Siemens VC30GRYU Versicharge install question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk2824

I've seen the Siemens charger mentioned around here and I'm looking into it.

It has to be installed outdoors, and I need to get a 240v outdoor outlet installed for it.

My question is: the line cord is very short (11 inches?) and very thick. It comes off the bottom of the unit. An outdoor socket has a cover so the cord must go up through the bottom of the unit. This means that the cord has to make a pretty tight U turn (coming down out of the charger and going UP into the outlet).

Does this work? My outlet would be surface mounted (I suspect) so it will also protrude out from the side of the house. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of wire to allow this.

The installation instructions mention that the line cord should not be removed or replaced.

By the way, the Juicebox has 6 feet of line cord! Too long!

Thanks,
Bob

My Siemens is mounted inside my garage and the plug is hidden behind the unit. There is no cord showing, however the turn it makes to go up is pretty easy, so there is no problem "bending" the cord in that direction.

Since your unit is going to be outside, have you considered getting the Siemens unit that is hardwired? I'd think there would be less chance of water penetration if installed that way.

Siemens has a very good installation manual on their site. You can find it here.

How you install it depends a lot on the wall surface you want to mount it onto. The installation diagrams shown use NEMA 6-50 sockets that are recessed into the wall. If you must use a surface mount electrical box due to the type of wall, you should be able to mount it next to the unit on the right hand side. That should allow the cord to exit the bottom of the unit and loop up to the surface mount box, with cover, from the bottom.

See figure, taken from their installation manual below.

Versicharge_Rear.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I had thought of hardwired, and maybe that is what will happen, but this is a beach house and I'd rather be able to take it down during the winter, which is actually pretty rough.

I did see the install manual but I didn't think about mounting it on the right side. You're right, from the look of that diagram it should work fine.

I was really hoping they would show an "typical" outdoor mount using a socket. You'd think that would be typical, since it has a plug and it can be used outdoors.

Thanks,
Bob

The manual also states that outdoor installation must use the "Universal" version, not the hardwired version. So, you're on the right track. It does make sense to take it down in the winter if you won't be there.

I think this is a good box to use for your situation because the door can be closed with the cable coming out the bottom. You would just put a NEMA 6-50 inside instead of the 14-50 as shown. I believe it can even be locked closed with the cable connected.

18eafc5b-2e0c-4be0-acb4-f83a83187916_400.jpg

My Siemens is mounted outdoors. No problem with the bend of the line. I have a box very similar to the one that miimura posted. I recall looking into getting the hard wired one, and that one was only indoor rated, so I went with one with a plug.

Okay, thanks. My next problem is getting an electrician to give me the time of day. I've given up on the guy I usually use and I'm about to give up on the next guy.

Thanks,
Bob

One more question: since this is going to be hanging on the side of a house and plugged. In other words, easily stolen. Is there any provision for locking the unit to the mounting bracket?

bobk2824 said:
One more question: since this is going to be hanging on the side of a house and plugged. In other words, easily stolen. Is there any provision for locking the unit to the mounting bracket?
The only thing I can think of is to use security screws to mount it. Maybe plant a tall thin bush so the unit can't be seen from the street?

In looking through the manual and sitting through the video on Siemens web site, it looks like the top tab in the mounting bracket has a hole in it. If the corresponding tab in the charger has a corresponding hole it seems like a small padlock can go through there to effectively lock it.

I installed my Siemens outdoors, hardwired. It's the Universal unit. I had seriously considered using the plug and installing it 'removable' but then I plan to use it year round and don't need to take it in. It's a very impressive and well sealed unit. I think it would winter well. However, I see no harm in installing it plug/corded and just mounting/unmounting it seasonally. The mounts on this are screw-in. So, you likely do a masonry, post, or siding/stud mount. I did masonry. I have 1.5" masonry screws (top and bottom) in so tight, I don't think I could get them out without a fight. One could use sleeved anchors, and those would be relatively removable for many applications. I honestly believe that if you are in an area where you are concerned about someone taking this in the off-season, then just use the plug/outlet and mount/un-mount it with sleeved anchors. Seems strange to me, looking at my unit, to try and 'lock' it as the anchors are stabilizing and integral to the design.

Overall, this is a great unit. Good 'outdoor' quality to the housing. We have had some major storms since I installed it, and I opened up to see if moisture accumulated or damaged it at all, but no signs. The charge rate is as advertised. Also, one neat (probably not purposeful) feature is that the eGolf can't 'lock' it in place, as the clip on the charger is mostly plastic and therefore not engaged by the eGolf's magnet lock that messes up public charging. You can just walk out to it anytime and unplug it and switch to a different car or hang it up...no need to keep pressing unlock on a key fob. [edit] Note, clearly the magnetic clip idea is bunk...it's a physical blocking mechanism...not sure why the Siemens (at least mine) allows to pull this out w/o unlocking...could be a 'happy' defect. [/edit]

Cheers,
Tim

Interesting. I have the Siemens unit and have to unlock the car (sometimes twice) to be able to remove the charger.

Frank3 said:
Interesting. I have the Siemens unit and have to unlock the car (sometimes twice) to be able to remove the charger.

The attached photos show my Siemens charger docked in the VW. There are also shots with the pin 'out' just after removing the charger and then as it retracted. The photo of the charger shows the metal 'band' in the clip with the plastic body. See below for my edited note about this...could be a red herring on my part regarding the metal band...

IMG_0604_zpsws4ze8up.jpg

IMG_0605_zpsvltlro5b.jpg

IMG_0606_zpst4thxa1d.jpg

IMG_0607_zpslankko0z.jpg

[edit...]
I watched closely to the action of the pin on a Charge Point station this weekend and it is clear that there is no magnetic action, as I first presumed. It is simply a blocking pin that, for most chargers, prevents the clip from being released by limiting the range of motion. Hence, any workarounds will likely need to involve physically altering/restraining the pin. Not sure how to do that nor totally inclined to do so. As for the Siemens and why the pin in my eGolf is not restricting me from removing my charge plug for the Siemens, well that could be a 'happy' defect in my version or another part of the design I hadn't examined closely. [/edit]

Cheers,
Tim

It's so useful information.
Thanks for posting the interesting posts.
I am new member here.

I got my charger installed. I decided to just have it hang there and when I leave, unplug it and bring it inside. I'm not putting a screw in the top of the mounting bracket to make that easy.

Works great! Faster than the level 2 at the VW dealer (6.6 kW vs 7.2, I guess).

By the way, I don't need to unlock the car to remove the charger from the car.

Thanks for all the help.

I'm shopping for an EVSE right now too and this one caught my eye. Any other words on the unit? Does the built in delay on the unit work well? And is it compatible with car-net's charging delay? Lastly, does it have any indication on the unit that clearly shows you're charging? Thanks!

bobk2824: I've had one for a few months now. No charging delayed issues conflicting with the car-net program. In fact, no issues at all. There is a "glow-ring" around at the top of the charger that glows green on-and-off while charging.

Just had mine installed. The huge glowing ring is a real plus, I think. The lack of clear charging cues on the e-Golf is a little annoying. The green halo is reassuring

However, I can confirm that the charger's built in delay does not work. In my experiments, the e-Golf seems to "go to sleep" and does not recognize that the charger has switched on. Guessing the computers shut down or hibernate to conserve power. Haven't tested the car-net scheduling because I kinda hate the app. Was really hoping to just push the button the charger after I got home for the day rather than having to sort through the app.

I just had a Siemens VC30GRYU hardwired "outside" and it seems to work great. It charges very fast. I, too, cannot get to start on the delay timer, I am not sure if the car "sleeps" or if there is a conflict between the CarNet System and the Siemens system. I am going to try the CarNet reverse delay system tonight and see what I get.
I just spoke with Siemens today and they are not sure why the delay timer does not work, but some communication issue between the VW and Versicharge. My CarNet does work for starting late and being ready to go at 5:00am

Back