2017 e-Golf may have 30% battery increase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miimura

Automobile Magazine ran a story recently that claimed the 2017 e-Golf would receive a 30% improvement in battery capacity in the same package by using 37Ah cells, up from 28Ah per cell. This would lead to a pack that has a gross capacity of 31-32kWh. That should be about 28.5kWh usable. Applying the 30% increase to the 84 mile EPA range gives 109 miles. This is much sooner than I expected and I consider it an unconfirmed rumor at this point.

Story at Automobile Magazine

The story is spreading around today. InsideEVs and Autoblog have run similar stories. No confirmation on time frame though, so it may not be for the 2017 model year. However, if it's not, then the guy from VW is clearly speaking about it way too early.

I would surely welcome that added 30% range... it would make driving up to the Owens Valley and Mammoth Lakes a bit less tedious at charging stations. I hope the new battery comes with a 10.5 kwh charger on board also, along with the SAE CCS combo, in the SEL model. Let the SE boys keep the 24.2 kw entry level battery pack for the price point break and for the folks that want to lease, just like Nissan has done with the 2016 Leaf, it too has a 30 kw battery pack in the premium lined model.

While promising,VW better come out with 200 mile range soon to compete with the Bolt or the eGolf will be nothing more than a footnote.

bizzle said:
While promising,VW better come out with 200 mile range soon to compete with the Bolt or the eGolf will be nothing more than a footnote.

Damn straight! 30 months with this golf, and I'll probably be in the market for the next big range increase.

I don't quite buy the Bolt making all current non-Tesla EVs obsolete. The Bolt's price will be in in the high 30s, maybe even low 40s. For a basic commuter car, an e-Golf SE still is a good option.

There's also been some grumbling about the Bolt's appearance. It's like a slightly sleeker Ford C-Max, which IMO is an ugly, awkward looking car.

Sticker is $37,500.

Point being the Bolt is the first out the gate. Tesla will be releasing a 200m range EV around that time. Nissan won't be far behind. If VW comes to market late again in the extended range offerings, they'll be competing against all of those established brands and Toyota will probably be launching a pure EV by 2025, too.

bizzle said:
Sticker is $37,500.

Point being the Bolt is the first out the gate. Tesla will be releasing a 200m range EV around that time. Nissan won't be far behind. If VW comes to market late again in the extended range offerings, they'll be competing against all of those established brands and Toyota will probably be launching a pure EV by 2025, too.
2025? :lol:

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
Sticker is $37,500.

It will take that long for Toyota to give up on hydrogen fuel cells.

The 200 mile cars are based on all EV platforms. The MQB platform is still overwhelmingly ICE biased even if it had EV uses in mind. I doubt we will see a 200 mile golf until the next major platform change.

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
Sticker is $37,500.

Not everyone here is 80 years old :D

Deep in this story is a quote that VW intends to release 20 EV and hybrids by 2020. That's a significant push into electric.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/01/10/volkswagen-detroit-auto-show-naias-matthias-mueller-emissions-scandal/78603744/

The news releases left me wondering whether, once the new battery packs are available, I could get VW to upgrade my current car under warranty. It might be VEDDY convenient to experience diminished power from the battery just before the lease expires, then replace the batteries and buy the car for $10K or so.

A man can dream.

Golfcart said:
The news releases left me wondering whether, once the new battery packs are available, I could get VW to upgrade my current car under warranty. It might be VEDDY convenient to experience diminished power from the battery just before the lease expires, then replace the batteries and buy the car for $10K or so.

A man can dream.
Doubtful as they would have to replace the charging system and that's probably a bit more than they would want to spend under warranty.

VW might do it differently, but all other warranty claims have always been like for like, even if I wanted to pay extra.

Looks like it is happening

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/09/volkswagen-e-golf-30-percent-range-increase-new-batteries/

Glad I leased and not buy.

Every media story on this subject is based on one or two sentences from a VW guy at CES who didn't even say when it would happen. I'm still not sure it will happen for 2017 model year. If it's not, then the guy is stupid for saying something because it will be a big drag on their sales until it does happen. Leaf sales tanked after the 30kWh rumors were accepted to be true for the 2016 model year.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the 1st generation leased cars when the leases expire in two years. There might either be some deep discounting or, if it's as easy to swap the battery packs out as they say it is, maybe some battery upgrades to sweeten the purchase. Otherwise VW ends up with thousands of relatively new cars in pretty good shape that nobody wants to buy.

I'd be happy to pay $10K for my car at the end of its lease -- but only if the battery is upgraded. Otherwise I'll just lease a new one with the longer range.

miimura said:
Every media story on this subject is based on one or two sentences from a VW guy at CES who didn't even say when it would happen. I'm still not sure it will happen for 2017 model year. If it's not, then the guy is stupid for saying something because it will be a big drag on their sales until it does happen. Leaf sales tanked after the 30kWh rumors were accepted to be true for the 2016 model year.

Or I have 8 years and 100,000 miles to beat this battery to submission and get it covered under warranty. No telling if more improvements will be made in the same footprint for higher energy density battery packs, with still more to come?

In the mean time, the guy does have a significant title, that's being quoted.

Volkswagen will give the e-Golf nearly 30 percent more range thanks to an upcoming improvement from the German automaker's batteries. Volkmar Tanneberger, the company's head of electronic development, says the battery cells in the e-Golf will grow to 37 amp hours from 28 amp hours currently, and this jump allows for the improvement without any physical changes to the battery design.

miimura said:
If it's not, then the guy is stupid for saying something because it will be a big drag on their sales until it does happen.

That was my immediate thought too. I was literally getting ready to set up an appointment to make an offer on a 2016 SEL until I saw that article. Between this and the entertainment system and parking upgrades, I'm now leaning towards waiting for the 2017 models.

Back