Cleaning spots on the fabric upholstery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2016 silver eGolf and could hardly be happier with it. The car is great. However, there is one annoyance I'm hoping some of you have solved.

First, let me say that I'm not a slob. My cars are clean inside and out. After reading the rest of this post, you'll probably be thinking of the movie "Supersize Me" and imagine me driving around with a Big Mac in one hand and fries in the other. Not the case.

I no longer eat anything in the eGolf because the fabric seats stain so easily and I can't find any way to clean them effectively. I've tried a hand-held Bissell steam cleaner, Resolve, and also plain old water.

What kinds of stains am I seeing? Let's say you were eating a muffin and a tiny crumb fell on the seat. That crumb leaves an oily spot -- fair enough. In any other car I've owned I could remove that spot with the methods mentioned above, but not in this eGolf. (The leather seats are probably easier to keep clean.)

So, any tips? For the past month or so I haven't been eating in the car, so my two small stains haven't turned into an army of oily spots.

Thanks.

I think you'll need to scotch guard the seats or some similar treatment. My past seats were leather and leatherette with the exception being my 98 TDI beetle with black cloth seats. Those don't seem to stain as easily now days, but there are old stains on it that I can't seem to get out. These seats do seem to be less stain resistant than I expected to be.

Im debating scotch guard myself...Im really not a fan of the fabric on these e-Golfs.

Had cloth in my wifes Beetle in 2003 and that was no problem. This one seems to show any water droplet a bit too much for my liking. Lucky no stains yet...but I am seeing little spots of where water marks had touched the seat. Grrr.

One day, I may just get the interior redone to some Leatherette from an interior shop...

Same here, 2016 eGolf and couldn't be happier. Despite being incredibly conscientious about keeping my car clean, I already have two oily spots that I can do nothing about.

Quezno said:
Same here, 2016 eGolf and couldn't be happier. Despite being incredibly conscientious about keeping my car clean, I already have two oily spots that I can do nothing about.

VW has offered leatherette faux leather for years, that stays clean for much longer, and cleans up easily. Usually available in trim models in VW's priced at or under 30k MSRP, like Passat, Jetta, Beetle and Golf.

Probably doesn't matter much if you lease it.

JoulesThief said:
Quezno said:

VW has offered leatherette faux leather for years, that stays clean for much longer, and cleans up easily. Usually available in trim models in VW's priced at or under 30k MSRP, like Passat, Jetta, Beetle and Golf.

Probably doesn't matter much if you lease it.

I just had a 2013 Tiguan SE (GREAT car) with the faux leather seating. You're correct, it was very easy to maintain. I actually enjoy the look and feel of the cloth seats. Now just to find a good way to clean them, before trying Scotch Gard.

Hey Bingtamers, what did you do with your upholstery?
My 2016 eGolf has the same issue. Even plain water will leave a stain.

same here, water leak from water bottles leaves a stain on the fabric.
Would love to know how to clean or get rid of that before doing scotchguard.

I solved the water stain situation.

I filled a spray bottle with DISTILLED, very important DISTILLED water, and sprayed the seat.
Like magic the water stains disappeared. :?:

I was getting some spots too and it was driving me INSANE after paying $32,000 for a brand new car. I was actually getting really sad about it. Whoever decided on this cloth color is a TRUE MORON and this is the greatest design flaw in the car IMO. Should just be all black.

I found the cure, though - just today!! BLUE CORAL works AMAZINGLY and is literally the cheapest one. I noticed there is just one trick - you have to get the ENTIRE grey area of the seat wet with the stuff or else you will have water spots were it was if you only clean a small area. So, get the stains nice and wet and scrub them wit the top of the can, then after get the whole grey wet with the cleaner and rub it in wit a rag until it looks all even. Then it will dry even. But it takes ALL STAINS out immediately, including those weird little dark spots. Then scotchgard that shit to avoid this stupid problem.

Back