VW announces 300 mile range / 15 minute charge car by 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VW is showing an all new EV concept car they are calling the ID Concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHC1vhM5xIg

VW shows renderings of ID electric-car concept for Paris Motor Show

160928105507-vw-id-concept-paris-back-780x439.jpeg

volkswagen_showcar_id_6497.jpg

It is ~15cm shorter than the Golf, but has a significantly longer wheelbase. They are saying 400-600km range for different battery packs - which is ~248-372 miles. Production is 2020 - which sounds realistic.

This is based on a ground-up new EV chassis, called MEB:

(click on image for link)

And it is not some "body" they are already building. It is not unlike the Nissan IDS Concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnB0MGt2piU

http://youtu.be/iErN6gh3veU

Volkswagen I.D. EV Concept Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver

Volkswagen-I.D.-Concept-Front-03.jpg

I have to wonder if we will be seeing this at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, NV beginning of 2017? The rear view camera's instead of side view mirrors is a concept they employed on the XL1 hybrid.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-volkswagen-xl1-first-drive-review

Here's another link which includes a mention of the 100-130 mile eGolf
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/236613-meet-the-vw-id-electric-car-300-plus-mile-range-in-2020-self-driving-by-2025

Did you write $50 a month? whoa. I'm on the east coast and thinking about leasing a 2017 eGolf for 3 years (I've had a Mercedes B-Class Electric for a flawless 3 years/32,000 miles but the lease is up) How do I get the best lease deal in the NY/NJ area? I can shop in NY area, Manhattan, and northern NJ........ my "dream" EV is the I.D. concept van. I know that is a long shot.

Sorry for being skeptical, but I'll believe when I see it. Did VW plunk down enough cash to reserve a battery supply? If not, the rollout of the Crozz will look like what happened with the Hyundai Ioniq and probably soon to be "available" Kona.

f1geek said:
Sorry for being skeptical, but I'll believe when I see it. Did VW plunk down enough cash to reserve a battery supply? If not, the rollout of the Crozz will look like what happened with the Hyundai Ioniq and probably soon to be "available" Kona.
Yes, VW has contracts with battery manufacturers totaling $24B USD covering many years into the future.

https://insideevs.com/vw-group-16-ev-production-sites-by-2022/

In the link you referenced, there is this quote: "So far the company has yet to decide on a supplier for North America." So that $24 billion is not for NA production. And yet VW announced they will be making the new EVs for USA in the USA. So where are the batteries coming from and when will VW pony up the cash or at least sign a contract? I'm still skeptical.

f1geek said:
In the link you referenced, there is this quote: "So far the company has yet to decide on a supplier for North America." So that $24 billion is not for NA production. And yet VW announced they will be making the new EVs for USA in the USA. So where are the batteries coming from and when will VW pony up the cash or at least sign a contract? I'm still skeptical.

What about that little battery plant on Electric Avenue in Sparks NV? I think Panasonic is still part owner and can sell batteries to whoever they please. This article (March 2018) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...illion-battery-supplies-in-electric-car-surge implies Panasonic may be the supplier.

There must be pretty good battery contracts in place with all the VAG electrification going on with Audi, Porsche, and VW. They appear pretty serious.

Meanwhile, the iPace looks interesting. Jaguar's resale value is not exactly like a Honda so maybe in 3 or 4 years the iPace could be a used car bargain.

There are a lot of claims. For now electric around town and ICE for road trips is the answer for us.

The Bloomberg article is dated March 18, 2018. It says "The German manufacturer’s plans to build as many as 3 million of the cars a year by 2025 is backstopped by deals with suppliers including Samsung SDI Co., LG Chem Ltd. and Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd. for batteries in Europe and China. With the powerpack deliveries secured for its two biggest markets, a deal for North America will follow shortly, Volkswagen said. "

It's September now. Shortly? I think not.

Another quote from the article: "part of its electric-car push, which includes three new models in 2018 with dozens more following. " What 2018 models? We can't even get e-Golfs more than a few at a time. Where are these 2018 models? Sure, the Audi e-Tron is coming and so is the Taycan, but the Taycan probably won't be on sale until 2019 and the e-tron is going to cost $60k or above. THe article also references Mattias Muller. He was canned. So out the door with his vision.

Do you really believe Tesla is going to give up some of its battery supply to VW? Musk stated he didn't want VW meddling in Tesla business. Tesla wants to sell tons (literally) of powerwalls and powepacks. Instead you really think they'll sell to VW? I doubt it.

Look, it's good to be optimistic, but I'm still very skeptical and just can't get excited about anything VW says. VW has been mostly talk about EVs for many, many years and until they sell anywhere near what Chevrolet or Nissan sells, it really hard to believe any news from VW.

Oh and I just checked VW inventory for e-Golfs - there are a WHOPPING 4 cars available in the SF Bay area. I know people who would like to purchase, but with so few available it's impossible to negotiate. I was able to get $7500 slashed from the MSRP of my 2017 back when there were dozens in the area, but no dealers are willing to provide that sort of deal right now.

f1geek said:
The Bloomberg article is dated March 18, 2018. It says "The German manufacturer’s plans to build as many as 3 million of the cars a year by 2025 is backstopped by deals with suppliers including Samsung SDI Co., LG Chem Ltd. and Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd. for batteries in Europe and China. With the powerpack deliveries secured for its two biggest markets, a deal for North America will follow shortly, Volkswagen said. "

It's September now. Shortly? I think not.

Another quote from the article: "part of its electric-car push, which includes three new models in 2018 with dozens more following. " What 2018 models? We can't even get e-Golfs more than a few at a time. Where are these 2018 models? Sure, the Audi e-Tron is coming and so is the Taycan, but the Taycan probably won't be on sale until 2019 and the e-tron is going to cost $60k or above. THe article also references Mattias Muller. He was canned. So out the door with his vision.

Do you really believe Tesla is going to give up some of its battery supply to VW? Musk stated he didn't want VW meddling in Tesla business. Tesla wants to sell tons (literally) of powerwalls and powepacks. Instead you really think they'll sell to VW? I doubt it.

Look, it's good to be optimistic, but I'm still very skeptical and just can't get excited about anything VW says. VW has been mostly talk about EVs for many, many years and until they sell anywhere near what Chevrolet or Nissan sells, it really hard to believe any news from VW.

Oh and I just checked VW inventory for e-Golfs - there are a WHOPPING 4 cars available in the SF Bay area. I know people who would like to purchase, but with so few available it's impossible to negotiate. I was able to get $7500 slashed from the MSRP of my 2017 back when there were dozens in the area, but no dealers are willing to provide that sort of deal right now.

It is possible that one day, when nobody is really looking, VW will dump 2018 e-Golfs on the market. As it is right now, they have lots, and lots and lots of low mileage used TDI's that they had to take back, due to CARB, that they are now releasing and selling, back on the market, that they need to get their money out of. You can still buy New 2016 Touareg TDi's, and VW isn't budging on the price of them, and they are 3 year old cars, still, that they are getting new car prices for.

So.... with so much inventory in cars here in the USA, VW's new and used, I can understand why selling a few e-Golfs in 2018 model is on their back burner list. Not until they liquidate a bunch of used TDI's first, my crystal ball says it ain't gonna happen.

VW didn't have the e-Golf as a 2018 USA model on their website until very recently you may be on to something JT. Wasn't it around Fall last year when 2017s became available in the USA also?

TDIs (both VWs and Audis) are trickling out now. Obviously carefully metered out so as to keep supply short and demand high to try and keep prices high. Audi are selling some TDIs as CPO, but VW not so much. The emissions extended warranty on "fixed" used TDIs is pretty attractive as well. Very tempting with the emissions warranty (covers all the really scary expensive stuff needed to keep the engine running clean).

VW USA mentioned a 2018 e-Golf? Where? Please provide the link. I have been told by three Bay Area VW dealers there will be no 2018 model year e-Golf.

f1geek said:
VW USA mentioned a 2018 e-Golf? Where? Please provide the link. I have been told by three Bay Area VW dealers there will be no 2018 model year e-Golf.

I know, I was kinda shocked myself. It was not on their website in the not-too-distant past.

http://www.vw.com/models/

Scroll to the bottom of the Golf section of the page and low and behold...

Oops, minor detail, you click on "build your own" and it takes to "new" 2016 and 2017 model year cars. Devil in the details I guess.

Ok, I see you can build a 2016 (wonderful!) or 2017 model. I still don't see a 2018 model. Am I missing something? If not, this confirms, so far, there is NO 2018 e-Golf.

Yeah, pretty whacky. How does "build to order" work on a 2016 or even 2017?! They were already built after all.

Yes, so far, no 2018s and there may not be any. What is strange is adding the e-Golf to the VW USA 2018 model website (where the e-Golf did not appear at all earlier this year) and then when you drill down there are only 2016 and 2017? Almost a bait and switch kinda thing.

The build tool for VW in the US is only to show you what colors and options are available for each trim level. You cannot order anything from the web site and the dealer cannot custom order from the factory. They only thing the dealer can do is try to get the car configuration you want from VW America inbound or at-port inventory.

Back