Driver assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC92676

New to the forum, hope to be as much of a contributor as a person who has questions :). But seeing as I haven't yet bought my egolf, only time will tell. I've been looking at them and would like to purchase, but the question comes down to Driver Assistance package. My wife and I have it on our Fusion and really like it. Looking to order, however, the dealer is saying that the driver assistance package doesn't really work well with the electric drive platform and is recommending against it. While I understand that it may not work perfectly in terms of adaptive cruise because of regeneration, I think the other offered functions make it still worth it.
I have searched the forums and the web and don't find a lot of first hand experience regarding the package on the egolf which leads me to believe that either there are not a lot in the states as of yet. After all, if there were a lot here and people didn't like it, they would talk about it.
Does anyone have any experience with this option first hand?
Thanks!

They haven't arrived on US shores yet for 2016 models, with this option. So at this point, it's an unknown. You could of course order one and be a guinea pig /beta tester for us and report back your findings, when and if they ever get here.

Maybe. I'm using a broker and the dealer is telling him the Driver Assistance doesn't work well with electric. Sounds to me like he wants to sell the car he has, otherwise how would he know? Besides, as far as I can tell, there is no adaptive cruise, so I don't see how it would matter. It does have the collision avoidance, so if the electric motor stays engaged then the plugging will only help the car slowing. If I didn't see it coming I'll take whatever the car can do to mitigate. I'm checking to see when they think they will be able to deliver one with the option and I'll update when I have that information in case anyone else is curious.

OC92676 said:
Maybe. I'm using a broker and the dealer is telling him the Driver Assistance doesn't work well with electric. Sounds to me like he wants to sell the car he has, otherwise how would he know? Besides, as far as I can tell, there is no adaptive cruise, so I don't see how it would matter. It does have the collision avoidance, so if the electric motor stays engaged then the plugging will only help the car slowing. If I didn't see it coming I'll take whatever the car can do to mitigate. I'm checking to see when they think they will be able to deliver one with the option and I'll update when I have that information in case anyone else is curious.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather hold out for a 2017 model with a 35.8 kwh battery? Just a consideration to think about.

I would forgo the broker, and just see the dealership yourself. Too much to get lost in translation. Both dealerships and brokers want to earn your money doing the least amount of work possible. That's a fact. You will have to work hard yourself, to get exactly what features you want in an e-Golf, there are NOT a lot of them for sale, for a good price. Ton's of entry level SE e-Golfs with limited nice features, what you are talking about is going to come in either a car that is loaded from the factory, or you order it. Being it's the end of May, I don't believe VW is taking any more orders at the factory for 2016 e-Golfs. You may have missed the deadline to order. for a 2016, or it's very very close.

I just received a US e-golf SEL with the DA assistance package. I just picked it up but I don't think it has Adaptive CC. From what I read the DA package has self parking (parallel and perpendicular, auto emergency braking and collision alert.

My car was ordered in early March and arrived a couple days ago.

preilly44 said:
I just received a US e-golf SEL with the DA assistance package. I just picked it up but I don't think it has Adaptive CC. From what I read the DA package has self parking (parallel and perpendicular, auto emergency braking and collision alert.

My car was ordered in early March and arrived a couple days ago.
Would you mind posting the relevant portion of your window sticker? I'm interested to see what it says.

OC92676 said:
Looking to order, however, the dealer is saying that the driver assistance package doesn't really work well with the electric drive platform and is recommending against it. While I understand that it may not work perfectly in terms of adaptive cruise because of regeneration, I think the other offered functions make it still worth it.
Hi -

My take is that what the dealer is saying sounds a little fishy. I admit that I'm not an expert on Adaptive Cruise Control, but I can't see why electric drive would have any effect on how ACC functions. On regular cruise control on my '15 SEL, the car *does* go into regeneration to maintain the set speed when descending a steep hill (which I think is pretty cool). BTW it does this regardless of which "D" or "B" mode you're in, even if you're in "D-zero" (no off-throttle regeneration).

However if Adaptive CC isn't part of the DA package then I guess that doesn't matter. ;)

dublectric said:
My take is that what the dealer is saying sounds a little fishy.
However if Adaptive CC isn't part of the DA package then I guess that doesn't matter. ;)

Dublectric,
Thanks for your input. What you are describing in cruise is not significantly different that what adaptive cruise would do. The only gap to that would be the automated braking, which is offered as part of the DA package.
Yes, to me it sounded a lot like, "Please buy the car sitting on my lot". I'm waiting to see what the release is on the 2017 models and if a 2016 can still be ordered. If nothing else, it sounds like I might be able to work a deal on the car he has. The other issue is that they are offering 38% residual on a 3 yr, 12K lease, which seems a little low to me. I guess time will tell.

OC92676 said:
dublectric said:
My take is that what the dealer is saying sounds a little fishy.

Dublectric,
Thanks for your input. What you are describing in cruise is not significantly different that what adaptive cruise would do. The only gap to that would be the automated braking, which is offered as part of the DA package.
Yes, to me it sounded a lot like, "Please buy the car sitting on my lot". I'm waiting to see what the release is on the 2017 models and if a 2016 can still be ordered. If nothing else, it sounds like I might be able to work a deal on the car he has. The other issue is that they are offering 38% residual on a 3 yr, 12K lease, which seems a little low to me. I guess time will tell.

I am betting you could pick up this 2015 SEL for around $25,000 before tax credit and rebate, which would take another $7500 off of your federal taxes and another $2500 CA state rebate. That's about $15000, your cost, to own it.

http://www.coachellavalleyvolkswagen.com/new/Volkswagen/2015-Volkswagen-e-Golf-c37b5c8b0a0e0ae7440ab0e9b435490c.htm

Hi everyone! New to the forum, I just picked up a silver 2016 SEL with driver-assist. It was the only one I could find anywhere, and it LITERALLY pulled in off the truck during my phone call to the Pasadena dealership with 5 miles on it. I'm getting the keys tomorrow afternoon and can't wait to be an e-Golf owner! Excited to use the adaptive cruise control and park-assist. My wife's car has these features and they're incredible.

Ryan

brs456 said:
Hi everyone! New to the forum, I just picked up a silver 2016 SEL with driver-assist. It was the only one I could find anywhere, and it LITERALLY pulled in off the truck during my phone call to the Pasadena dealership with 5 miles on it. I'm getting the keys tomorrow afternoon and can't wait to be an e-Golf owner! Excited to use the adaptive cruise control and park-assist. My wife's car has these features and they're incredible.

Ryan

Please provide pricing in the "what did you pay " thread on your new e-Golf.

Congratulations, did you lease, or buy?

Does your SEL with DA have adaptive cruise control? I still haven't read the manual for mine but I don't think it has Adaptive Cruise Control. I'd be really happy if it did though! Let me know when you get it.

preilly44 said:
Does your SEL with DA have adaptive cruise control? I still haven't read the manual for mine but I don't think it has Adaptive Cruise Control. I'd be really happy if it did though! Let me know when you get it.

His does not have adaptive cruise control. It does have collision avoidance "auto braking" though. Do a search on the OP and the threads he's posted in for more clarification.

preilly44 said:
Here's the $395 option straight from the VW configurator:

$395 MSRP
Driver Assistance

This package offers driver confidence in the form of features like Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist) and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist) to help put you more comfortably and confidently in the driver’s seat.

Verkehr said:
preilly44 said:

$395 MSRP
Driver Assistance

This package offers driver confidence in the form of features like Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist) and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist) to help put you more comfortably and confidently in the driver’s seat.
I would not pay $395 for that, but I would pay $795-$995 if they added Adaptive Cruise Control with stop and go. If the ACC cuts out below 25mph I would only pay about $595.

miimura said:
Verkehr said:
preilly44 said:

$395 MSRP
Driver Assistance

I would not pay $395 for that, but I would pay $795-$995 if they added Adaptive Cruise Control with stop and go. If the ACC cuts out below 25mph I would only pay about $595.
I look forward to Auto Emergency Braking being standard on all cars by 2022 (Consumer Reports link). It will drive down the cost of that adaptive cruise control option and most importantly help protect vulnerable road users.

Even if the parts cost $395, which they likely don't, I suspect the insurance and societal savings of an effective frontal crash avoidance system are similar or even greater.

My insurance dropped $80 every 6 months when I went from my 2015 > 2016 with AEB. I thought it would have gone up for getting a new car.

Verkehr said:
Driver Assistance

Sounds like the car is doing the driving and is moving you to the passenger seat.

2doors said:
Verkehr said:
Driver Assistance

Sounds like the car is doing the driving and is moving you to the passenger seat.
Welcome to Google...err Skynet

Verkehr said:
preilly44 said:

$395 MSRP
Driver Assistance

Newbie question: can you post a link to the configurator?

Using the normal VW USA web site, I can choose a SEL model, with the package already included. Or I can choose the SE model, which doesn't have the package and doesn't offer the option to add it.

Though I would like adaptive cruise control (and maybe it will be offered on the 2017 models and maybe those will be available by the time I need the car, in January), even the existing set of features is worth $400 to me.

Back