Just Leased my Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkies

Hello!!!

I just leased my 2016 eGolf SE yesterday.... I have some general questions and hope someone can help :)

1. The interior lights seem to always be on. Pushing the buttons in or out does not seem to make a difference, any ideas?
2. It looks like the battery is constantly charging, even if it reaches 100%? I unplugged the car charger and it showed 97 miles as the range. Is that strange?
3. Anyone want to share their "added" electricity cost? I plan to drive the car about 300 miles a week and charge up only at night.

Thanks!
Sherry

Read your owners manual, ASAP, while sitting in your car, to familiarize yourself with operating the features on it, so you learn how to operate your new to you electric car.

1. Not sure about that - I agree with JT to check the manual on light button position. Is it possible one of the doors or the hatch is not fully closed? Also, maybe they turn off after a few minutes? I don't have this problem with my car but I have a 2015 SEL

2. The car charger is in the car. The charger is the AC to DC converter that is built into the car. In your case, I believe the on board charger is 3.6 kW. The charging station or EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) is a safety device that delivers AC electricity to your car. I doubt the battery is constantly charging if there is no draw, but considering your comment about the light being on, maybe something else is on and so the car continues to draw electricity. Under normal conditions, the current draw will cease once the battery is fully charged. The range indication is the computer estimate of how far you can drive based on your previous driving style. If you floor the pedal and drive at high speed on the highway, your range will always be lower than if you drive gently and slowly on local streets. This logic is identical for a gas powered car but you don't notice it as much because the gas tank has 250+ miles of range afforded by the liquid hydrocarbons that type of car burns.

3. I drive gingerly, mostly locally and usually average around 5 miles/kWh efficiency. If you are driving 300 miles a week, I bet a lot is going to be highway miles so your efficiency will probably be closer to 3.5 miles/kWh. I put about 160 miles a week on my car (about 650 miles a month) and pay around 13 center per kWh. Do the math: 650/5=130 kWh per month for me and 130 x $0.13= $17.00 a month. You will be spending significantly more money than that, but it depends on your kWh cost.

Good luck.

monkies said:
Hello!!!

I just leased my 2016 eGolf SE yesterday.... I have some general questions and hope someone can help :)

1. The interior lights seem to always be on. Pushing the buttons in or out does not seem to make a difference, any ideas?
2. It looks like the battery is constantly charging, even if it reaches 100%? I unplugged the car charger and it showed 97 miles as the range. Is that strange?
3. Anyone want to share their "added" electricity cost? I plan to drive the car about 300 miles a week and charge up only at night.

Thanks!
Sherry
1) Interior lights should go off, when you lock the car. or slowly if you don't
2) When you hit 100% the light on the 'charge port' should stop. Check your CarNet App as well to see.
3) You can't show added electricity as each person drives differently. However are you on the Best Power Plan (SCE has a plan for e-cars) and for example I pay 11c per KWH which translates to about 82c per gallon. (assuming 30mpg ICE car)

Back