Is Car-Net reading this forum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

Anytime we talk to Car-Net, tell them to assign someone to read this sub-forum and post status, tips, answers to our many questions. That they don't do so and use the forum to communicate and get feedback from all of us is very puzzling.

In addition to the problems with delayed charging and destinations discussed in other posts, I offer the following suggestions:

1. Either replace or add to EPA designated kwh/100miles shown with miles/kwh, which is a much more useful number and is what the car trip display shows
2. Fix the popup error for each trip to show the same number
3. Add the 3 categories and terminology of battery usage the car display shows to the drop down box: since start (ignition on/trip), extended period (19? or 99? hours of driving time, and since last charge. This to be in synch with what the driver sees on the vehicle trip display
4. Add kwh remaining to go along the % of charge number. This I assume should just be % charge remaining * 21.1 usable total kwh for a fully charged battery

Ron

A classic example of Betteridge's Law of Headlines with the title of this thread :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

Car-net won't be reading this thread because the software and communications services are done under contract by a division of Verizon. Their client is VW (maybe even specifically VW USA). We are not their clients even though they are contracted by VW to offer technical support to end users.
This forum is part of myelectriccarforums.com which is in turn a Pacific New Media website which turns out to be Mike Szostech & Debbie VanHoek. In other words it's about as far from an officially sanctioned user group as you can get. There's no reason to think VW or Verizon will spend time searching out a forum like this and acting on it. I've been a member of other owner's forums where there is an official presence from the manufacturer and even then it's highly unlikely that issues raised in the forum get acted upon. The process of bringing anything to market in the car industry is so slow that the best you can really hope for is that suggestions might be incorporated in the next generation of the vehicle.

Sorry, but that's the reality of it. These forums are useful for peer-to-peer help amongst owners, not for communication with the manufacturer.

I understand. But many software and data servicer companies set up official forums, eg snagit, auctiontamer, microsoft, x10. Why wouldn't VW or any car manufacturer want to have forums for each of it's models, but especially for the e-golf since it's such a new technology.

As far as I know. this is the only US e-golf forum. There's one in Germany, and also I believe Norway. Facebook and twitter don't count.

Ron

Is the speed of light really 186,000 miles per second?

cove3 said:
I understand. But many software and data servicer companies set up official forums, eg snagit, auctiontamer, microsoft, x10. Why wouldn't VW or any car manufacturer want to have forums for each of it's models, but especially for the e-golf since it's such a new technology.

There's the difference: car manufacturers are not software or data services companies. Aside from Tesla, their relationship to customers is indirect, through dealerships. I'm sure they'd be happy for any and all of these issues to be reported back to them through the dealership network. There are probably even systems for working out if multiple dealerships are seeing the same problems which would trigger further investigations and maybe recalls. At least that's how it's supposed to work - you only have to look at the GM recalls to know that doesn't actually happen and that dealerships are not out there fighting for the consumer against the big bad auto companies. But then you only have to look at the fights Tesla is having to have against the NADA and many states to know that the dealers are not going to get out of the way without a fight.

GadgetGav said:
A classic example of Betteridge's Law of Headlines with the title of this thread :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

Car-net won't be reading this thread because the software and communications services are done under contract by a division of Verizon. Their client is VW (maybe even specifically VW USA). We are not their clients even though they are contracted by VW to offer technical support to end users.
This forum is part of myelectriccarforums.com which is in turn a Pacific New Media website which turns out to be Mike Szostech & Debbie VanHoek. In other words it's about as far from an officially sanctioned user group as you can get. There's no reason to think VW or Verizon will spend time searching out a forum like this and acting on it. I've been a member of other owner's forums where there is an official presence from the manufacturer and even then it's highly unlikely that issues raised in the forum get acted upon. The process of bringing anything to market in the car industry is so slow that the best you can really hope for is that suggestions might be incorporated in the next generation of the vehicle.

Sorry, but that's the reality of it. These forums are useful for peer-to-peer help amongst owners, not for communication with the manufacturer.

I have to respectfully disagree that no one from VW is reading this forum (no idea about Verizon). You are correct that it is not an official VW managed site, or that issues raised here will initiate immediate action, but I am pretty certain it is read. We spent three months working with various people at VW Corporate to resolve our issues. Based on those conversations I know they are aware of this forum and do read it. Full disclosure, I visit here out of curiosity only, VW bought our car back.

Back