E-golf 2016: won't start. The car thinks that the charging cable is still connected (I already disconnected it)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very weird issue. The car thinks that it's still charging. The cable icon is showing on the dash board even though I removed the charging cable. Then I keep hearing a repeating clicking Sound from the right /rear side of my car. The clicking continues for a minute. After a couple of minutes the car acknowledges that the charging cable is not there, and then I can turn the car on. Anyone experienced a similar issue?

Bring to dealer. This issue should be covered by warranty.

Does car charge normally when you insert a charging cable?

Ykopeliovich said:
Very weird issue. The car thinks that it's still charging. The cable icon is showing on the dash board even though I removed the charging cable. Then I keep hearing a repeating clicking Sound from the right /rear side of my car. The clicking continues for a minute. After a couple of minutes the car acknowledges that the charging cable is not there, and then I can turn the car on. Anyone experienced a similar issue?

My 2015 just started exhibiting this behavior. I noticed first that I couldn't unplug after unlocking the doors like normal. The light on the charge port is red. Then if I lock and unlock the car again, the light changes, and I can unplug...but then, the car will act like it's still plugged in. I've been able to get it turned on each time, but it's a bit unnerving.

Look at the five J1772 contacts on the car inlet with a flashlight and check for any debris. Do the same for your charging station connector. Remove any debris.

I have had this problem.

There is a safety latch that engages the plug to prevent you from removing while charging. This can fault. There is a youtube video that describes how to replace the part. He also describes that the switch or sensor may be sticking and that you can tap the car body just above the plug port to see if it pops back. This didn't work for me but useful to watch video even if not doing work yourself.

My situation occurs when the car switches from keeping a minimum charge, waiting a certain time, then doing the charge for a prescribed time of day. I have found that for a workaround, until I take to dealer to fix, I no longer use the minimum charge amount, just the delayed charge or immediate charge.

Back