How to remove oily stains on fabric seat cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhumroo

Purchased a used 2016 e-Golf from Carvana, ready for pick-up this week. I noticed in the interior pictures, the front seat covers seem to have what appear to be oily stains on the light gray fabric seat covers.

Has anyone been successful in removing stains from the SE fabric seats? If yes, can you please share tips and the method you used.

I read elsewhere in the forum about using Armorall Upholstery Wipes and pure distilled water for water stains. Will the wipes remove stains that have been set?

Thanks

I also bought a used 2016 SE that came with some seat stains. I used this Scotchgard and it cleaned them right up. (BTW, the forum software adds the tag in that URL, not me.)

I had to use it a few times as the seats seemed to stain very easily. My 2017 doesn't seem nearly as sensitive.

srue said:
I also bought a used 2016 SE that came with some seat stains. I used this Scotchgard and it cleaned them right up. (BTW, the forum software adds the tag in that URL, not me.)

I had to use it a few times as the seats seemed to stain very easily. My 2017 doesn't seem nearly as sensitive.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you just spray it and it disappears, or do you have to scrub it in?

After spraying the stain I lightly scrubbed it with this upholstery brush (which I had forgotten about until you asked), though the brush was probably overkill. I also had a cheap chamois on hand that I blotted it up with, and that worked well. I could have easily just used the chamois to scrub. So it'll depend on the nature of your stain.

srue said:
After spraying the stain I lightly scrubbed it with this upholstery brush (which I had forgotten about until you asked), though the brush was probably overkill. I also had a cheap chamois on hand that I blotted it up with, and that worked well. I could have easily just used the chamois to scrub. So it'll depend on the nature of your stain.

Thanks again for the tips.

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to mention that the stains aren't necessarily oil.

The fabric in my 2016 SE would stain if I merely looked at it funny. Simply dripping water on the seats caused stains that never came out.

My 2019 SE doesn't seem to have the same issue.

cctop said:
I don't have an answer, but I wanted to mention that the stains aren't necessarily oil.

The fabric in my 2016 SE would stain if I merely looked at it funny. Simply dripping water on the seats caused stains that never came out.

My 2019 SE doesn't seem to have the same issue.

Thanks. Yes they could just be water stains.

JoulesThief said:
Buy a SEL with the leatherette interior, and you'll never have that problem.

Good one :D

My 2016 SE should be arriving today. Unfortunately, the photos do show some stains on the cloth seats. I'll be trying some of the suggestions given in this and other forums to try and remove them.

Back