Most efficient LRR tire to replace Ecopia 422

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpulsiv

I'm looking to replace My Ecopia 422 set. One of them is not repairable and the other one is worn down to 4/32 in 30k miles.
Rears seem to be OK at 7/32. I'm uncertain if I'd want to invest in a new set of Ecopia.

I only care about range, thus seeking the most efficient tire.
Based on direct experience, I saw substantial range impact with my conventional set (e.g., Bridgestone Potenza S001). It's 20% less efficient.

Does anyone have direct experience with Michelin Energy Saver? www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-energy-saver-a-s?tyreSize=16#sizes

Sadly, Michelin is only releasing Pilot Sport EV in 20" www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-ev
Last month, they announced e-primacy tire www.michelin.com/en/press-releases/market-launch-of-michelin-e-primacy-the-first-eco-designed-michelin-tire-made-to-last. Unlikely it will be available anytime soon.

Goodyear made a splash with ElectricDrive GT but it's only available in 19"
https://corporate.goodyear.com/us/en/media/news/goodyear-introduces-its-first-electric-vehicle-replacement-tire-in-north-america-the-electricdrive-gt.html

Manufacturers put a lot of effort into specifying tires to get good fuel economy numbers, so I suspect the Ecopias are one of the the best choices for the e-Golf. Maybe Tire Rack has efficiency ratings? Maybe check what other very efficient EVs use: Hyundai Ioniq Electric, Tesla Model 3 SR+, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Hyundai Kona EV, etc.

I just checked Tire Rack and it says Michelin Energy Saver A/S is OEM equipment on the Ioniq electric, so that's probably a good choice.

I have been lurking around Bolt forums. Drivers are not happy with OEM Michelin Energy Saver. I can't imagine that it would be any worse than Ecopia 422, when it comes to grip in foul-weather.

Looks like there's nothing out there better than Ecopia 422 :eek:
I was too optimistic about Michelin Energy Saver.

www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31689
i-tCgHP82-L.jpg

I got factory Ecopia in my '19 when I purchased it in mid 2019. But it turns out at 20K miles, my rears were warn out. And that was with multiple tire rotations. The tire shop person that I trust did say the Ecopia tires are "soft" and they wear out quick. And he recommended a different make Michelin Defender (the one rated for cars and not trucks). It seems in 10K miles or so, these new Michelins are wearing out better.

My car’s original fitment Ecopias are still looking good at 43k miles. I rotate them about once a year or every 10,000 miles or so.

coupedncal1 said:
I got factory Ecopia in my '19 when I purchased it in mid 2019. But it turns out at 20K miles, my rears were warn out. And that was with multiple tire rotations. The tire shop person that I trust did say the Ecopia tires are "soft" and they wear out quick. And he recommended a different make Michelin Defender (the one rated for cars and not trucks). It seems in 10K miles or so, these new Michelins are wearing out better.

Never trust salespeople from tire shops. They'll try to sell you whatever is in stock or whatever they can get faster out the door.
Ecopia is not a "soft" tire. It's an extremely firm tire, built for one goal in mind - low rolling resistance for coasting.

Ultimate all-season tire is Michelin CrossClimate2 www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate2&partnum=055HR6CC2

While the CrossClimate tires from Michelin are excellent tires, you will notice a hit to the efficiency compared to the Ecopias.

miimura said:
While the CrossClimate tires from Michelin are excellent tires, you will notice a hit to the efficiency compared to the Ecopias.

Of course efficiency will be impacted. Ecopia 422 is the king when it comes to effieciency. That's why I started this thread ;)

f1geek said:
My car’s original fitment Ecopias are still looking good at 43k miles. I rotate them about once a year or every 10,000 miles or so.

Mine is completely shot at 40k miles with 3/32 tread.

i-4nm4hcC-X5.jpg

miamor said:
HEY THIS IS A TECHNICAL TOPIC
maybe best to look over there, that's where I looked and commented on my Yokohama choice

Let's see if I can link to it here: https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1285

The link you provided is for general discussion of tires. This thread is specifically for the availability and selection of low resistance tires. Your Yokahama Avid Ascend is not a low resistance tire. VW dealer took advantage of you by selling you a generic tire.

mpulsiv said:
Your Yokahama Avid Ascend is not a low resistance tire.
Ah, I beg to differ. Are you stating fact or opinion?
I can use the facts:
  • the coasting test is the same as it was on ecopia, from 60 to 30 MPH it goes .7mi
  • the universal coding on sidewall lists treadwear 800, cheap crap is around 400
  • a 100 mile trip at 66 MPH had over 20 mi remaining on GOM, and getting about 4mi/kWh

miamor said:
mpulsiv said:
Your Yokahama Avid Ascend is not a low resistance tire.
Ah, I beg to differ. Are you stating fact or opinion?
I can use the facts:
the coasting test is the same as it was on ecopia, from 60 to 30 MPH it goes .7mi[/list]
the universal coding on sidewall lists treadwear 800, cheap crap is around 400[/list]
a 100 mile trip at 66 MPH had over 20 mi remaining on GOM, and getting about 4mi/kWh[/list]

I'm stating facts. Validated with different set of wheels and tires.
Your coasting test doesn't have enough data to draw a conclusion.

Try spending more effort on your methodology.
  • Find a road, at least 10 miles long with some rolling hills.
  • Ensure outdoor temperature doesn't fluctuate more than ~10 degrees.
  • Repeat this exercise 3-4 times and record average kWh consumption.

Based on my data, crappy Ecopia is the gold-standard in rolling resistance.
Standard all-season tire (e.g., Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama): 3.4 kWh
Low resistance Ecopia EP422 plus: 4.2 kWh

mpulsiv said:
Standard all-season tire (e.g., Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama): 3.4 kWh

It's great we are trying to use real world testing. However I wish you would have indicated if climate control was constant every time and what speed? And for the rest of our dear viewers, I think Mpulsiv means mi/kWh with his numbers. But good job in experimenting!

miamor said:
mpulsiv said:

It's great we are trying to use real world testing. However I wish you would have indicated if climate control was constant every time and what speed? And for the rest of our dear viewers, I think Mpulsiv means mi/kWh with his numbers. But good job in experimenting!

Wait, your attempt was to deliver data without real world testing?
Consistency is the key. Find a protocol and stick with it. I thought that I provided enough detail in simple test methodology. Let's add more details to the mix.

• Attempt to do the runs on the same day. It's irrelevant if you are doing this during cold winters or hot summers. As long as the temperature is consistent. Climate control is irrelevant as well. Just ensure that it's consistent.
  • Find a road, at least 10 miles long with some rolling hills.
  • Accelerate and stop as normally would. Do your best to maintain the same speed. Ideally, when roads are clear of traffic. Sunday mornings is the best, while majority of drivers are still sleeping ;) I did my runs throughout the range (e.g., 0 - 50 mph).
  • Ensure outdoor temperature doesn't fluctuate more than ~10 degrees.
  • Repeat this exercise 3-4 times and record average miles/kWh consumption.
    My assumption is that you know how to reset this in settings, for every drive test your attempt. If not, read the owner's manual.

Low-resistance Ecopia can coast a long distance, hence no energy is wasted on the accelerator pedal. Standard all-season tires will slow down in a short distance.
You can perform roll down tests on any hill to see how efficient Ecopia really is.

Pirelli launched P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS elect (OEM tire on Lucid) www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/pzero-as-plus-elect
Sadly, 235/45/18 won't fit our e-Golf.

At this point it's safe to say that tire manufacturers won't focus their resources on small 205/55/16 low resistance tires. We are stuck with Bridgestone Ecopia 422 until e-Golf end-of-life.

Back