Buying a 2016 e-Golf SE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean333

I'm considering buying a used 2016 e-Golf SE - the dealer prices in my area vary from about $11,000 to $13,000 depending upon mileage. I'm new to all electric cars. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about?? For example I've heard about battery degradation - is this an issue for these cars. I'm looking in particular at a car thats got 40,000 miles on it - should I have concerns about the battery??

Thanks for any responses.

A car with 40K miles will have some battery degradation. How much depends on how often it was L3 charged (if equipped), depth of discharge, ambient temperatures where it was driven (since the e-Golf only has passive cooling), etc. Only real way to check the state of health of the battery is through a dealer diagnosis or via an OBD2 dongle such as OBDEleven.

I just bought a 2016 egolf se and its great. Ive been geeking out on charging techniques to minimize battery degradation(not sure if it will help but plan on owning it for a long time hopefully). Any advice on purchasing a 6 year extended warranty for covering the electrical system for 2k? seems reasonable...

What do you expect to fail? I expect the electrical system to be pretty reliable. Also, you might want to check the details of the included warranty to see if what you expect to fail isn't already covered by the included warranty.

i'm following this thread closely as I'm also looking at a '16 SE.
I live in a hilly area near S. VT. What would a comfortable range be with snow tires on a 10 deg. F day. I have a pass at a ski area about 13 miles away. Can I expect no range issues for a round trip there on a 90% charge?
Thanks.

TBS said:
i'm following this thread closely as I'm also looking at a '16 SE.
I live in a hilly area near S. VT. What would a comfortable range be with snow tires on a 10 deg. F day. I have a pass at a ski area about 13 miles away. Can I expect no range issues for a round trip there on a 90% charge?
Thanks.

What is the elevation change over that 13 miles? (Makes a huge difference.) I can't say from experience because we don't have temps that low or a need for snows on the CA coast, but you will take a mileage hit from both the tires and the cold weather. Unless there is a massive grade <30 miles round trip should not be a problem though. Hopefully someone who lives in a colder climate can offer a more accurate estimate.

You will take a very big hit, running the electric heater on that 2016 SE in lost range, on very cold days. I'd recommend either a 2015 or 2016 SEL model, or wait another year and pick up a 2017 model with larger battery capacity.

f1geek said:
What do you expect to fail? I expect the electrical system to be pretty reliable. Also, you might want to check the details of the included warranty to see if what you expect to fail isn't already covered by the included warranty.

The warranty itself really only covers the battery. I am not sure what I expect. I know VW dependability isnt that of a honda or toyota, also with a newer tech like Electrics I imagine all the kinks may not be worked out... A friend of ours bought a ICE VW and had a problem that forced her to sell it after thousands in mis diagnosis issues from multiple mechanics(including a VW dealer mechanic)... My question was more to the point if there has been any trending reoccuring issues with the E-golfs as a whole... all i have seen are backup camera issues...

Back