Delayed Charging workaround

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWVic

Hello to all-

I just purchased a 2015 e-Golf a few weeks ago and love it but have been suffering with the delayed charging issues. After disconnecting the battery, some of the Car-Net functions began to work but I had no luck with the delayed charging...

I was staying up till after 11:00 PM every night to manually start charging in order to get better PG&E (CA) rates. After really getting tired of this, and messing around with Car-Net delayed charging, I designed and built (I'm an Electrical Engineer) a 240 VAC relay timer switch for my Clipper Creek L2 charger. I have a model LCS-20 L2 CHARGER that I connect to a dryer outlet.

The timer relay uses a standard mechanical 120 VAC timer that one would use to turn on/off lamps while on vacation. I purchased an industrial 240 VAC relay rated at the proper current (greater than 15 A for me) and it uses a 120 VAC coil to work with a standard lamp timer. I just plug my car in when I get home and the timer turns on the relay at 11:30 PM to apply 240 VAC to my CC charger. The charger then powers up and charges the e-Golf. I actually got a good night sleep not wondering if my car will be charged in the morning...

I spent less than $100 for parts for mine. If this could help you, I'd be happy to provide you with my design info. I'm also willing to design and/or build one for you if you provide me your information. Please let me know if you are interested. I hope this might help out somebody else...

Vic
Los Olivos, CA
2015 VW e-Golf (my commuter car)
2006 VW Passat (wife)
2002 VW Jetta TDI (son in college)
2000 VW Jetta GLS (daughter in high school)
2002 VW Jetta TDI (old commuter car, give to youngest son)

Back