Silver 2016 SEL w/ Driver-Assist -- New to forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brs456

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a silver 2016 SEL with driver-assist. It was the only one I could find anywhere, and it LITERALLY pulled in off the truck during my phone call to the Pasadena dealership with 5 miles on it. Service dept. was closed by the time I got there so they weren't able to inspect the vehicle before letting me take it off the lot. They're bringing the car to my work tomorrow and will be getting the keys in the afternoon. I can't wait to be an e-Golf owner and I'm excited to use the adaptive cruise control and park-assist. My wife's car has these features and they're incredible.

Ryan

Congrats. I think you're the first US eGolf buyer (at least on this forum) to get the Driver Assist option.

Depending on when your car was built, the dealer will need to do a safety recall update on the car's software; it is supposed to fix a mysterious shutting down of the car while driving. This recall was only announced 3 months ago. Being a safety recall, it's mandatory that they apply this update before the dealer can let you drive off with the car. That's my guess as to why they couldn't let you drive off with it last night.

More on that recall: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/28/volkswagen-egolf-recall-battery-software/

That's a proud badge to wear!! I've been calling and visiting dealerships over the past 2 weeks trying to find anybody who had an SEL with Driver Assist in stock. Unfortunately, I won't get the car until Thursday, now. Hopefully I still get to be the first! :D

The dealership showed me that the recall was taken care of and mentioned that they wouldn't be able to sell it to me if it hadn't been taken care of. However, this car is having some other issue. There's a software update that needs to be completed so the power harness will allow the car to charge... so they say? They're ordering a new one from the factory, it'll arrive tomorrow, and I can get it delivered to me on Thursday.

brs456 said:
The greed in me hopes they're secretly giving me something unavailable, yet.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/25/updated-vw-e-golf-124-miles-real-world-range/#slide-3334863

;)

If yours came off the boat in May, it might be an April or a May 2016 model build, end of the 2016 year run builds.

Look at the black label on the "B" pillar at the bottom, where the drivers side door latches. There will be a date of manufacture there, month and year . There should also be white complete build stickers stored inside the trunk.

brs456 said:
There's a software update that needs to be completed so the power harness will allow the car to charge... so they say?

There's a TSB that will fix an issue with the car whereby it won't work on a timed charging schedule on certain EVSE's (Clipper Creek in particular). Immediate charging still works fine. I'm not aware that it needs a whole new part, just a software update like the safety recall.

RonDawg said:
brs456 said:
There's a software update that needs to be completed so the power harness will allow the car to charge... so they say?

There's a TSB that will fix an issue with the car whereby it won't work on a timed charging schedule on certain EVSE's (Clipper Creek in particular). Immediate charging still works fine. I'm not aware that it needs a whole new part, just a software update like the safety recall.

Does anyone have the TSB number for the Clipper Creek timed charging issue is addressed?

I just heard from their tech, it won't be any different in terms of range he says. Date of manufacture is 04/25/2016. He said this has happened with a small percentage of e-Golfs but not enough to do a nationwide recall. But it's essentially a recall; they have a bulletin about it and everything. They just didn't know mine was one of the effected cars until they went to charge it up and deliver it to me when we were initially there. Now that they know it's one of the effected recall cars, they're performing the recall before giving it me.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow evening when it's supposedly getting delivered!

JoulesThief said:
brs456 said:
The greed in me hopes they're secretly giving me something unavailable, yet.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/25/updated-vw-e-golf-124-miles-real-world-range/#slide-3334863

;)

If yours came off the boat in May, it might be an April or a May 2016 model build, end of the 2016 year run builds.

Look at the black label on the "B" pillar at the bottom, where the drivers side door latches. There will be a date of manufacture there, month and year . There should also be white complete build stickers stored inside the trunk.

Hi, what is your exact charging issue? I picked up my 2016 E-Golf SEL with the Drivers Assistance Package on 5/25 (April build date) and I am having charging issues. It won't fully charge when set via timer. It seems to work when I press the button to start charging it. I had a 2015 and it did not have this issue with my EVSE.

Do you have a recall number by any chance? I'm bringing mine in for service today.

preilly44 said:
Hi, what is your exact charging issue? I picked up my 2016 E-Golf SEL with the Drivers Assistance Package on 5/25 (April build date) and I am having charging issues. It won't fully charge when set via timer. It seems to work when I press the button to start charging it. I had a 2015 and it did not have this issue with my EVSE.

Do you have a recall number by any chance? I'm bringing mine in for service today.

I had the charging issue (no delayed charge), ended up Capitol VW in San Jose had to replace the 7.2kW charger under the hood. Plus update the software and replace the 12V battery.

After the recall patch for the power loss while driving, I experienced a power loss, in any communication with the local dealership via email always cc the VWoA Customer CARE team @ [email protected], they really do follow up and get the fire lit under the dealer to actually get the car fixed. Plus they are level 2 support team and cc'ing them will guarantee the escalation if needed.

I'm picking mine up today. They replaced the 7.2k charger (which they said didn't fix it) then a harness. We'll see when I get it later today how things go.

JoulesThief said:
Does anyone have the TSB number for the Clipper Creek timed charging issue is addressed?

I haven't received word yet if there's any official TSB number for the Clipper Creek specific issue. I do know it's baked into the new charging units already, so if he has a relatively new e-Golf, it should have both the general timed charge issue (TSB 2040470) and the Clipper Creek issue taken care of.

Last word I heard is that they (VW USA) are still saying "Swap the charging unit for a new one" for the Clipper Creek issue.

My issue is still not resolved. It charges or several miles 8-10 then stops charging. It's almost like the car went into a sleep mode because when I open the drivers door it wakes up and starts charging again. They have already replaced the charger and harness so I'm not sure what is next.

Good times.

preilly44 said:
My issue is still not resolved. It charges or several miles 8-10 then stops charging. It's almost like the car went into a sleep mode because when I open the drivers door it wakes up and starts charging again. They have already replaced the charger and harness so I'm not sure what is next.

Good times.
Does it do that on the charging station at the dealership? That is very strange for it to stop in the middle of actively charging.

brs456 said:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a silver 2016 SEL with driver-assist. It was the only one I could find anywhere, and it LITERALLY pulled in off the truck during my phone call to the Pasadena dealership with 5 miles on it. Service dept. was closed by the time I got there so they weren't able to inspect the vehicle before letting me take it off the lot. They're bringing the car to my work tomorrow and will be getting the keys in the afternoon. I can't wait to be an e-Golf owner and I'm excited to use the adaptive cruise control and park-assist. My wife's car has these features and they're incredible.

Ryan

Hi Ryan

How does the adaptive cruise control work on the eGolf? My sister-in-law has this on her new Prius and it's great. Slows the car down to a complete stop and then picks up when the car in front starts moving again. Perfect for stop and go traffic.

If the eGolf can do full-stop adaptive cruise control and close to 200 mile range by the time my lease is up, I would be seriously tempted to get the new eGolf. Right now I have my money on a Model 3 but who knows when that will be delivered.

butcho323 said:
brs456 said:

Ryan

Hi Ryan

How does the adaptive cruise control work on the eGolf? My sister-in-law has this on her new Prius and it's great. Slows the car down to a complete stop and then picks up when the car in front starts moving again. Perfect for stop and go traffic.

If the eGolf can do full-stop adaptive cruise control and close to 200 mile range by the time my lease is up, I would be seriously tempted to get the new eGolf. Right now I have my money on a Model 3 but who knows when that will be delivered.

Hi all, sorry for slacking in my responses! I didn't have the notifications set correctly. You know what... I haven't seen that my e-Golf even has adaptive cruise control, nor does it have blind-spot monitoring! I have the driver assist package and thought I'd get getting it, but don't see it anywhere. Big let down!

I'll look at my paperwork regarding the power harness work they did prior to giving me the car. I love the car, so far! Aside from not having adaptive cruise control and blind-spot monitoring, that is!

http://www.vw.com/models/driver-assistance/

Pretty misleading, if you ask me.

Although, it DOES show these, so I should have paid closer attention.

egolf.png

golfr.png

brs456 said:
butcho323 said:
brs456 said:

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Hi all, sorry for slacking in my responses! I didn't have the notifications set correctly. You know what... I haven't seen that my e-Golf even has adaptive cruise control, nor does it have blind-spot monitoring! I have the driver assist package and thought I'd get getting it, but don't see it anywhere. Big let down!

I'll look at my paperwork regarding the power harness work they did prior to giving me the car. I love the car, so far! Aside from not having adaptive cruise control and blind-spot monitoring, that is!

http://www.vw.com/models/driver-assistance/

Pretty misleading, if you ask me.

Although, it DOES show these, so I should have paid closer attention.

egolf.png

golfr.png

I wasn't able see the images you posted but I did find the following description on VW's website for the eGolf Driver Assistance package:

This package offers driver confidence in the form of features like Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist) and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist) to help put you more comfortably and confidently in the driver’s seat.

Looks like it doesn't include adaptive cruise control. Darn. I really like this feature and have decided that all my future cars must have this feature. Bonus points if they can control the steering wheel too but I find keeping the car in the center of the lane is much less work than controlling the speed.

It's very disappointing to me that the Golf and Golf Sportwagen get the full suite of driver assistance features and the e-Golf only gets 3 of the 7 assistance features.

The ones that the e-Golf does have are:
  • Front Assist (Forward Collision Warning & Autonomous Emergency Braking)
  • Park Assist (Auto-steer for parallel parking)
  • Park Pilot (Park Distance Control)

The ones that are missing from the e-Golf are:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Lane Assist
  • Blind Spot Monitor
  • Rear Traffic Alert

As a side note, all 2015 e-Golf (SEL and LE) have Park Pilot as a standard feature.

Since it seems like the combination of features changes each year, I wonder when we will learn what he 2017 model year Driver Assist feature set looks like.

Back