net, etc.) I'm starting to have my doubts about getting this car :(

My opinion: If you're buying the car for the electronic feature (nav system, infotainment system, app control, etc) wait for the 2016. If you just want a nice looking, fun electric car (and you can get a good deal), buy it now. I have lots of complaints about the car, but if I forget about all the small bugs, it's a very fun car to drive, I save a ton in gas, and I am proud to walk up to the car (would never have that feeling walking up to a prius :) )

Must say that beside these ennoying software things, the e-golf is very funny to drive, enough power, silent... it costs about 4 euros/100 km and I do not regret the amount of money I put in it.I 'm pretty sure VW will fix it. I keep my confidence in this brand, I drive a T5 as well with full of pleasure!

Can you not change this in your Car Net settings?

I have actually been trying to get an answer on this exact question ever since I've owned the vehicle. Has anyone had any good luck with VW customer care?? My experience thus far has been that they take forever and never provide the RIGHT answer.

Noticed that as well in my car but I'm fine with it as I pretty much never use it just turn it right off.

I though that you can do that via to vw-net.com and change it to what ever you want. Will try it out today.

oftheseven said:
There are always areas every product could be improved, so you'll always find criticism in owners forums but that doesn't mean you should avoid the product.
The charger lock is really only an issue for people who use communal chargers in shared spaces. If you use a charger that's one-per-bay it wouldn't be a problem.
Coming from a 2010 GTI, I would say the infotainment system in the e-Golf is a huge improvement. The responsiveness of the touch screen is much better than the 2010 version, the zoom on a dial is really useful, I even think the voice control is functional, though I never think to use it.
CarNet has shortcomings, but it's like the Louis CK skit about people complaining that wi-fi on aircraft is slow - the fact that it's possible at all is a technological marvel. Sure, there are things that CarNet is supposed to be able to do and doesn't which is a problem, but they are (slowly) addressing them and the functions that do work are probably better than anything your current car has. I certainly didn't have any remote connection capability in the 2010 GTI.
Drive the car. If you like how it drives, most of the other stuff is icing on the cake...

oftheseven said:
Any updates on this issue? Or we stuck with 72 degrees?

I have a couple gripes...But this is the best car ive ever owned. Ive had a 1990 vw passat, a 2006 gti, a 2004 golf, and a 2006 audi A3. Thus car is my favorite......

Back