Car-Net down?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been able to access it fairly regularly last few days. For me, there's something wrong with interaction between my HTC One and Car-net server. I can access from website and from app using an old Galaxy Nexus I had lying around.

I also had trouble today with the website telling me that I needed to purchase a subscription even though I have several months remaining in my initial trial.

Today: "Your request to flash the lights has failed, please try again later." ; last update yesterday evening. This is after the 93B4 "sudden stop" recall update at the dealer's yesterday, not sure if there is any relationship. I have had the eGolf for five days: is this common (site down, or no connectivity), or should I call them? Is there any way to diagnose where the problem lies?

p.s. oh this is just dandy; I just got "You reached the maximum number of requests, Please try after some time." Well, I would not keep trying if the site would just tell me the remaining range. Why can't it reach the car? We are in a Verizon-rich environment here in northern NJ.

xchopp said:
Today: "Your request to flash the lights has failed, please try again later." ; last update yesterday evening. This is after the 93B4 "sudden stop" recall update at the dealer's yesterday, not sure if there is any relationship. I have had the eGolf for five days: is this common (site down, or no connectivity), or should I call them? Is there any way to diagnose where the problem lies?

p.s. oh this is just dandy; I just got "You reached the maximum number of requests, Please try after some time." Well, I would not keep trying if the site would just tell me the remaining range. Why can't it reach the car? We are in a Verizon-rich environment here in northern NJ.

Open the door to your car, and you'll have the answer in the lower right portion of your dash. Pretty common when you just start up carnet.

Hi Joules, I opened the door and all I can see is "102 miles". Was I looking in the wrong place?

I phoned car-net and was told to press the 'I' car-net button in the car, wait for a while, and try again. Pressing the button did connect a call (cancelled before anyone answered); hopefully the kinks will be worked out and the car will be reporting range etc. via the app shortly.

xchopp said:
I phoned car-net and was told to press the 'I' car-net button in the car, wait for a while, and try again. Pressing the button did connect a call (cancelled before anyone answered); hopefully the kinks will be worked out and the car will be reporting range etc. via the app shortly.

Reconnect,take a pen and paper, they may assign you a new account number, log everything down, and give it a few days for them to expedite and work the bugs out. This is rather common on new accounts with Verizon screwing up, on their end.

I find it's just easier to take a look at the "gas gauge" needle, and make a mental note, every time, when exiting the car, no need to fiddle with wasting time looking up the app, give it a glance on exit, make it a habit. I just don't enjoy relying on crappy, flaky apps for important information, when it's just easier for me to look at the gauges in the dash.

Thanks Joules. If they want my $17.99/mo when the free part expires, they will have to do better than this. It really ought to be reliable.

xchopp said:
Thanks Joules. If they want my $17.99/mo when the free part expires, they will have to do better than this. It really ought to be reliable.

I can relate... car is new, give it a week, push the button again on the Inet, and speak to someone via your infotainment center. They may reset, they may issue you a new account number, it might be something on Verizon's end, just ask them to expedite it. Take notes, log your numbers, passwords and pin numbers and save them somewhere besides on your phone.

Sooner or later, they will get it straightened out, just be persevering.

It looks Car-Net is down today. Date - 09-08-17
The website says that it is down for scheduled maintenance. Hope they are able to get it back up soon.
:shock:

Trying to use Car Net to monitor charging and start air con on my new Golf GTE. Service is intermittent at best, with app freezing and various fault messages re failed connection. Have emailed VW, but they haven't replied. Coming to the conclusion that it is a crap system. Any advice welcomed.

GeoffB said:
Trying to use Car Net to monitor charging and start air con on my new Golf GTE. Service is intermittent at best, with app freezing and various fault messages re failed connection. Have emailed VW, but they haven't replied. Coming to the conclusion that it is a crap system. Any advice welcomed.
are you in a bad Verizon Area? Go to sensorly.com and check it.

forbin404 said:
GeoffB said:
are you in a bad Verizon Area? Go to sensorly.com and check it.
If he has a GTE, he must be in Europe. They use a completely different network back end. I thought I read that VW in-sourced the servers at the last major update. The American network is outsourced to Verizon Telematics, but I believe that VW also took over the app development.

Back