Car-Net Android App not compatible with device

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nesan

Hi,

New owner here. Just picked up our e-Golf SEL in white.

I installed the Car-net app on my Samsung Galaxy S3 without any problems. However, when I went to install the app on my 2013 (2nd gen) Google Nexus 7, the play store says "Your device is not compatible with this version".

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know why its not compatible? Is it because its running Android 5.1.1 (and the app doesn't support the latest Android version yet) or is it because the Nexus 7 is a tablet or because it only has wifi (i.e. no cell).

Thanks
Nesan

I just got off the phone with Car-Net. They transferred me to a technical support representative who told me that the Car-Net app is not compatible with tablets etc this time. I asked if it was specifically tablets or the fact that my Nexus 7 (WiFi) has no cell capability. She said it was the fact that it was a tablet. She had no explanation as to why tablets are not supported. I asked her to register my interest in having tablets supported and she said she would do this (but I am not holding my breath).

I'd be interested to know if anyone can install the Car-Net app on a tablet that has cell capability - e.g. iPad or other Android tablet with cell service.

Thanks
Nesan

My guess is it's partly due to fragmentation in the Android market...
http://opensignal.com/reports/2015/08/android-fragmentation/

Car-Net are not going to be able / willing to test all combinations and I expect by cutting off tablets, that simplifies their test case set greatly.

Back