LA times reviews the 2016 e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20151126_133933_zpslpohtmgm.jpg

Someone needs how to learn to drive for economy instead of for sportiness.

What do those numbers mean? 6.0/kwh ??? does that mean you were driving and the average is 6 miles per kw?? why would it not just let you know how much you used?? the 114 mi what is that?? 2:58h again ?? 30 mph again ??

thanks for any info

Leo said:
What do those numbers mean? 6.0/kwh ??? does that mean you were driving and the average is 6 miles per kw?? why would it not just let you know how much you used?? the 114 mi what is that?? 2:58h again ?? 30 mph again ??

thanks for any info

It's self explanatory, Leo, like any gauge.

Wow, getting above 5 miles per KW is tough enough. 6 is amazing.

Would be interested to hear about the driving profile. Were you in Eco+ the whole time? Was heat/ac on? Were there hills?

johnnylingo said:

Would be interested to hear about the driving profile. Were you in Eco+ the whole time? Was heat/ac on? Were there hills?

Screenshot%202015-11-30%20at%203.00.51%20PM_zpsjkvitk90.png

Leo said:
That screen indicates that since the last time the car was charged, he drove 114 miles in 2:58 for an average speed of 39mph. His average energy usage was 6 miles for every kwh. I don't know why it doesn't tell you total energy usage although you can figure it it out yourself: 114/6.0 = 19kWh total (subject to any measurement inaccuracies).

11 miles left suggests 21kwh of the battery are available. Does that align with what others have seen?

mfennell said:
Leo said:
That screen indicates that since the last time the car was charged, he drove 114 miles in 2:58 for an average speed of 39mph. His average energy usage was 6 miles for every kwh. I don't know why it doesn't tell you total energy usage although you can figure it it out yourself: 114/6.0 = 19kWh total (subject to any measurement inaccuracies).

11 miles left suggests 21kwh of the battery are available. Does that align with what others have seen?

20151126_133928_zpsid7kvq8j.jpg

20151126_134318_zpsrhuq7gmd.jpg

20151126_141352_zpsdaqidvep.jpg

92-9 = 83% 18.15kw/ .83 = about 22 kw usable. Margin of safety on top and bottom of battery charges for longevity of life of a 24 kw battery.

Thanks mfennell for the explanation. All I need to know is how much energy i use on certain trip. Would be nice if it did that. On my ford when i turn it off it would tell me i used so many kw, then i can change things like cabin temperature setting ect to see what kind of changes i would get in the usage.

Leo said:
Thanks mfennell for the explanation. All I need to know is how much energy i use on certain trip. Would be nice if it did that. On my ford when i turn it off it would tell me i used so many kw, then i can change things like cabin temperature setting ect to see what kind of changes i would get in the usage.

Why do you need to know how much energy you use on a certain trip? It will vary with all the variables along the way.... How hot or cold it is, how much heat or AC you use, how fast or slow you drive, head wind or tail wind, how many red lights or green lights you hit, etc.

Try reading your owners manual and using the "Trip" meter instead of the "Since last fillup" feature, and you'll have your answer.

JoulesThief said:
Leo said:

Why do you need to know how much energy you use on a certain trip? It will vary with all the variables along the way.... How hot or cold it is, how much heat or AC you use, how fast or slow you drive, head wind or tail wind, how many red lights or green lights you hit, etc.

Try reading your owners manual and using the "Trip" meter instead of the "Since last fillup" feature, and you'll have your answer.

@ joules,

Not sure if you are really asking why or just trying to say I don’t need to know. For the information about all the things that will make it vary, yes I know, common sense or as you put it earlier self-explanatory even. Also thanks for the advice on reading my owner’s manual I’m sure most of the questions that people ask on this forum can be found there. I will try using the “trip” meter like you recommend and thanks for that info, honestly that’s the reply I was looking for, again thanks for that bit of info. Not sure if you are trying to come off as a jerk in your replies or if it’s just me in the way I’m reading them, if you’re not I’m sorry for mentioning it, if you are just ignore my posts maybe someone else will give me the info.

Thanks Leo

Leo said:
JoulesThief said:
Leo said:

@ joules,

Not sure if you are really asking why or just trying to say I don’t need to know. For the information about all the things that will make it vary, yes I know, common sense or as you put it earlier self-explanatory even. Also thanks for the advice on reading my owner’s manual I’m sure most of the questions that people ask on this forum can be found there. I will try using the “trip” meter like you recommend and thanks for that info, honestly that’s the reply I was looking for, again thanks for that bit of info. Not sure if you are trying to come off as a jerk in your replies or if it’s just me in the way I’m reading them, if you’re not I’m sorry for mentioning it, if you are just ignore my posts maybe someone else will give me the info.

Thanks Leo

You can calculate how much energy you use per trip. The information is all there in the infotainment center. Take miles per trip, and divide it by miles per kwh. You then have kwh per trip.

Not trying to be a jerk, but trying to teach... consider it doing your homework... and the teacher not giving you the answer, it's up to you to try to figure out the answer yourself... throw you a fish, daily, or teach you how to fish yourself, so you can feed yourself the rest of your life. Make sense now?

20151126_133948_zpsivlstybs.jpg

How much energy did I use this trip... ie, since I started driving?

JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:

Looks like you were able to leverage 1000 foot elevation drop?

Brian

BrianMoffet said:
JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:

Looks like you were able to leverage 1000 foot elevation drop?

Brian

I think you're probably correct? Not sure what the elev is at Kohls, I think it's around 300 or 400 feet above sea level at L.A. Zoo.

Back