Car-net services unexpectedly down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up my e-Golf last night(!), and was walked through the Car-net setup before I left the lot. It worked for me shortly after I left the dealer's lot last night, and I got the account confirmation email as expected (with my PIN in plaintext- tsk!). However, when I tried to log in to the iOS app today, I was confronted by errors saying 'login: error occurred,' or another about incorrect PIN. I knew I was typing in the very same 4-digit PIN that I used last night, so I called the support number offered by the app earlier today.

The very nice operator/tech on the other end told me that there was nothing wrong on my end, their own servers had problems, and they were working to resolve them. So the service is down.

The folks who develop/manage VW's Car-net operation really seem to have dropped the ball here. They could use the app to notify users that their services are down. Maybe an app badge or push notification could have been used. At the very least, they could have emailed all current Car-net customers to let everyone know that the service is down.

I bought the car knowing the troubles that forum users here have been experiencing with delayed charging, sluggish response times, and other issues. However, I was hopeful that maybe some of these issues have been quietly addressed. This doesn't seem to have been the case, based on my 18 hours of e-Golf ownership and Car-net use so far.

Car-net became responsive again sometime yesterday evening, so the outage seems to have only been a few hours.

Still would have been nice if there was some kind of notification to Can-net users.

Back